Newbie on the block

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
Daemon

Newbie on the block

Post by Daemon »

Hi all,
Just registered and joined your team to help search for the little green men. Anything I should know? What happens if my PC is the one to find something? Do I get fame and fortune?
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

Hello Daemon, welcome to the team and forum.

AFAIK if your PC is the one to discover that we are not alone in the universe, but merely just one small part of a vast and magnificent creation, teaming with enlightened civilistaions,...  :shock:

..you get to enjoy the feeling of immense satisfaction, and maybe a chocolate hobnob or two courtesy of the team founder. :D
Timby

Post by Timby »

Image Daemon and welcome to THE team.
I think you would be a very popular fella if you did discover little green men.

Any way just feel free to ask any questions, some one will reply.

Mark
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Imageto our team... may your stay be a long one. If you need any help just shout there will be always someone to give you a helping hand..   :)

bob   :D
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hello Daemon & welcome
Daemon

Post by Daemon »

Thanks guys,
Im just having a problem at the moment with Boinc manager downloading the files, I don't know why but its really slow to not happening. Its downloaded a couple of files but not all of them from what I can see. Should some ports be open?

Also I have a very powerful PC to run on this and another one im going to setup in the next day so im just going to leave running 24/7 to doing this. Is there any risk leaving the CPU running 24/7 with such a constant high load?

p.s. whats all these stats in your sigs?
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Daemon wrote:Thanks guys,
Im just having a problem at the moment with Boinc manager downloading the files, I don't know why but its really slow to not happening. Its downloaded a couple of files but not all of them from what I can see. Should some ports be open?

Also I have a very powerful PC to run on this and another one im going to setup in the next day so im just going to leave running 24/7 to doing this. Is there any risk leaving the CPU running 24/7 with such a constant high load?

p.s. whats all these stats in your sigs?
Hi and welcome!

I'll have a pop at the first bits!

A - If you're getting some files then your set-up is probably right. SETI are having a load of problems at the moment. Even the XML Stats were not uploaded to BOINCStats tonight. I'd suggest trying another project while they sort themselves out - but you could be in for a longish wait! Have a look in the 'readme' section for ideas on which other projects you might like to try.

B - Provided you have good ventilation you shouldn't have a problem running 24/7. Intensive operation can make the CPU run a little warm depending on the project but should still be well within tolerance. I haven't switched this PC off for more than a couple of minutes since February and the CPU hasn't gone above 52ºC

C - The p.s. bit - someone else should answer this as I've forgotten!

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Hello and Welcome! :D

As for the stats in the sigs, click on the UBT logo at the top of this page, this will open the UBT homepage in a separate tab/window. Scroll down the index on the left hand side of the page until you reach 'General Stuff' (just under 'Main Menu') Click on 'Get a UBT signature graphic (to use in our forum)'

This will take you to Darrens' section of the UBT website, all will be explained by him as he's the sigmeister!! 8)
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Welcome to the team, you can get a team signature here
http://signature.ukboincteam.com/
Daemon

Post by Daemon »

Thanks for your reply guys,

Ok Ive been to that page but im not sure what I should put for the "cross project-ID"?

As for the downloading its managed to download the files eventually and run the files and just says "ready to repot" do I have to do this manually or does it do it automatically?

Thanks again for the help.
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

CPID, you can find this on the "your account" page at SETI just above the "Stats on your cell phone" line.

You do not need to do anything with the ready to report it is all automatic.
(you can "update" on the front page of the Boinc manager if you do not want to wait) :lol:
sigma-7

Post by sigma-7 »

Greetz and welcome to the team :wave:
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Greetings and welcome  :!:
Daemon

Post by Daemon »

ok i seem to be up and running now with both my systems running it 24/7, got plenty of credit already and lots pending. How often does the pending ones get updated?

Also cos im running 2 computers I saw an option somewhere to merge the computer, should I be doing this?
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Daemon wrote:ok i seem to be up and running now with both my systems running it 24/7, got plenty of credit already and lots pending. How often does the pending ones get updated?

