Boinc icon

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Liamlee
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Boinc icon

Post by UBT - Liamlee »

Is there a way of taking the boinc manager icon off of my task bar?

Many Thanks
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

You can install BOINC as a service, can't remember which page to point you to which tells you how to do it without having to reinstall it

Edit: If you just don't want to see it and are running XP then you can ask the task bar/systray to hide it

or

If you are hiding it from someone on there computer then run it as a service
UBT - PaulT

Post by UBT - PaulT »

This might be a bit vague as I'm typing this from memory but it should work.  I run Linux so can't test it.

If your running Windows XP goto the taskbar properties.  There is a tick box with "Hide Inactive Icons"  Select the customise box by this tick box.  This sould bring up a list of all icons that have ever appeared.  Find the BOINC Icon and Right click.  This brings up a scroll box with various options. Select "Always Hide" and apply/ok.

Don't know about other versions of windows though

Hope this helps
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - PaulT wrote:This might be a bit vague as I'm typing this from memory but it should work.  I run Linux so can't test it.

If your running Windows XP goto the taskbar properties.  There is a tick box with "Hide Inactive Icons"  Select the customise box by this tick box.  This sould bring up a list of all icons that have ever appeared.  Find the BOINC Icon and Right click.  This brings up a scroll box with various options. Select "Always Hide" and apply/ok.

Don't know about other versions of windows though

Hope this helps
This does work, but you will end up with a little white arrow like a "<" on the task bar, which enables you to unhide the icons (if clicked).

So, if you were looking to "hide" BOINC on a company PC for instance, it could still be seen by someone like an admin.

Better to run as a service.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Liamlee
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - Liamlee »

Many Thanks guys very helpful info Thanks again
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

I've just changed a couple of mine to run as service.

This is what I did.
stop boinc and boincmgr (make sure they're stopped with task manager)
backup the boinc directory (I just did a right click copy)
delete the original boinc directory
re-install boinc, choose the option to run as service, give the username ans passwords etc
let it install
DON'T LET THE INSTALLER START BOINC
say yes to start at bootup

when its finished installing, just restore your backup boinc directory (delete the new boinc and rename your copy of boinc)
remove boincmgr from the startup folder
you'll maybe have to reboot

and thats it
no boinc icon in the system tray
boinc starts at bootup even if no-one logs in
all you "before" projects and WUs are still there

usual disclaimer
run the above at your own risk, MAKE A BACKUP
it worked for me but who knows if it'll work for you
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

You don't have to uninstall if you get a upgraded BOINC or same BOINC and copy over the top when it comes to installation you just choose service install and it will do it for you, no having to prat around with backups as none of the data is lost the settings of BOINC are just altered to run as a service
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Temujin wrote:UBT-Stats

Nice stats John......

Here's an idea for you:

How about a new chart that shows projects along the top and the user names down the left side - and the columns show the individual total credits by project - then the "colour" of the "credits" would show if that Team member crucnhes that project for UBT or for another team:

Such as:

Name    \   Project> SETI      CPDN    Einstein   Rosetta, etc
UBT - Timbo          200,561   26,276    46,143    4,824
etc
etc

There's something like it here:

http://www.boincsynergy.com/stats/index ... earchteam=

But it would be "nicer" in a proper table format....like your UBT-Stats maybe??

regards,

Tim
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Nice stats John......
thanks Tim, theres been a good few late nights/early mornings and an awful lot of learning to get it where it is. :sleepy2:

Here's an idea for you:
How about a new chart that shows projects along the top and the user names down the left side - and the columns show the individual total credits by project -
oh flippin heck mate, I'm still knee deep in this, trying loads of stuff to get that damned colour config page to work right.
I don't think many people would use it once its finished but its a challenge and its got me hooked.
I've got 2 versions under way,
1 where all the buttons pass over the selected values correctly but only adjust 1 element at a time
and the 2nd that adjusts all the elements but doesn't pass em over (looks really cool) sneak preview have alook at OddRow or Text Colour1
and dya think I can get either of em to do what the other one does :banghead:

But, I like your idea, could do that fairly easy I think (for the projects I support)
then the "colour" of the "credits" would show if that Team member crucnhes that project for UBT or for another team:
ALL the users are in UBT, I get them from each projects UBT page, each hour
Such as:
Name    \   Project> SETI      CPDN    Einstein   Rosetta, etc
UBT - Timbo          200,561   26,276    46,143    4,824
etc
etc
yep, I get it, shouldn't be too difficult
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

dya mean something like this?
I'll tidy it up when I get a bit of spare time