Gauntlet email sent

SETI@home and SETI BETA - project now closed, maybe for good :-(
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Gauntlet email sent

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi,

The following email was sent on 21st October 2007, to all UBT SETI accounts (all 971 of them).

regards

Tim
You may or not be aware that SETI@Netherlands team has set up "The Kings International Gauntlet 2007", which will run from 8pm on 4th November, until 8pm on 18th November 2007 - a full fortnight of crunching competition.

More info is here: http://forum.seti.nl/showpost.php?p=463625&postcount=84

The idea is to get many different teams to "register" for this and so to compete against each other (on an unofficial basis), so that one "Gauntlet team" can be crowned as the "Gauntlet 2007" champions.

You can see the "test" page for the stats here: http://server.by014.net/~weezepoe/seti/gauntlet.php

And you can see the "test" page for the participants list here: http://server.by014.net/~weezepoe/seti/participants.php

The project chosen for this is SETI@home and UK BOINC Team is registered as a challenger.

Through our forum,

(here: http://forum.ukboincteam.com/viewtopic. ... =0&postord
er=asc&highlight= )

we have asked for UK BOINC Team members (who are crunching for SETI) to join in - so far, we have 19 members (out of a total of over 950 members who have joined our SETI team).

Hence this email.

We're asking YOU to join in the fun and to contribute towards our cause...!

How do you do that?

It's VERY easy - just reply to this email, including your SETI account name, that you DO WISH to be included and I will register your SETI account as part of our "Gauntlet team".

What are the "pro's and con's"??

Upside: The more UBT members we get, crunching for SETI@home, over the two weeks, the better our chances of winning.

Downside: None - your own individual crunching efforts are not sacrificed in ANY way - all that happens is that each "Gauntlet member" credits awarded during the two-week "Gauntlet" period are totalled together and then ranked, against other teams similar efforts.

You must hurry, as the CLOSING DATE for membership registration is 8pm on 28th October 2007....i.e. NEXT Sunday....!

So, please let me know that you DO want to be included....

Hopefully, if we can muster say 100 or 200 members to this competition, then we should have a great team assembled and we have a great chance of winning!!

regards

Tim
Founder,
UK BOINC Team

#1 UK ranked Team - UK's highest RAC per day
#31 World ranked Team
over 100 million credits now earned
over 1,170 members
Forum: http://forum.ukboincteam.com
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

UNFORTUNATELY.

Some members did not receive this email.

This is because of numerous reasons, such as:

1) Host unknown/invalidated - the email domain is not configured or recognised as an email server.

2) User unknown - someone has moved away or left the job. Either way, they haven't updated their SETI account details.

3) Member has a YAHOO or BTINTERNET account. Yahoo seem to like deferring emails and as such, I have no way of knowing if the email sent ( as shown in the previous post) has arrived.

I am working my way through the listing of returned emails and will provide on another posting to this thread the member names who probably didn't receive my email.

As such, if your member name appears, please update your SETI account with a working email address.

regards

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

OK, the following members had bad email addresses, which either deferred the email, rejected it or (mainly) coz the email address doesn't exist any more.

If you are on the list, please check the email address you have used on your SETI account and make sure it's correct.

(If you DID receive the email I sent, then you don't need to worry - as email servers usually try a few times to get the email delivered.....but I have no way of knowing if it was successful - all I see is the initial "problem" by way of the email bouncing back to me).

Administrator
ajh
Alan Kelly
Alex
allanbong
Andrew
Andrew Tarrant
Andy
Andy M
AndyA_UK
armshead
Aten
Axelf
Barry Johnson
Bernie
Big Al
bob
Captain Chaos
carlmc29670
Chris Waters
Christopher Marriott
daddy
Dale Wain
danman2k
Dave Irish
davecarr100
David
David
david
David
Deity
doj
Donna041986
Duane Harrison
Eddie Daughton
Eddiestar
eye_of_newt
ffpowis
FourthPlace
Gary McQueen
Graham Breach
Howard
Ian
itaoutthere
Jackins98
James Dennett
james mccormack
James.Whitehead
Jamie
JamP0t!
John
John_Naylor
John-Kenneth Habbershaw
johnny
Juan_Pablo
KaJiCkY
karl
karlandellie
Kev
kevan
kevan-in-devon
Krakatou
kytecs
Legoman
les_s
LURCH/MARK
lux
Madd
Mafriki
mark
Mark
matt
Mattewan
Michael
Mike Carden
Mike Ewers
Nathan Silveston
Phoenix
Pieter
pspinks
PuffyPipe
Ram Raider
Richard
Richard Dean
Richard Fletcher
richard.vallance
Rick
Robert Piasek
Roger
ronniehare
Steve Clarke
Steve L
Steve Watson
steven
Steven bland
Stewart
stuartkmarsh
SuttonSkySurfers
terryandfran
themagicbadger
theoryhybridlp
Tim
Tim Page
Timewave
tnelson
Toadie
Tom Jenkins
Tromso
tweedledum
UBT - Andrea
UBT - BHCJackie
ubt - davros
UBT - Graham Pike
UBT - Grumpy Old Bloke
UBT - Mikeejones
UBT - PennyQ
UBT Peter Moore
will
wintz
woody9973
yourmyfriend
zeeshan hussain

(If you want to know the EXACT reason, why an email I sent to you bounced", then please PM me and I'll provide the technical info to you, so you can query your email provider).

regards

Tim
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

A few familiar names there! :wink:  :lol:
UBT - PennyQ
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - PennyQ »

I got mine but it had been marked as 'Spam' by Orange  :shock: , so it might just be that a lot of the purported 'failures' are the same sort of thing.  Mind you, if people have set their mailbox so that anything marked as spam doesn't get delivered, then it might be bad after all!  :wink:
The impossible we do today; miracles take a little longer

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - PennyQ wrote:I got mine but it had been marked as 'Spam' by Orange  :shock: , so it might just be that a lot of the purported 'failures' are the same sort of thing.  Mind you, if people have set their mailbox so that anything marked as spam doesn't get delivered, then it might be bad after all!  :wink:
Hi Penny,

Thanks for that info.

I've been in touch with Yahoo, and they have sent me a huge long list of questions I need to answer, so that "ukboincteam.org.uk" can be considered to be a whitelisted sender of emails.

Otherwise, due to the number of emails I send at one time (over 3,000), I'll be considered to be a spammer....

So, in effect the spammers have won, coz my legitimate emails are being refused by (some) ISP's....

It's taken me 3 days already, going through the yahoo "process" to get as far as I have...still got some way to go....

I wonder? Am I going to have to do the same with all the other UK ISP's...?

Trouble is - there isn't really an alternative (to email) - at least until the majority of members of the team considers using the forum....the recent email about the Gauntlet has now generated nearly 50 EXTRA members of the Gauntlet team, where before we only had 19...!

regards

Tim
Gary

Post by Gary »

Just checked my BT Yahoo account and found the email in the bulk folder !
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

went into my junk folder on hotmail :cry:  :cry:  :crybaby:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

mickyb69 wrote:went into my junk folder on hotmail :cry:  :cry:  :crybaby:
Oh well...I s'pose there's no accounting for taste....:wink:

regards,

Tim
melter65
Active UBT Contributor