fed up wae spam

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
SALGUOD

fed up wae spam

Post by SALGUOD »

use outlook express am being bombarded spam any recomendations am scunnered norton anti spam crap    

as much use as nothing atall :evil:
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

scrap outlook. I haven't used it for years. Recommend Pegasus Mail. Built in filter (self learning) gets rid of 99 % of spam
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: fed up wae spam

Post by UBT - Timbo »

douglas wrote:use outlook express am being bombarded spam any recomendations am scunnered norton anti spam crap
Or you can use Mailwasher, which is a great program to pre-check your email accounts.

http://www.mailwasher.net

Works on any email account and gives you the chance to preview incoming email, or to add senders to a blacklist or whitelist.

Leave it running in the background....

regards,

Tim
SALGUOD

thanx

Post by SALGUOD »

RodEllery wrote:scrap outlook. I haven't used it for years. Recommend Pegasus Mail. Built in filter (self learning) gets rid of 99 % of spam
i will give pegasus atry
SALGUOD

Post by SALGUOD »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
douglas wrote:use outlook express am being bombarded spam any recomendations am scunnered norton anti spam crap
Or you can use Mailwasher, which is a great program to pre-check your email accounts.

http://www.mailwasher.net

Works on any email account and gives you the chance to preview incoming email, or to add senders to a blacklist or whitelist.

Leave it running in the background....

regards,

Tim
would it work with norton internet sec in the background as well need it for a virus
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

I use outlook 2007 with rules - I usually get between 80-120 spam emails each day and have to look after a number of addresses.

With rules setup I can have outlook automatically scan for e.g specific words in an email and then delete the mail or move it to a SPAM folder.

With this system I have about 2-5 SPAM messages a day that get through.

Outlook 2007 is way ahead of express and earlier Outlook 2002/3
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

douglas wrote:would it work with norton internet sec in the background as well need it for a virus
Don't see any reason why not....when you start it up, you provide it with your email account details (server name, username and password) and then it scans each of your accounts (if you have more than one) and it displays a "grid" of the messages on the email server...so you can read them before you download them and decide if they are spam or not...

Those that ARE spam, you can add to a blacklist, which will then auto-delete any more coming from the same sender.

Likewise, you can set up rules as well and it will spot if there is a suspected virus, allowing you to delete it before you download it....

There's even an undelete, if you delete a good email accidentally...:oops:

It's really effective and costs very little to register, if you like it...I use the Pro version and it works...saves me downloading spam.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:I use outlook 2007 with rules - I usually get between 80-120 spam emails each day and have to look after a number of addresses.

With rules setup I can have outlook automatically scan for e.g specific words in an email and then delete the mail or move it to a SPAM folder.

With this system I have about 2-5 SPAM messages a day that get through.

Outlook 2007 is way ahead of express and earlier Outlook 2002/3
Rules are great, IF the emails contain text.

Spammers have got around that in the past by providing a link to a graphic (maybe gif or jpeg) which is encapsulated into the email and hence the text isn't present.

Newer anti-spam methods can now read these images, so the spammers are now using images in PDF format, which most anti-spam software cannot read...

Does OE 2007 identify spam images or spam PDFs?

regards,

Tim
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Spammers have got around that in the past by providing a link to a graphic (maybe gif or jpeg) which is encapsulated into the email and hence the text isn't present.

Newer anti-spam methods can now read these images, so the spammers are now using images in PDF format, which most anti-spam software cannot read...

Does OE 2007 identify spam images or spam PDFs?

regards,

Tim
It deletes all the jpg image type messages and some PDF's, some PDF's get through but they come up as empty messages in the inbox