Hi all

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
tchapm

Hi all

Post by tchapm »

Hi to everyone.

I've been number crunching for a while with Rosetta and SETI on my own but thought I'd join a UK Team!

Thanks for havin me.
Timby

Post by Timby »

Image and Image tchapm to the best team in the UK.
Good to see you on the forum, loads of people around most nights and don't forget to check the Chat room.
Hope you enjoy the stay with the team.

Mark
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Greetings, and welcome.

If you have any problems feel free to ask as one of us will know the answer or point you in the direction of someone who will
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Welcome to the team :hello2:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Welcome aboard tchapm :wave:
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hello tchapm & welcome to UK BOINC Team
sigma-7

Post by sigma-7 »

Greetz and welcome to the team :wave:
tchapm

Post by tchapm »

Thanks all!

So what kind of systems are you running this on?

You seem to either be using some kind of mainframe or you've been doing this a while!

Are they home or work systems?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

tchapm wrote:Thanks all!

So what kind of systems are you running this on?

You seem to either be using some kind of mainframe or you've been doing this a while!

Welcome to the Team !!

Mostly, people have PCs at home, but some also have work machines available (and assuming the employer allows this !).

As for what type of PCs - they are mostly off the shelf generic PCs - I don't think any one has a "mainframe" available - as much as we'd love a Cray or BlueGene/L....

So, what you see is an accumulation of credit, built up over a number of years by a large number of members, who generally speaking, tend to stay with our Team....  8)

And now you've joined us as well....it only gets betterer and betterer...!

regards,

Tim
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

tchapm wrote:So what kind of systems are you running this on?
No mainframes for me :(
I've just been doing it for a loooong time with as many computers at home/work I can get me hands on :D
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Hello and Welcome! :D

Hope you didn't get your feet too wet during the recent flooding! :shock:
tchapm

Post by tchapm »

Well no not this time!

I escaped as I was working from home that day. The water did get (literally) to the front door of the Data Centre where I usually work, which could have been disasterous for our business. Luckily the geography of the land means that the building are about 5 feet higher up than the road. Although the road was under 4 foot of water (did you see the picture with the tractor outside Dixon ford? I literally work on the opposite side of the road and a couple of buildings down from there) it didn't breach the building.

It did mean my colleagues all had to stay indoors through the night!

Working from home - its the future!

Something I was going to ask everyone - have any of you actually discovered anything by using these programs? I mean, have SETI or anyone else contacted you to say "Hey! You found an alien!" (or words to that effect!)? (I'm sure I would have heard if we HAD found an alien... !)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

tchapm wrote:......
Something I was going to ask everyone - have any of you actually discovered anything by using these programs? I mean, have SETI or anyone else contacted you to say "Hey! You found an alien!" (or words to that effect!)? (I'm sure I would have heard if we HAD found an alien... !)
I got an email from Alpha Centauri about three years ago.......but it was spam and not meant for me in the first place  :wink:

Seriously, though...

SETI has yet to find an alien or any other "intelligent" signals coming from the heavens....

But given they are looking at a very specific part of radio frequencies, over a small area of the sky and that they have to "share" resources at Arecibo (where the telescope is), so it's not likely that a "Eureka" moment is ever going to happen soon.

However, they a new multi-beam receiver coming online soon (if not already) and so they'll have more data for us to all look at.

On the other hand, some of the other BOINC projects have started reaching conclusions....the CPDN projects have started announcing some results, the LHC project has designed and are now building at CERN, as a result of work done, and some of the medical projects (Rosetta, WCG) are seeing progress.

So, it's overall "good news" generally, but the (probably) biggest news has still yet to surface.

regards

Tim