Linux for the nervous

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Gary wrote:Hi Tim,

I have to do exactly the same, press esc then select one of the options press "e" to edit the command and change the last word from "splash" to "noapic" not saying you have to do the same, but you might need to change something.

Not much help I know   :(

Other non Linux Gary
Hi Gary

Thanks for that...I'll give it another go, once my existing cache on this PC has run down.

regards

Tim
Naon

Post by Naon »

Thanks Temujin i managed to get Boinc installed i followed advise that was given by wcg wiki
The Basic Installation

Substitute your Linux username (the name you use to login) wherever you see USERNAME in this article.

1.  Login to Linux with your username. Create a folder named bin in your Home folder. To do that, click Places on the menu bar at the top left of the screen, click Home Folder. Right click in the Home Folder window, click New Folder, name the new folder bin.
  2. Download the latest version of BOINC for Linux from the official BOINC website , save the download in the bin folder you created. The file is a self-extracting archive.
  3. Set the BOINc archive's executable attribute so you can un-archive it. To set the executable attribute in FC5:

1.  Right click on the archive.
        2.  Click Properties.
        3.  Click Permissions.
        4.  Check the Execute box to the right of Owner.
        5.  Click Close.

4.  Double click the BOINC archive, choose Run, it creates a folder named BOINC in the bin folder, extracts the files from the BOINC archive and places them in the BOINC folder.
  5. Open the BOINC folder, double click binstall.sh, this runs a small script which finishes the installation and provides some advice on how to start BOINC manually. You can use that method anytime to start BOINC manually. If you want to setup Linux to autostart BOINC when you login then proceed to the next section.
I am tring to get it to start on boot up and it is ment to go like this :-
Autostart BOINC at Login

Here we setup to autostart BOINC just after you login on FC5. Again, it's "autostart" but it's not a daemon setup. The difference is that with a daemon setup Linux will start BOINC when the system boots and before a user logs in. The method described below will start BOINC automatically only after USERNAME logs in. Remember, USERNAME means the username you logged in with when you installed BOINC in the section above, not literally USERNAME.

1.  Open a terminal (shell). To open a terminal in FC5 click Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal.
  2.  If you are logged in as USERNAME rather than root, then enter su followed by root's password to login temporarily as root.
  3.  Enter gedit /etc/profile to bring up the profile file in the gedit text editor. If you don't have gedit installed then substitute the name of your text editor for gedit. Ted is another popular editor so you might try ted /etc/profile if you don't have gedit installed.
  4.  Add the following lines to the end of the file:
         *  cd /home/USERNAME/bin/BOINC (substitute your username for USERNAME)
         *  ./run_manager &
  5.  Save the file, exit the editor, close the terminal.
But I will need to get my head round it. (What is a FC5 ?)
Widget - The "floating widget" found in cans of beer is a hollow sphere, 3 cm in diameter. The can is pressurised by adding liquid nitrogen, which vaporises and expands in volume after the can is sealed, forcing gas and beer into the widget's hollow interior through a tiny hole – the less beer the better for subsequent head quality
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Hi Tim and all budding Linux enthusiasts.

I'm afraid I'm out of commission for the foreseeable future and have been unable to sit here for more than the odd 5 minutes now and then.

I apologize to those who have looked for advice from me and received silence but I see some of you are finding there is a wealth of info out there and managing to solve some of your problems yourselves (all good stuff).

Obviously as and when I get back to my abnormal self then I'll be more than happy to help where I can.
In the meantime I'm sure Timby will help out where he can and John seems pretty well versed in Linux.

I feel a little guilty as from just suggesting Timby give it a try a while back it's snowballed into the latest craze and now I've left everyone to their own devises.

Still, look on the bright side, you'll have a nice break from my silly posts     :roll:

BTW, my systems will continue crunching ABC while I'm home so no worries there.

Be back asap to annoy you all.

The Frog.
UBT - PaulT

Post by UBT - PaulT »

Naon wrote: But I will need to get my head round it. (What is a FC5 ?)
FC5 = Fedora Core 5

The easiest way I have found to get boinc to run at startup is to open the boinc folder,  find the file named "run_manager", right click on the file and select Properties.  Go to the permissions tab and make sure that executable is enabled.  Once that is done rename the file to run_manager.sh

If using Ubuntu (or any version of Linux with gnome) select System>>Preferences>>Sessions. On the startup programs tab click new, type in a name for the program to be started (ie Boinc) then, for the command, just browse to the boinc folder and select the run_manager.sh,  then just click OK and make sure that the tick box beside the new program you have added is ticked.

If using KDE, things are a little easier.  Just open the home folder, from the menu bar of the home folder window select View, then show hidden items.  A folder called Autostart should now be visible.  Just copy & paste the run_manager.sh from the boinc folder to the Autostart folder.
Timby

Post by Timby »

Hope you feel better soon Gary (Froggi)  and I will do my best to keep things out of control where possible.

Now for my 2P worth.

I am not saying this is the correct way to install Boinc BUT I installed the Std package from the Synaptic Manager and have downloaded the latest Manager from Berkeley V5.10.8 and the client of my choice.
Basically I copied the manager to the std installation file and the same with the client, hey presto!! latest Boinc Manager and Client.
It does require some basic knowledge of Linux Commands but it will work?

Whilst on the subject of Linux and Boinc, Froggi and I did look at the i386 linux version and there are no big increases in performance over Windows, however the 64bit Linux is the one to go for, this produces X2 to X3 the std credits.
I also had problems installing Linux on my P4 3.2Ghz machine, I ended up loading V6.10 and performing an on line upgrade to 7.04? Any one who can't get 7.04 to install may wish to try that??
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Timby wrote:Whilst on the subject of Linux and Boinc, Froggi and I did look at the i386 linux version and there are no big increases in performance over Windows, however the 64bit Linux is the one to go for, this produces X2 to X3 the std credits.
I can second that :(
64bit is the way to go for ABC

Also, its worth pointing out that most of the "auto startup" methods mentioned will only start boinc when you actually login.

