Boinc Gauntlet

SETI@home and SETI BETA - project now closed, maybe for good :-(
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi peeps,

OK, just an interim report.

We now have 55 members signed up for the Gauntlet out of a total of 973 members.

And based on the SETI@home RAC (as stated for 21st October), those same 55 members produce a RAC of 48,132.70

While the remaining 918 member produce a RAC of 49,959.15

In other words, our current Gauntlet Team makes up approx 50% of our SETI RAC....

This gives us a great chance of doing quite well in the Gauntlet challenge...!

regards

Tim
Seti-Netherlands
SETI@Netherlands member

Post by Seti-Netherlands »

FYI:

It must be even better than that, cause the RAC I published, is based on the 25 members in this post: http://forum.seti.nl/showpost.php?p=464091&postcount=3
The others I have not added yet.  :)

S@NL XP-Freak

[edit]I see now, you must have added the RAC yourself [/edit]  8)
spiyda

Post by spiyda »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
Then I found out that S@NL, wanted to "see" each and every registration...so I've not deleted any subsequent postings since...
so just in case...  for the benefit of S@NL  (and Tim, you already have my email and have registered me)

I'm In !    UBT- SPIYDA   8588722

Chris
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Seti-Netherlands wrote:...
[edit]I see now, you must have added the RAC yourself [/edit]  8)
Hi,

Yup, this was my own calculation, derived from the SETI management screen, so I could copy the total credits, RAC, account name and email address of each UBT member joined to SETI@home and then produce a "quick and dirty" spreadsheet, so I could then cut and paste the relevant email addy's - as well as producing the above post to SCARE all the other Gauntlet teams   :shock: :lol:

regards

Tim
Seti-Netherlands
SETI@Netherlands member

I'm not sure if the main team "position" in the TKIG ranking will be affected if we have "sub-teams" or whether the "sub-teams" total is added to the "main team" to give an overall total. I'll find out more and report back.
I have asked FilmFreak before.
He is then going to make a ranking of the main-teams too.
So it will not effect your team-total.

S@NL XP-Freak
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

MAVRIK wrote:
UBT - Mikee wrote:According to the pre stats we're the strongest team!

11 of us at the bottom holding up the other 210 participants!

Go team! (Or is that a bit early as we haven't actually started yet!)
Well it made me chuckle :lol:
Ooh look! I'm right at the bottom of the pile! Good job I've got strong shoulders! :lol:  :lol:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Good news...

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

A MAJOR "breakthrough" moment....!

We now have 63 members joined to our Gauntlet team....

And these 63 members currently contribute: 49,062.55 RAC

whereas, those other members (who aren't YET part of our Gauntlet team) only contribute: 49,029.25 RAC.

In other words, over HALF our RAC will now be contributed towards our Gauntlet total....!

Let's hope a few more join in...only a few days to go before the deadline for registrations...

regards

Tim
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

WOW ! Thats good going come on!!!

Terry
dangerous pete

Post by dangerous pete »

count me in please,      dangerous pete 8395310
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

dangerous pete wrote:count me in please,      dangerous pete 8395310
Hi,

Consider yourself counted in...!

regards

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

If you look at the second posting in this thread, you'll see the names of quite a few UBT members who have joined our Gauntlet team.

Now, just look at all the green arrows pointing upwards here (which is ordered by RAC in descending order).

Many of the names you may well recognise as they are in our Gauntlet team...and appear to be making an early start....

Good on yer...let's get some pending credits in the pile...!

regards

Tim
Gary

Post by Gary »

Bring it on !
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

was thinking about it yesterday .. :idea: need to build pending credits up to get a constant daily average ............. Do you think all members with low average should clear the WU's and build up pending ? Or am i just bein silly ? :wink:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

mickyb69 wrote:was thinking about it yesterday .. :idea: need to build pending credits up to get a constant daily average ............. Do you think all members with low average should clear the WUs and build up pending ? Or am i just bein silly ? :wink:
Not just low average (I suppose that means me as well with RAC of 4.33!) In order to get your WUs validated quickly you need to get several days worth in the cache. You don't actually have to start them yet if you don't want to.

