Galaxyzoo.org

Add links or just chat about things you've found elsewhere on the web...or just add a "plug" for a local event happening near you...!
UBT - Janea

Galaxyzoo.org

Post by UBT - Janea »

Anyone else hear about this on the Today programme this morning?   I've signed up but not yet had a chance to look at it properly.  It's only just gone live today.

Basically they want people to look at pictures of galaxies and classify them into spiral or elliptical.  It's quite tricky but is something to fill a few minutes each day and you'll be looking at galaxies never before seen by human eyes.  It's quite mind boggling - but then I'll never get my head around the sheer size of the Universe and all the billions of galaxies anyway.

I've signed up with my BOINC user name so that you can identify me on the forum.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Galaxyzoo.org

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Janea wrote:Anyone else hear about this on the Today programme this morning?   I've signed up but not yet had a chance to look at it properly.  It's only just gone live today.

Basically they want people to look at pictures of galaxies and classify them into spiral or elliptical.  It's quite tricky but is something to fill a few minutes each day and you'll be looking at galaxies never before seen by human eyes.  It's quite mind boggling - but then I'll never get my head around the sheer size of the Universe and all the billions of galaxies anyway.

I've signed up with my BOINC user name so that you can identify me on the forum.
Hi Jane,

Yup - heard about this today as well.

Sounds quite interesting, although I'm wondering who will "vet" the user decisions, as to whether a galaxy is spiral or elliptical (or fixed or rotating)....after all, some people could answer incorrectly....and then what will the results be, if the user choices cannot be validated...?

On the other hand, getting people to use the 'net to provide the project with additional resources is a good idea and will hopefully bring people together a bit more and make them feel that they have contributed to the project.

regards

Tim
UBT_Joc

Post by UBT_Joc »

Morning,

The forum over there is now live and they are starting to get some stats working.  (need my stats fix  :shock: )

Joc