Also cos im running 2 computers I saw an option somewhere to merge the computer, should I be doing this?
Pendings don't get updated. You'll get your credits when the quorum is met. I.E. in SETI the quorum is 2. That means as soon as 2 results concur (approximately) you'll get the credit.

Merging is used when a computer has been changed in some way and the project sees it as another computer in your account. I think what happens is that it looks for the computer that has been modified, finds the nearest match and merges the 2 to the newest configuration. If it doesn't find a near match no merging occurs.

That sound right anyone?
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Sounds about right, in other words you only merge if Boinc is treating one computer as two (or more). If your account shows two PC's and you have two then no merge required.
Daemon

Post by Daemon »

Ok i gotcha.

Im having some trouble with the stability of the program though, like I left it running all night and this morning I woke up and the screen saver had locked up (not sure if the program was still running behind it) and I had to reset the machine to get into windows?
Also the screen saver options I set seem to keep changing. Its very weird, anyone else with these problems?
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

Screen saver is a known issue.
Turn it off is your best bet. Graphics are still viewable if you look at the task tab, highlight running ap. and as long as it has a graphic supported the "show graphics" button will be highlighted.

Oh. Welcome to the team btw :D
Daemon

Post by Daemon »

Thanks jay,

one last thing, how ofen is the website stats updated, cos ive got over 1,000 credits now and its not showing on the members page?

p.s. Love your avatar hehe
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

BOINC stats.
http://boincstats.com/stats/boinc_user_ ... 25bf7eb076
This is updated around 6pm ish every day.
If you look at the left hand side  above the shout box it tells you when page was last updated.
Some sites do put out (XML) stats more frequently but not worth the effort to check imho.
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

Might take a couple of days for you to show up if you are starting from a fresh.
You will also rocket up the stats for the first few months.
Daemon

Post by Daemon »

yeah welll im doing about 1,000 credits per day so shouldnt be at the bottom. Just wish the program was more stable and stop slowing me downing with not being able to download all the time.

Given up with it on my other pc cos i can't be arsed monitoring it 24/7.
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

You have credit   Image

your CPID is  c446ca31dd8bca1410d37abe4b3002c1  

There are lots of projects apart from SETI which don't seem to have problems as often and can just be left running.  Einstein@home is fairly solid the wu's are around 50 hours. WCG has a mixture of projects wu's not normally over 15 hours. Check out the projects section of the forum and if any take your fancy just ask, someone can let you know if there are usually any problems with a project.   (SETI does things with their database on a Tuesday evening so the stats do not update for a while but wu's usually still upload.)
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Daemon....you can alway try PrimeGrid  :lol:
very quick wu's

I had to tell you this as i am PG cheerleader...

b. :D
Daemon

Post by Daemon »

thanks guys, what are WU's?
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Work Units, the chunk of data the project sends your pc to calculate (crunch)....They vary in time taken to process from seconds to 1000s of hours (Climate Prediction are the longest I think). You get credit for each wu you crunch (amount varys by wu, project and pc)
Daemon

Post by Daemon »

ahh right, tbh im not that interested in the amount of points i get but would honestly like to donate my spare CPU time to something worthwhile, whats the most beneficial one Boinc supports thats stable?
Sir Cracked of the Mind
KWSN team member

Post by Sir Cracked of the Mind »

Hello and welcome to the crunching world. It grows on you I promise.
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Daemon wrote:ahh right, tbh im not that interested in the amount of points i get but would honestly like to donate my spare CPU time to something worthwhile, whats the most beneficial one Boinc supports thats stable?

Most beneficial has to depend on your point of view, there are various bio/medical ones, prediction of climate change and who knows what might happpen if Seti found something.

World Community Grid (WGC) runs a range of projects including "Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together (Launched August 21, 2007)Scientists from The University of Texas Medical Branch and the University of Chicago have joined with World Community Grid researchers to combat some of the most widespread viral diseases in the developed and developing world. The project's immediate goal is to uncover novel drugs to cure dengue hemorrhagic fever, hepatitis C, West Nile encephalitis, and Yellow fever"

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/proje ... esearch.do