Deadlines are now November/December so there's plenty of time to get them done. Any that are due soon will be started by the manager first so there shouldn't be a problem with them not finishing on time unless you have a really slow PC.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

mickyb69 wrote:was thinking about it yesterday .. :idea: need to build pending credits up to get a constant daily average ............. Do you think all members with low average should clear the WUs and build up pending ? Or am i just bein silly ? :wink:
Yes at least several days before hand and No. :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Micky,

To maximise our credits total on the Gauntlet, you should consider doing the following:

1) Decide which PC's are going to be crunching for SETI

2) Ensure that by, say, the end of this week, that these PC's are no longer able to download WUs from any other projects. (i.e. set other projects to "no new work"). This then gives you the best chance to be able to complete any other project WUs, before the Gauntlet starts.

3) If crunching on CPDN/BBC/Seasonal, then suspend the project.

4) Ensure that SETI@home is set to receive WUs

You can then start crunching SETI 100% for as long as your PC is on (coz not everyone runs 24/7).

The current SETI quorum is 2.

So, if you return a WU 1st, it may take a few days before you are awarded credit as the other person (crunching the same WU) might not complete it as quickly. So this will become a pending credit that will be added to your total, as soon as the WU is returned from the 2nd person.

If you return a WU after someone else has already returned theirs, then once validated, you will get instant credit.

Therefore, to maximise the SETI credits during the period 4th Nov-18th Nov, it makes sense to have a few "pending" credits before the Gauntlet starts, so that as and when they are awarded credits, then your total will increase.

(Of course, "when" people return WUs is entirely random - you cannot predict whether a WU you have crunched will be the 1st or 2nd to be returned. And with long deadlines, it might be that some WUs you return won't be credited until AFTER the Gauntlet - but this affects every team the same...so it's a pretty level playing field.

However, the best way to maximise your credits is to ensure you use as many resources at your disposal and crunch for as long as you can.

Personally, I'll be switching my small network over to SETI this weekend, thereby (hopefully) building up a few "pending credits" in advance of the Gauntlet.

regards

Tim
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

I've started early for just that reason ya gotta build those pendings to stand a chance :wink:
And besides my overall credits for this project is embarrassingly low  :oops:

Terry
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Terry wrote:....And besides my overall credits for this project is embarrassingly low  :oops:

Terry
Hi Terry,

I wouldn't be too worried about having a low overall credit for SETI @ home....after all, that's the beauty of BOINC - you can choose which projects to support - you don't HAVE to be attached to any you don't "like".

However, I'm very grateful that you will be part of our Gauntlet team, irrespective of how many credits you (or anyone else) will be able to contribute...after all...every little helps !

regards

Tim
Gary

Post by Gary »

25/10/2007 18:07:34|SETI@home|Reason: no work from project
:cry:  :cry:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Just having a look around and it looks like we'll have to split into 2 or more sub teams.

http://www.seti.nl/content.php?c=gauntl ... partipants

Any ideas if this is true and, if so, how are we going to go about it?

Image Image

UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Yeh 2 teams ...Big guns in 1 team and all us lickle ones in a creche. I don't mind getting the wooden spoon. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikee wrote:.....Any ideas if this is true and, if so, how are we going to go about it?
They said to start with that there would be "sub teams" of 20-30 members...

Not sure if we have any say as to how the teams are split up....

Have to wait and see, but it's supposed to be based on RAC....so that's Temujin on his own and everyone else in the other sub team....:oops:

regards

Tim
S@NL - FilmFreak
SETI@Netherlands member

Post by S@NL - FilmFreak »

We will decide which teams should split up to get a exciting competition. If you take a look at the test-graph, we may ask OC.com to split up to compete with DPC, and BOINC.BE to compete with Icewolves and the TeAm. And there will also be a graph of team totals.

BTW: I still have some unconfirmed signups, I put a ? behind them, these participants still need to mail me or leave a reply, then they can participate.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

S@NL - FilmFreak wrote:We will decide which teams should split up to get a exciting competition. If you take a look at the test-graph, we may ask OC.com to split up to compete with DPC, and BOINC.BE to compete with Icewolves and the TeAm. And there will also be a graph of team totals.
OK - so is it one team against another???

regards

Tim
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

S@NL - FilmFreak wrote:We will decide which teams should split up to get a exciting competition. If you take a look at the test-graph, we may ask OC.com to split up to compete with DPC, and BOINC.BE to compete with Icewolves and the TeAm. And there will also be a graph of team totals.

