3rd Weekend Crunch - which project?

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

3rd Weekend Crunch - which project?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Talk has already started with regards to the selection of a worthy project to be the subject of the 3rd Weekend Crunch, which (I'd like to suggest) will take place over the last weekend of May - 27th and 28th to be precise.

I've already mentioned in a previous post here: http://forum.ubt.boincteam.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=282

that the obvious candidates are most likely a "medical science" project and that there are probably three best options, including (in alpha order)

Predictor
SIMAP
WCG

So, the question is: Are these acceptable to the forum members? If so, then I'm happy to put together a poll and see which project gets the most votes.

Any seconders or other suggestions??

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Wouldn't touch predictor for a weekender or crunchathon, not after what they did this weekend anyway :lol:

They need to earn my trust again now

So its WCG for me on the basis its the one that needs the most help from us at the moment in relation to credit, also the science is very important especially FAAH (FightAids@home) as that is the only project directly dedicated to the cause
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote: So its WCG for me on the basis its the one that needs the most help from us at the moment in relation to credit, also the science is very important especially FAAH (FightAids@home) as that is the only project directly dedicated to the cause
Good argument for WCG.
It will get my vote.

Jimmy
UBT - Halifax-lad

With any luck we could also increase the number of active participants for WCG at the same time as doing a weekend crunch, gives us a chance to get active over there and hopefully recruit a few more for the cause.
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:With any luck we could also increase the number of active participants for WCG at the same time as doing a weekend crunch, gives us a chance to get active over there and hopefully recruit a few more for the cause.
Fingers Crossed.  :occasion5:
UBT - GysmoSan

Post by UBT - GysmoSan »

Sounds good to me  8)

Martin
UBT - BHCJackie

Post by UBT - BHCJackie »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Wouldn't touch predictor for a weekender or crunchathon, not after what they did this weekend anyway :lol:
So what happened Dave?

I'm happy to do Predictor or WCG as I'm already doing them and I'd rather not sign up for another project
UBT - Halifax-lad

Predictor sent out some new WU's, there all had errors in them, so needed aborting.

However what predictor did was send a message to all the BOINC Clients to leave a messages in the tab to say please abort all WU's which such and such a name. Whilst doing this they forgot to close a tag in the message, so it errored out a whole host of peoples WU's, lots of CDPN WU's were lost and all other kinds of problems, projects vanishing out of BOINC, etc etc.

They have corrected this error now and also BOINC Client has been adjusted to not do this again. Luckily it didn't happen to be as we were doing a SETI Crunch
Mark L.

Post by Mark L. »

Personally,

I'm not bothered which project we do.... so long as it is NOT seti   :laughing6:

Stig.
UBT - PaulT

Post by UBT - PaulT »

How about a weekend cruch for one of the climate projects  :lol:

I think the best I've ever had a model run is 2 days before it went belly up
UBT - Halifax-lad

I don't think I would personally do a climate project all weekend, I would have done at one point but I just use them as back-up projects now.

Edit: saying that I could have my arm twisted
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

I'd be happy to go with WCG. Individuals can chhose whether to go for the Aids project (with longer WUs) or the rosetta based protein stuff.

Rod
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mark L. wrote:Personally,

I'm not bothered which project we do.... so long as it is NOT seti   :laughing6:

Stig.
Hi "Stig"

Nope - won't be doing another SETI crunch for quite a bit....! (Two in three months was a bit too much - but there were good reasons for it!).

For now, I s'pose we need to start gettting more members to support other "lesser" projects as well as the "main" ones. Then with more members with each project, a "Crunch" can be more effective.

regards,

Tim
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

WCG, Rosetta or Simap for me.

I'm just about to sign up to WCG, see how it goes :wink: