Whats happening for the next crunch weekend?

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Halifax-lad

Whats happening for the next crunch weekend?

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

OK slightly early seen as though this one has not finished yet  :lol:

Just wondered whats in the pipeline for the next weekend :?:

I think that we should try and concentrate on WCG (World Community Grid) for the next planned crunch weekend.

The main reason been we are aiming to be the top team in all projects or at least to be as close as possible. WCG needs a bit of work on it, we are at 180th and those of us crunching for WCG have done a ace job in the last month we have gone up 34 places.

The one disadvantage is it could take a short period of time for the credits to crawl in to us, but I can see the project benefiting greatly from a weekend of us crunching for it.

Looking at BOINCstats you can see a lot of the teams ahead of us have got a lower RAC then us so were coming to kick there butts. also a lot of the teams are going down or just not moving at all.

So this one big push could help us rise rapidly up the board and give us a fighting chance to get up with the best.

Edit: Rosetta WU's take around 4hrs on my machine & the FightAids@Home take around 10hrs.

I just run both through WCG as can't be bothered switching to just 1 project through them :lol:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Whats happening for the next crunch weekend?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:OK slightly early seen as though this one has not finished yet  :lol:

Just wondered whats in the pipeline for the next weekend :?:

I think that we should try and concentrate on WCG (World Community Grid) for the next planned crunch weekend.

The main reason been we are aiming to be the top team in all projects or at least to be as close as possible. WCG needs a bit of work on it, we are at 180th and those of us crunching for WCG have done a ace job in the last month we have gone up 34 places.

The one disadvantage is it could take a short period of time for the credits to crawl in to us, but I can see the project benefiting greatly from a weekend of us crunching for it.

Looking at BOINCstats you can see a lot of the teams ahead of us have got a lower RAC then us so were coming to kick there butts. also a lot of the teams are going down or just not moving at all.

So this one big push could help us rise rapidly up the board and give us a fighting chance to get up with the best.

Edit: Rosetta WU's take around 4hrs on my machine & the FightAids@Home take around 10hrs.

I just run both through WCG as can't be bothered switching to just 1 project through them :lol:

Hi David,

I hadn't given it much thought except for the following:

The 1st Weekend Crunch was for SETI - this was so I could see if such an idea was "worthwhile" and SETI had the most chance of having available WU and the most number of Team members.

2nd Crunch was going to be for Rosetta, but in the end, due to issues with the project WU's, it sort of became a joint Rosetta/Einstein crunch.

And the 1st Crunchathon was really designed to give us a quick boost in order to become #1 UK SETI Team on/before 23rd June (our birthday).

So, my "feeling" is that it would be good to do a medical science project, that has got available WU's and good numbers of team members attached to it.

The choices are:

Leiden, Malaria, QMC, Ralph, Rosetta - mostly too small a number of members attached or projects in Alpha.

Predictor, SIMAP, WCG - one of these would be a good choice, I think.

My only concern is whether WCG is actually "easy" to install the BOINC version - as although we are generating credits on WCG, some of them aren't counted towards the BOINC credits. And although the instructionsa re clear (on our website) so, I'd be keen to ensure that if any credits are earned, that they benefit both project and BOINC Team....

Any views as to whether the install process has got any easier, or is it the same as always?

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Its the same as any over BOINC project if you follow the instructions and sign up for BOINC and not UD

If someone is using UD not obviously the credits don't count in the BOINC XML files, but if you use BOINC then all is fine
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

I reckon we go for:-

a - the project we are doing the worst at.
b - one that all can join.

Dave said that we are at 180 at WCU so that does seem to be an obvious one, however, Fightaids at 10 hours per WU that would only give a max of 5 WU over the weekend so the WCU/Rosetta would be the prefered choice in my opinion. Difficulty being we'd all have to make sure that this was selected from the WCU page as both are enabled by default. Fightaids could be one for the next Crunchathon.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

Well it doesn't matter which WU's you do as longer ones give you more credit, so either way it evens its self out.

Personally I would keep mine set to both so that I had a mixture of small & long ones, that way I get small credits & large credits.

If you want the figures to rise quickly then it doesn't matter which you do the small ones will rise you slowly and the long ones would rise your total up slightly quicker, as you get more credit for those.

Also I have never know WCG to be down, and the WU's keep coming so all in all, its a good candidate

Edit: As soon as I get the WU's in I'm processing I will work out what the approximate average credit awarded is per different type of WU
UBT - Halifax-lad

WCG run times & credit granted

Had enough WU's already in to work out a average, all I have done is taken the results from 4 Wu's from each project

Rosetta Application runs between 3.5hrs & 6hrs

Average Credit - 33.5 Cobblestones

FightAids@home runs between 7hrs & 8hrs (so wasn't 10 like I thought it was)

Average Credit - 65.75 Cobblestones

Obviously these are only rough estimated figures and will vary from machine to machine, as you can see it looks like it really doesn't matter which one you run as you more or less get the same for each project.