BTW: I still have some unconfirmed signups, I put a ? behind them, these participants still need to mail me or leave a reply, then they can participate.

ANCHULA-MARK      409572
S@NL - FilmFreak
SETI@Netherlands member

All teams and sub-teams compete against each other, so you're battling against your own team members. Or you could decide to get 1st and 2nd place with both sub teams (but you'll still both want to get 1st place of course).

Here's a list of people who haven't confirmed yet:

at40
Naon
shauny13uk
yerf
fifteen29
Yidaho
Daniel
Tyrion
James Burke
Tuscan Explorer
pc4084
Last edited by S@NL - FilmFreak on Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Seti-Netherlands
SETI@Netherlands member

S@NL - FilmFreak wrote: There is no one named Liz with UBT, the account number points to someone called Al, I've sent a mail to her to get more info on this. I'll update this post when I get more mails.
Liz should be account 1038245, according to Timbo.
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu//show_us ... id=1038245

:)
S@NL - FilmFreak
SETI@Netherlands member

Woops, my bad. But it's weird I can't find her on boincstats, perhaps a maximum number of search results.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

S@NL - FilmFreak wrote:Woops, my bad. But it's weird I can't find her on boincstats, perhaps a maximum number of search results.
Hi,

It's not a surprise....the XML's have got so many account names and some of the shorter names, of course, occur many times...

So, it's not a surprise that some account data doesn't get tabulated....

But at least if you check the SETI site, then she has an account and is joined to our Team. So, it is a valid account to include...even if I did cut and pasted the WRONG number to start with...:oops:

(Or was I just checking to see if YOU were checking.....!!!!!! :wink: )

regards

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

S@NL - FilmFreak wrote:.....Here's a list of people who haven't confirmed yet:.....
Hi,

The names you listed have indeed been emailed to request their confirmation....of course not everyone checks their email every day, so hopefully there is still time, over the weekend, for the confirmations to arrive.

regards

Tim
Seti-Netherlands
SETI@Netherlands member

S@NL - FilmFreak wrote:Woops, my bad. But it's weird I can't find her on boincstats, perhaps a maximum number of search results.
Or maybe it was too long ago she did any BOINC-work.
And now, because of the gauntlet started BOINC and S@H again.  :D

Boincstats of Liz
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Seti-Netherlands wrote:Or maybe it was too long ago she did any BOINC-work.
And now, because of the gauntlet started BOINC and S@H again.  :D

Boincstats of Liz
Hi,

Yup - I think you're right - she hasn't crunched much recently - so you are to be congratulated on helping us to re-invigorate one of our team...

I will return the compliment one day...!

regards

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

UBT Gauntlet team breaks through the 50,000 RAC

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Latest update:

With 74 members now signed up to the Gauntlet, I can confirm that this represents 50,519 credits in terms of RAC.

A second "Last call" email has been sent to a further 169 members, who represent a 49,538.61 RAC, so if they sign up...... :shock:

A further 731 members have not been contacted again, as they represent a mere 1,895.81 RAC...so if they didn't respond before, there's not much chance they'll respond now....

regards

Tim
Seti-Netherlands
SETI@Netherlands member

The Gauntlet will go on

I am very dissapointed that FilmFreak doesn't show himself more on the S@NL forum.
The last post from him was on october 19, that's 12 days ago.

I promise you all: I will not let this gauntlet end before it started.

If FilmFreak does not report back I have a kind of backup available.

There won't be any personal stats, but I can manage to produce the team results every day and make a nice graph like I the one I made for the RAC's in this thread.

If I am forced to take over, then:
  1. Any team that wants to split up, is allowed to do so.
  2. No single team is forced to split up.
  3. Overclockers.com will get a muliplier so there will be something to compete for them. Maybe one or two other teams will get a multiplier too. It depends a little wether teams are voluntary splitting up.
  4. Tell me if and how you are going to split up your team before friday 23.00 GMT  
  5. The teams of Paddy's in Space and Ireland will be brought together in one new team.
  6. All members that are listed in my thread are in.
  7. No new members will be added to this list.

