broad band

Add links or just chat about things you've found elsewhere on the web...or just add a "plug" for a local event happening near you...!
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

broad band

Post by UBT - bobuk »

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: broad band

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - bobuk wrote:what ever next
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20070822/t ... 618_1.html

b. :D
Unfortunately, the masses don't understand WPA, WEP or encryption and as such, they don't enable it...which leads to the potential for others to grab your bandwidth...and in a worse case scenario, look at your hard drive, steal data, files, etc.

I'm amazed at the number of devices my PocketPC "sees" at airports, coz people leave the bluetooth function "on" on their mobiles.

As such, this sort of thing will go on, simplY coz people are too lazy....it'S akin to leaving youR door open, if you went out.....

Just a shame that the police are spending time doing this, when other stuff  is going on....maybe it's easier to catch anyone "in the act" and just makes their "success" rates look better.

regards

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
UBT - bobuk wrote:what ever next
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20070822/t ... 618_1.html

b. :D
Unfortunately, the masses don't understand WPA, WEP or encryption and as such, they don't enable it...which leads to the potential for others to grab your bandwidth...and in a worse case scenario, look at your hard drive, steal data, files, etc.
This problem is only going to grow and get worse! As you point out, Timbo, it is dead easy to secure your wireless connection.

But most people (and Local Councils) want their wireless internet connections for free and easy to connect to! Not for them the hassle of setting up security! Oh No! We'll have this open, 'free' system, and then start to wonder whose ripping our files off our laptops?

Whose not even bothering to buy a coffee before using the free network? Whose not coming in the LAN gamestore, but using the 'free' network that we've set up? :roll:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

melter65 wrote:This problem is only going to grow and get worse! As you point out, Timbo, it is dead easy to secure your wireless connection.
Which is then going to "saturate" the ADSL ISP's who will then get on their high horse and start charging people for bandwidth...

I believe this is where it's going....the days of so-called unlimited bandwidth access are going....coz when enough people start to want to stream TV, video and music down their ADSL pipes, that's when the ISP's will start to think..."we can charge for this"....(coz if I ran their business, that's what I'd do - it'll help to pay for some fibre as well...coz then you could charge even more !!
melter65 wrote:But most people (and Local Councils) want their wireless internet connections for free and easy to connect to! Not for them the hassle of setting up security! Oh No! We'll have this open, 'free' system, and then start to wonder whose ripping our files off our laptops?

Whose not even bothering to buy a coffee before using the free network? Whose not coming in the LAN gamestore, but using the 'free' network that we've set up? :roll:
I'm pretty sure that when ISP's go to a "per Gb" method of charging people for bandwidth use (like the old telco way of charging "per call") a lot of "free access" won't be free anymore...!

regards

Tim