We have smoke

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
jaysback

We have smoke

Post by jaysback »

Rebuilt the kids PC a couple of days ago using my asus commando, and a E6400.
Been uping the overclock on it over the past few days and it was happy ticking along at 3440. ( from 2130 ).
Thought it had been fine all day so upped it another 10mhz on the fsb and it the frooze in the bios screen, oh well maybe it needs a bit more V core I thought.
WRONG!
Pressed and held the power button in - nothing?
STRANGE?
Then WHOOOOOOO! smoke.
Ripped the plug out and took the side of the case off.
My initial thought was that the memory had given up as it was only some cheap 1gb stick of elixir with what would of been a 40mhz overclock and 0.2V extra.
But it looked fine?
Left it out and booted it - more smoke but found where it was coming from.
Lead from the M/B to the power switch had shorted to the case making a very good heater element no less.

I would just like to point out at this point that the case was a very second hand 6 year old+ Prometia unit, but it has been running fine for the last year.

Luckily all the components are all fine apart from the case wiring and the M/B has all the buttons on it.
Only pain is having to open the side up to start it, but it stays on all the time pretty much anyways.

So theres my bit of fun for the weekend....

Quad should be up and running tomorrow, awaiting a 2 quid hose fitting for the rad  :banghead:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Doncha just hate that when it happens?

Glad it's not just me! Though it's a few years since I've had that with a cheapo board from a computer fair.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Sir Cracked of the Mind
KWSN team member

Post by Sir Cracked of the Mind »

Sorry guys, I've never understood this desire to blow up expensive computer parts!
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

Well quad back up and running.
Only @ 2700 for the moment, tired and have to be up at 06.00  :(
Looks nice tho.
1/2" uv green tubing and a few uv tubes, sorted it out.
Timby

Post by Timby »

Hey jaysback, just found this on the net, not one of yours I hope  :lol:

jaysback

Post by jaysback »

That was my first attempt at a build lol.
Don't think you need the charcoal with the heat these quads put out now.