So prepare yourself for the Gauntlet.

I will have to do some work to arrange for this, so I hope that Berkeley won't disappoint me too. :D

Furthermore, I hope FilmFreak returns so all can go on the way it was meant to be.
In that case it will be FilmFreak again that makes the rules.

I hope you all agrea. Let's have a good time.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Didn't realise there was a problem! I'm sure if there was we could treat it as a 14 day crunchathon anyway.

Thanks for informing us about the team structure. I assume that we won't be splitting into individual teams which will also mean that the multiplying factor won't apply to us - it'll be up to all the other teams to keep up! I hope you can get the multiplying right first time otherwise there might be a few complaints!

Anyway I, for one, am looking forward to the challenge! BRING IT ON!!

Image Image

UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Keep up the good work Seti-Netherlands ..any stats will do .
Hey , don't matter what happens im sure we will find a good excuse to have a few beers and cheeeeesy doritos ............ I'll drink to that  :occasion5:  :occasion5:  :occasion7:  :homework:  :drunken:  :drunken:  :pukeright:
~ Daniel ~
UBT Contributor

Post by ~ Daniel ~ »

Hi,
I signed up via the email invite and was added and was just reading the thread on the forum and I have a * by my name on the seti nl page and just wanted to confirm I wanted to do the gauntlet, although it is listed on the page of everyone entering

~Daniel~  394236

just wanted to confirm it and hope its not too late now.
What time does it actually start, is it midnight on the 4th Nov?

I shall visit the forum more in the future  :D

Daniel
~ Daniel ~
UBT Contributor

Post by ~ Daniel ~ »

The Kings International Gauntlet 2007 will start at Sunday the 4th of November at 20:00 (GMT+1) and will end at Sunday the 18th of November at 20:00 (GMT+1).
just found when it starts, please ignore wanting the start time :)
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

~ Daniel ~ wrote:Hi,
I signed up via the email invite and was added and was just reading the thread on the forum and I have a * by my name on the seti nl page and just wanted to confirm I wanted to do the gauntlet, although it is listed on the page of everyone entering

~Daniel~  394236

just wanted to confirm it and hope its not too late now.
What time does it actually start, is it midnight on the 4th Nov?

I shall visit the forum more in the future  :D

Daniel
Welcome to the forum Daniel   :hello2:

There are a few names marked with a * on the seti@netherlands list, but I understand a few of those members have contacted the organisers to confirm their involvement, so I would guess that they just haven't got around to updating their list as yet.

Hopefully everything will become clear this weekend... :roll:

James
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

~ Daniel ~ wrote:Hi,
Hi

Yes - you're all signed up and ready to go!

Image Image

UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

2000 GMT +1 oooohhhh 9 o clock then  :?:  :drunken: Think im getting dumber by the day
Hi Daniel  welcome aboard  :sign2:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

mickyb69 wrote:2000 GMT +1 oooohhhh 9 o clock then  :?:  :drunken:
You're getting me confused now. Let's try and get this right. They're starting at 20:00 European time which is GMT+1. ie they are 1 hour ahead of us, which makes it 19:00 GMT (7PM) our time. Right?

OK - not sure if either Tim or myself will be here on the starting line on time. So I'll leave the starting gun here, if someone can pick it up and fire it at the right moment that'd be grand! :D

Image Image

UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Yes your right ,  :drunken: Forgot about it starting in Europe  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  7pm lets goooooooo :lol:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

25 minutes late but...

GO...

BTW found http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=M0e_57A4XV8 over on their forum. Bit of a larf!

Image Image

UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

UBT - Mikee wrote: BTW found http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=M0e_57A4XV8 over on their forum. Bit of a larf!
Not bad, ok who's doing the UKBOINC Team one :?:
Seti-Netherlands
SETI@Netherlands member

I posted the this on our forum for FilmFreak

http://forum.seti.nl/showpost.php?p=464 ... tcount=426

Could you confirm those two accountnumbers to FilmFreak please.

(And let me know too)

XP-Freak

[edit]
Temujin already answered on the S@NL-forum. Thanks.
[/edit]