BOINC on games console - Folding already on PS3

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Halifax-lad

BOINC on games console - Folding already on PS3

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

PS3 & Folding@Home

The PS3 will be able to run a special version of folding@Home

And Rom's response/blog to it and the possibility of BOINC on consoles.

Note: Going to be a long long time yet I think until the BONIC Dev's get around to doing anything like this (as indicated by Rom in his blog)
Last edited by UBT - Halifax-lad on Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Also some news from the BOINC Dev's:

1 year ago they asked MS for help to port BOINC to the Xbox they said NO :!:

2 days ago when the PS3 news 1st came out they asked again the answer was that MS will think about it (maybe)

So coming soon to an Xbox near you  :wink:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Latest news
We're negotiating with Sony to get BOINC and 2 or 3 BOINC-based projects running on the PS3 also.

Xbox has potential too; however, the potential speed of the PS3 (100 GFLOPS) is several times that of the Xbox. Also, Microsoft has not been forthcoming with help getting things running on the Xbox. And I don't think they'd ever help distribute BOINC; Sony has indicated a willingness to do this.
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

At last a reason to get a PS3 :lol:
Gary

Post by Gary »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:At last a reason to get a PS3 :lol:
Only if it will play all my ps2 games & the price comes down I'll think about buying one !  :x
Timby

Post by Timby »

Thats just been added to my sons Easter wish list
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

I'm with Gary way too pricey for my liking

Terry
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

PS3 the "backbone" of a supercomputer, they must have reprinted a PR handout (expect bigger packages or price drops if Sony need pushing so soon after launch)

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 572507.ece

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 572506.ece
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

What an insult to the like people like us who have been doing this over many projects for years god that winds me up  :!:  :!:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Terry wrote:What an insult to the like people like us who have been doing this over many projects for years god that winds me up  :!:  :!:
Hi Terry,

Best thing is to take up the challenge and use their "Have your say" link here:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... ments-form

That'll teach them!!

On the other hand, you have to admire the PR people that they have actually got this article printed.....remember the surge of interest in distributed computing when the Beeb did a program on climate change and the huge rise in the number of people who then started crunching BBC CPDN WUs.

As such, ANY publicity for distributed computing is really a god-send....OK, so we've known about it for years...but to many people, they don't know about it at all, so the extra publicity will help "the cause"....

And if BOINC comes to the PS3, I for one would buy a PS3 just for this (although not for £425 - maybe at £300 I'd be interested)....then I can gracefully retire my old workhorses....and I can still keep on crunching.

regards

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Already have Tim I remember crunching the original SAH many years ago on an old PII 166 Mgz and they've got the cheek to print that HUH !

Ok Rant over :wink:
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Nice one Tim

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 572506.ece

Incase the link doesn't work this is the quote from timesonline

"Of course, the BOINC project has been doing this type of distributed computing, on PCs, Macs, Linux and other systems, for some time. What is new is the amount of crunching power available on a PS3, which will help the research projects. And if the PS3 can also run the BOINC project, then it's a win-win situation. Happily, the top ranked UK BOINC Team (www.ukboincteam.org.uk) has been supporting such projects for some time.

Tim, Cambridge, UK"
Last edited by UBT-mark3346 on Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Timbo wrote:And if BOINC comes to the PS3, I for one would buy a PS3 just for this
me too, in fact its about the only reason I'd buy one
DavidH

Post by DavidH »

Hmmm, i too would be interested to grab a PS3 if it would play my old PS2 games as well, and the price came down, would be too good to be true to imagine you could hack about with it to run a media centre hooked off of my lan like i have done with my xbox

But does the PS3 utilise your pre-existing internet connection or do you have to get some proprietary rubbish ? i seem to remember a big to-do a while back about needing a separate connection for a PS2 and xbox, or am i thinking about a subsrciption to their servers ......

As a point of reference they quote a PS3 as realising 100Gflop, where does that put it relative to the AMD line of processors ?
UBT - Knightlight

Post by UBT - Knightlight »

DavidH wrote:Hmmm, i too would be interested to grab a PS3 if it would play my old PS2 games as well, and the price came down, would be too good to be true to imagine you could hack about with it to run a media centre hooked off of my lan like i have done with my xbox

But does the PS3 utilise your pre-existing internet connection or do you have to get some proprietary rubbish ? i seem to remember a big to-do a while back about needing a separate connection for a PS2 and xbox, or am i thinking about a subsrciption to their servers ......

As a point of reference they quote a PS3 as realising 100Gflop, where does that put it relative to the AMD line of processors ?
The PS3 20Gb version only has a hard wired ethernet cable socket, can pick up DHCP works much like a usual network adapter. How ever I haven't seen it on my local network as a computer name.   The PS3 has its own version of an Internet Browser and all the sites I tried worked well. The PS3 60Gb have both wireless and hardwired internet connection.

I have activated the Folding@Home, and its picking up data packets and processing them. I wouldn't mind the credits going towards the UK BOINC Team but how do I do that?
AndyJG247

Post by AndyJG247 »

Is there an answer to Knightlight's question?  I wouldn't mind my PS3 helping ukboincteam as well