To get boinc to start automatically when the machine boots up is a whole different kettle of fish that can be different with each flavour of Linux.
If anyone wants a hand getting that working, just gimme a shout.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

I have to do exactly the same, press esc then select one of the options press "e" to edit the command and change the last word from "splash" to "noapic" not saying you have to do the same, but you might need to change something.

Other non Linux Gary
Hi Gary,

Sorry for delay in replying, but I have to wait for the cache of ABC's to run out, before I try again...!

Followed your instructions and I see this:
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /wubi/boot/linux
kernel /wubi/boot/linux find=/wubi/boot/linux ro noapic nolapic
initrd /wubi/boot/initrd
boot
So, there's isn't a "splash" command to edit out...! And the "noapic" command is already there.

regards,

Tim
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Timbo wrote:

Other non Linux Gary
Hi Gary,

Sorry for delay in replying, but I have to wait for the cache of ABC's to run out, before I try again...!

Followed your instructions and I see this:
initrd /wubi/boot/initrd
boot
So, there's isn't a "splash" command to edit out...! And the "noapic" command is already there.

regards,

Tim
I removed the splash instructions when I pasted the revised menu.lst so if you felt the urge you could always rename the original menu.lst and give that a go with Gary's (hey, I'm Gary :? ) fix.

Just thought I'd point that out so you know why it was missing.

Gary.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hey guru Gary how you doing?

This is the procedure for me to boot into Linux..

after pressing esc  a screen with 2 ubuntu options, highlight the 1st, press "e" for edit, then I get the lines in  Tim's post..
initrd /wubi/boot/initrd
boot
or very similar lines, I then highlight the 2nd or 3rd line (can't remember exactly which, haven't used Linux since graphics driver probs) press "e" for edit delete the word "splash" from the end and replace with "noapic" press enter then "b" for boot, hey presto bobuk is your uncle  :lol: Linux boots.

I wasn't saying Tim needed to do this but something similar ?

Do you think the problem could be fragmented or compressed drive/file even though its a new drive ?

Understudy to Gary Gary :lol:
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Gary wrote:Hey guru Gary how you doing?

This is the procedure for me to boot into Linux..

after pressing esc  a screen with 2 ubuntu options, highlight the 1st, press "e" for edit, then I get the lines in  Tim's post..
initrd /wubi/boot/initrd
boot
or very similar lines, I then highlight the 2nd or 3rd line (can't remember exactly which, haven't used Linux since graphics driver probs) press "e" for edit delete the word "splash" from the end and replace with "noapic" press enter then "b" for boot, hey presto bobuk is your uncle  :lol: Linux boots.

I wasn't saying Tim needed to do this but something similar ?

Do you think the problem could be fragmented or compressed drive/file even though its a new drive ?

Understudy to Gary Gary :lol:
Fragmentation was my first thought which is why I suggested as it was Wubi and easy to uninstall that Tim try that and a defrag.

Things have escalated here and I won't be in the forum or crunching for a while but if it's still a prob when I get back I'll do my very best to resolve it.

Unstudied Frog
Naon

Post by Naon »

Temujin wrote:
Timby wrote:Whilst on the subject of Linux and Boinc, Froggi and I did look at the i386 linux version and there are no big increases in performance over Windows, however the 64bit Linux is the one to go for, this produces X2 to X3 the std credits.
I can second that :(
64bit is the way to go for ABC

Also, its worth pointing out that most of the "auto startup" methods mentioned will only start boinc when you actually login.

To get boinc to start automatically when the machine boots up is a whole different kettle of fish that can be different with each flavour of Linux.
If anyone wants a hand getting that working, just gimme a shout.
I want Boinc to start up on logging into Linux and also i want to go for the 64bit if it produces that much credit, but i am also tring to build a pc and merge it with the linux O/S and have both Windows and Linux crunching. Someone said that i could 'dual boot' but i have not got my head round it.
Timby sent me a program last night to pull up info on the system that i am using to see if 64bit can be done.

Steep learning curve ...  :shock:
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Yeah tell me about it my sys is 64 bit but still won't run linux but have been given a idea to try Fedora instead "I hope this 1 works" :roll:

Terry
Naon

Post by Naon »

Is there a way to launch ubuntu from with in windows, as a separate window ?

And

Due to swich over to ubuntu tonight, is there a way to increase my avalibale space on the harddrive for linux to use for Boinc Projects.

Still pushing on ABC@Home and Chess960@home, need a clean swich over.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Naon wrote:Is there a way to launch ubuntu from with in windows, as a separate window ?

And

Due to swich over to ubuntu tonight, is there a way to increase my avalibale space on the harddrive for linux to use for Boinc Projects.

Still pushing on ABC@Home and Chess960@home, need a clean swich over.
In short no, Ubuntu is an operating in it's own right and so you either boot into Windows or Linux.

Saying that, although I've not kept up to date with progress, there are cross platform programs like Wine that allow you to run some Windows software while in Linux.

As for increasing your partitions for Linux, obviously the easiest way is when you install Ubuntu, but failing that a good Partition Manager like Partition Magic should enable you to do it without losing any data but I would do a bit of googling to check first.

I've no doubt you can do it via a terminal and the command line but not ever having needed to, it's not something I've investigated.

edit, another idea, if you are planning to run Ubuntu purely for Boinc you could remove some of the unessential software installed as standard via the package manager but I doubt the will make a major difference as most Linux software doesn't suffer from the same bloat problems as Windows.

Gary.