Gauntlet - The Gauntlet Challenge has ended

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Gauntlet - The Gauntlet Challenge has ended

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

The Kings International Gauntlet Challenge 2007 has now ended.

The OFFICIAL finishing positions and credit totals for the Gauntlet is here

With these results:

Code: Select all

Paddys and Ireland	3,081,091 (Paddys=366,820, Ireland=2,714,271 of which 2,666,629 came from 6 SETI.USA members !!)
Overclockers.com	2,803,519
BOINC.BE		2,615,197
UK BOINC Team		1,605,258
TeAm AnandTech		1,580,699
SETI.Germany		1,490,487
Dutch Power Cows	1,151,743
SETI@Netherlands	1,141,361
BOINC@Poland		925,697
OcUK - Overclockers UK	611,286
BOINC Synergy		487,892
Icewolves		372,091
Planet 3DNow!		332,567

It seems that as a team we've finished:

4th counting just the original 14 teams (The SETI@NL admins combined the "Ireland" and "Paddys in Space" teams together (making 13 teams in total).

Check here for the final stats.

If you want to see how well you did, over the 14 days, then look here

Thanks to all UBT members who contributed to our Gauntlet totals....maybe next time, we might do better....!

regards

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Considering First knight  came from nowhere and boosted 2 teams i think we did quite well and its really helped us go up 4 places ..... Nice 1 to all involved  
ImageImage
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

One thing I noticed is the during the Gauntlet I went up 40,000 places in the SETI  stats according to Boinc Stats. That's f**king amazing!

Now back to crunching for many projects so I'll lose all those places fairly guickly  :cry:
spiyda

Post by spiyda »

RodEllery wrote:One thing I noticed is the during the Gauntlet I went up 40,000 places in the SETI  stats according to Boinc Stats. That's f**king amazing!

Now back to crunching for many projects so I'll lose all those places fairly guickly  :cry:
Rod, did you notice how much your RAC went up too !
are you using the optimised client ?

I've been chasing you in Temujin's stats for some time, but zoomed past during the Gauntlet..  my RAC has almost doubled from what it was on CPDN !
I will be switching back, but it makes you think !

Chris  (-=Spiyda=-)
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Congratulations to Mr Random for pipping me at the post!!Image

He and I (positions 290 and 291 respectively) were neck and neck throughout the Gauntlet and finished just 77 credits apart!

Well Done Everyone on getting 4th Place as a Team!Image
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

melter65 wrote:Congratulations to Mr Random for pipping me at the post!!Image

He and I (positions 290 and 291 respectively) were neck and neck throughout the Gauntlet and finished just 77 credits apart!

Well Done Everyone on getting 4th Place as a Team!Image
Why thank you Mr Melter,  :wink:

It was very close at the end, 77 credits is little more than one WU difference....  :shock:

..so I'm quite glad I remembered to hit the update button just before six pm last Sunday.  :D
Timby

Post by Timby »

RodEllery wrote:One thing I noticed is the during the Gauntlet I went up 40,000 places in the SETI  stats according to Boinc Stats. That's f**king amazing!

Wow Rod thats amazing, it prompted me to take a look for mine and I was amazed to see I had moved a few places as well ??

111360 to be exact.........Image

can't wait for the WCG to start now lol.

Any way its not about individuals its the team effort that counts and a HUGE well done to everyone.

Mark
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Moved up 6000 seti places in the 2 weeks  :lol:
with the practice week included went from 74000 up to 105000 credits
roll on wcg ImageImage
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Joshrandom wrote:..so I'm quite glad I remembered to hit the update button just before six pm last Sunday.  :D
Damn! I knew I'd forgotten to do something before I went to work on Sunday teatime!!Image :lol:  :lol:

EDIT: I went up 35,000 places according to BOINCstats! :D
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

spiyda wrote:Rod, did you notice how much your RAC went up too !
are you using the optimised client ?

I will be switching back, but it makes you think !

Chris  (-=Spiyda=-)
Yes, was using optimised.   Trouble was I lost a fast machine for a week cos wife took her laptop away to foreign climes. Couldn't leave it switched on overnight to get a few credits. Loooks like it won't be doung much BOINC'ing from now on. :(
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Some interesting reading here:

Just found out that First Knight actually crunches for:

SETI.USA !!

see here

and then look and see how  many people have suddenly left team "Ireland" AFTER the Gauntlet finished....

here

and

here

Looks to me like "Ireland" won due to a large influx of members (ok - I checked - 6 of 'em) from SETI.USA !!

Maybe we should call for a recount ??

Certainly looks like some tactical crunching !!

But why didn't they just register as SETI.USA ??? Or maybe they didn't register in time and just thought we'll join another team....!

regards

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Guess theres no point now but i think  if we go into another gauntlet it should be limited only to members that have been in a team over a certain amount of time eg when the gauntlet is announced.
It just shows you some people will do anything to win even if its just for fun.
God bless them all  :lol:
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

mickyb69 wrote:Considering First knight  came from nowhere and boosted 2 teams i think we did quite well and its really helped us go up 4 places ..... Nice 1 to all involved  
ImageImage
Posted 18th nov  :o
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

mickyb69 wrote:Guess theres no point now but i think  if we go into another gauntlet it should be limited only to members that have been in a team over a certain amount of time eg when the gauntlet is announced.
It just shows you some people will do anything to win even if its just for fun.
God bless them all  :lol:
Hi Micky,

Maybe you're right...but we're not the admins of the Gauntlet..so we can only do our bit and hope that someone publishes some basic rules to prevent this sort of thing happening again (and assuming this sort of thing is frowned on).

I think it has certainly "tainted" the Gauntlet a little tiny bit...and I think if the Gauntlet admins plan another one, then I'd certainly suggest that a further check must be made on members and the teams they are supporting....but how that could be easily "checked" might be too time-consuming.... as the current "system" seems to allow this "loop-hole"...!

However, as SETI@NL have already said, in the end it's the project that wins...which is the most important thing....and the Gauntlet was really just for fun, rather than being a serious "competition".

regards

Tim
sigma-7

Post by sigma-7 »

One word

CHEATERS!
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

something can only be described as cheating if it is against published rules.
I don't remember seeing anything about a minimum period of team membership.
They were in their teams and registered before the gauntlet started which was the only relevant rule.

All clean and above board as far as I'm concerned
sigma-7

Post by sigma-7 »

Ok bent the rules

Same thing to me
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

sigma-7 wrote:One word

CHEATERS!
Hi,

I think that's bit harsh....!

All they did was to get involved with another team for the duration of the Gauntlet...

And as there was no specific rule to prevent this, then it's allowed...

Whether it is morally right is for others to give their own opinions.

Personally, I think it would have been better if it hadn't been like this...but it was...all I'm doing to highlighting that this happened... there's no sour grapes from my point of view.

regards,

Tim
david

Post by david »

Hmmm certainly not cheating if the rules don't preclude the practice

However it is certainly against the intended spirit of the event which was harmless fun

Still the win at all costs philosophy is well and truly alive

David
david

Post by david »

Hmmm certainly not cheating if the rules don't preclude the practice

However it is certainly against the intended spirit of the event which was harmless fun

Still the win at all costs philosophy is well and truly alive

David