Eg - 2 Rosetta Wu's average 1 FAAH Wu
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: WCG run times & credit granted

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Rosetta Application runs between 3.5hrs & 6hrs Average Credit - 33.5 Cobblestones

FightAids@home runs between 7hrs & 8hrs (so wasn't 10 like I thought it was) Average Credit - 65.75 Cobblestones

Obviously these are only rough estimated figures...
Hi David,

I've just re-attached to WCG, to give another go.

On my P4 @3GHz (with HT), the "To completion" times I've got (before each WU was started - each is set to 100% with no other projects now running) were:

Rosetta - 2:35:13
FAAH - 6:12:32

And yet, for the first WU's now being crunched this is where I stand:

Rosetta - @ 57.71% complete after 5:14:55 (with 2:40:53 to run !)
FAAH - @ 37.41% complete after 5:56:55 (with 6:09:16 still to run !)

Frankly, I'm shocked... and :?

Maybe I've become accustomed to optimised clients on some projects completing WU's in far less time.....!!

Any comments ??

regards,

Tim

(edited: FAAH percentage)
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

That sounds correct as you have been naughty and not crunched in a long time and just reattached, BOINC now needs to learn how long it takes to do a WU, the estimates even themselves out eventually as it learns what happened before.

Also remember the WU's are doing a lot more complex calculations so they do take longer than other projects, the time taken to crunch is nothing really, its less than 10 hrs for 99.9% WU's
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Rosetta - @ 57.71% complete after 5:14:55 (with 2:40:53 to run !)
FAAH - @ 37.41% complete after 5:56:55 (with 6:09:16 still to run !)
FAAH at 12 hours? You're lucky! Downloaded some last night, they haven't started yet but are showing 22 hours to completion! But as I haven't done any for several weeks, as Halifax said, the times will drop once they start. Might be a few more days before they start as deadline dates for 50/60 others are sooner.

So, for new users, these completion times might be a bit scary, and if they like the quicker WU's they might be put off.

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

My 1st ones were estimated at 21 hrs but they all take around 8hrs on average, longest it has taken is 9hrs, as soon as BOINC goes to get some more work from there BOINC will guesstimate the estimated time until completion and give some betters guesses at how long it will take
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

As above!

FAAH started at over 20 hours but they have dropped to less than 9 hours. So scary to start with, but on a relatively fast computer drop to around 8-9 hours.

I assume we're gonna have a vote some time? Being a lowly Minister for Welsh Affairs I couldn't possibly comment!  :D

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:As above!

FAAH started at over 20 hours but they have dropped to less than 9 hours. So scary to start with, but on a relatively fast computer drop to around 8-9 hours.

I assume we're gonna have a vote some time? Being a lowly Minister for Welsh Affairs I couldn't possibly comment!  :D

Well, I've now got two PC's running WCG, to see how things are going:

PC1:
P4/256Mb RAM running at 2.4GHz using BOINC v5.2.13
WCG Rosetta WU - "To completion times" are: 5hr 27 min 40 sec

PC2:
P4/1Gb RAM running at 3.06GHz using BOINC v5.3.28
WCG Rosetta WU - "To completion times" are: 8hr 33 min 27 sec
WCG FAAH WU - "To completion times" are: 20hr 32 min 17 sec

Last completed WCG FAAH: 15+hr

I cannot understand how a faster PC with more memory can generate much slower completion times......!

Any comments??

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Yeah you have a Intel chip, the AMD chips seem to be able to crunch the data more quickly
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Yeah you have a Intel chip, the AMD chips seem to be able to crunch the data more quickly
Hi David,

Thanks for the info   8)

Y'know, I did try and put an AMD CPU in there before, but the pins didn't line up and when I hit it with a hammer to make it go in, some of the pins got bent and I then had to make up an adaptor, so I soldered on wires to each of the bent pins on the bottom of the AMD and then pushed the other end of each wire into the Intel socket, taking care to hold each one in place with a piece of match-stick and a bit of blu-tack.

Then had to re-jig the water-cooler (as I was overclocking the original CPU) and take the small bore copper water pipes around the case, as the new CPU had to be mounted on the side of the PSU, coz the wires going into the Intel socket were getting pretty warm when the PC was first switched on.

But I was very CAREFUL, to start with (as you hear about all these supposed incompatabilities, which I think is just marketing guff - it's like petrol - it all comes out of the same hole in the ground, whether it's Texaco this or BP that. Same with these CPU thingys...!)

So, anyways, to be sure, I disconnected my RAID drives, the 15 USB devices (but they are on 3 hubs, so no real trouble there), the twin freeview tuner, the Blu-Ray drive (new, so not wanting to damage that), and the quad-VGA card.

And it seemed to work quite well for about 15 seconds.

It was when it said "Good Morning Dave" that I sat up and took notice - and then yanked out the power cord...!

It's still sitting there in the corner, smirking at me. I daren't plug it back in, as it might be cross with me for pulling the plug !

:D

regards,

Tim