New Super Computer

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
Timby

New Super Computer

Post by Timby »

Do you think UBT could have a whip round for one of these??

http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?c ... &from=news  :shock:  :shock:   :shock:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: New Super Computer

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Timby wrote:Do you think UBT could have a whip round for one of these??

http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?c ... &from=news  :shock:  :shock:   :shock:
Hmmmm.....but there are some issues we need to consider....
Track 1: A Leadership-Class System

In the first award, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) will receive $208 million over 4.5 years to acquire and make available a petascale computer it calls "Blue Waters," which is 500 times more powerful than today's typical supercomputers. The system is expected to go online in 2011.
Firstly, I'm pretty sure that we need at least one of these for each Team member....so, funding wise, we'd need 1050 (members) x $208m = $218,400 million.....

OK, so if we have the same 4.5 years to raise the funds, then that makes it a little bit easier.

Secondly, though, I think we need it online long before 2011....I've heard of "lead times", but having to wait up to 5 years to start these up isn't going to help us in the short term.

Besides which, we might have achieved #1 world position before then anyways.... :wink:

In the meantime, I've got hold some of super-cooled mobo's using Zilog Z80A CPU's. You need to put them in your freezer and run some 30A twin and earth from the mains to the motherboard. They can't run BOINC yet....as I'm having some problems with the boards bursting into flames as soon as the mains is connected. :oops:

But with some extra development and a bit of UBT funding, I'm pretty sure I'll have them able to display "HELLO WORLD" on a screen sometime around 2009 (that's nearly ten past eight)...and then it's just a question of some extra work to add in RAID X, a few thousand 16k RAM packs and a direct link to the nearest power station and it'll be working....

All donations gratefully received.

PS: I've yet to dream up a decent code name for this project....answers on a postcard to the usual please.

regards

Tim
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

At least with one of those at UIUC, we shouldn`t run out of Cosmo WUs!
Rockinfroggi

Re: New Super Computer

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Timbo wrote: All donations gratefully received.

PS: I've yet to dream up a decent code name for this project....answers on a postcard to the usual please.

regards

Tim
Code name DOB....Dream on Buster  :?

A Noni Moss
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

Maybe we could ask our current CPDN Cheerleader! to ask a certain uncle if Richie would like to donate the funds for a good cause.

There could also be the possibility of a pack of chocolate hobnobs from every member sent directly to richies house, which is approx 21,000 biscuits - mmmmm

Did you know that 52 Chocolate Digestives are eaten every second in britain  :shock:
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:Did you know that 52 Chocolate Digestives are eaten every second in britain  :shock:
And that's just in Timbo's house!! :shock:  :wink:  :lol:  :lol: