Linux v's Windows

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Linux v's Windows

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

I've known computers down to ASM and electrons on NPN from ya TTL to ya CMOS , Z80, C+, 6502, 286, fortran, 68000, basic stuff but when it comes to an O/S ive only used DOS and MS crap.

I'm sick of XP and the crap that goes with it. Case of Install XP then disable a shit load of services before it farts, pffffffff :evil:

Anyone give the Pros and Cons of Linux v's Windows before I get a version of redhat or whatever it is :shock: to try
Temujin

Re: Linux v's Windows

Post by Temujin »

Anyone give the Pros and Cons of Linux v's Windows before I get a version of redhat or whatever it is :shock: to try
this might be sufficient Image  :D
As for Pros and cons

Pros
it stays up!!
theres alsorts of software available and its all free
firefox comes with it so theres no IE
you can bash MS all the time and you can take the mickey out of Halifax-Lad :D
[edit] I run Oracle database, MySql database, email server, http server, seti (of course) ALL AT THE SAME TIME, try doing that on windows
loads more reasons

Cons
it can be tricky to setup to start with, especially wireless stuff
although theres all this free software available, its sometimes damned hard to track down the right version for your setup
theres loads of different versions, RedHat, Fedora, Suse, Centos etc etc
loads more reasons probably

best thing is if you have an old pc sitting in a cupboard gethering dust, set it up on that to test it out, or re fdisk your drives and dual boot.
Either way you don't lose windows (unless you really want to of course).
My home linux box is still running on a 40Gb "test" drive and the 120Gb  still has winxp on it and hasn't booted once this year.
I'd recomend Fedora Core 4, its well supported and you can get software specifically for it but have a look around, try different versions.
[edit]
I run both linux and winxp and both tend to be stable for me. If my wife touches a pc it usually crashes after 30min :D
PCs like some people and dislike others
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Can Linux access NTFS volumes?

I've allready got a duel boot using separate drives for each O/S  1 HD for 32bit XP and 1 HD for 64bit XP , both O/S can access both drives.

But if I'm gona put the Fedora on another HD so I've got tripple boot I will need to be able to access the other drives to get at my stuff. :?
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:Can Linux access NTFS volumes?
Yep
my linux box has its winxp drive mounted ok
But if I'm gona put the Fedora on another HD so I've got tripple boot I will need to be able to access the other drives to get at my stuff. :?
linux will mount the other 2 fine but you may not be able to mount your linux drive from either windows
UBT - PiezPiedPy

works good for me, all my data files are on one drive thats a NTFS volume.

Cheers Temujin :wink:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:But if I'm gona put the Fedora on another HD
I can vouch for Fedora Core 4, thats what I have on both my home and work PCs.
Fedora Core 5 is available now, I don't know whats new in it though
I heard the other day that theres a linux release that comes with boinc already installed, can't remember which one though :?
I seem to remember having trouble getting my network card working on the work PC and having BIG trouble getting my wireless network card working on my home PC.
During installation/setup It would certainly help if you have alternative access to the internet so you can download any drivers you might need cos its a real pain having to reboot to windows, get the driver, reboot to linux etc
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Yeah there is a Linux release that comes with BOINC installed I read about it the other day, but I too can't remember where I saw it.

I may get another HD sometime to try Linux on, too lazy at the moment to do it :lol:
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I've got WinXP on one PC and Fedora Core 5 on the other. I use the Windows one for the things I can't do easily on the Linux one - making music and playing games.
UBT - PaulC

Post by UBT - PaulC »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Yeah there is a Linux release that comes with BOINC installed I read about it the other day, but I too can't remember where I saw it.

I may get another HD sometime to try Linux on, too lazy at the moment to do it :lol:
Emm, could be Debian. I use it on one of my Sun Workstations instead of Solaris.

http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-boinc/

Paul C
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

yep thats the one
Seti-Cruncher

Your choice

Post by Seti-Cruncher »

Basically, it boils down to one thing. Do you want your computer to work the way Bill Gates thinks it should or the way you think it should. ;)

I know which I prefer. :)
UBT - GysmoSan

Post by UBT - GysmoSan »

My vote would have gone for option 4 ;pp

Linux for work, XP for play.

I don't have Linux on any of my home PC's but manage quite a few servers at work.

Martin
UBT - PiezPiedPy

UBT - GysmoSan wrote:My vote would have gone for option 4 ;pp

Linux for work, XP for play.

Missed that one. I take it linux aint to good for games then.

I use my comp mostly for my work, using Solidworks CAD/CAE anyone used it or similar with Linux?

To be honest I need a small SUN system or a quad board, my single 3500+ processor is havin a really hard time. :shaking2:

Ninja Diff - Quick Render (A part for our latest project :wink: )
My company site not finished yet :( only done a few pages plus I need to get out with the camera and take sum pic's for the projects area.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Cool :thumbup:
My company site not finished yet :( only done a few pages plus I need to get out with the camera and take sum pic's for the projects area.
Why would someone want a solar panel in their car?  :?
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Temujin wrote:Why would someone want a solar panel in their car?  :?
For Big Yanky Motorhomes Looool :lol:

Check here  I do contract work for them, convert the electrics from US to UK spec etc 8)