2GB Memory

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

2GB Memory

Post by melter65 »

I've been through the Crucial online test to see how much RAM my 'puter will handle and have been informed that 2GB will sit comfortably in there. So I ordered 2x1GB strips (£54 inc p+p) and am now waiting for a quiet time (no wife or kid around to distract me!) to give the insides a good hoovering and fit the new memory.

Question: Do many of the projects benefit from more memory?

I ask because I've had to suspend Predictor@home as it wouldn't send WU's because I've only 512MB of memory and the WU's are 527MB each! At least Predictor had the decency to inform me! :lol:

Next is a decent graphics card. Any suggestions for around £50? I'm not bothered about high end games, so long as they'll run at lower settings, I'm not bothered about one with a TV inlet, but would like as much on-board memory as possible :D
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

SAP will like your extra memory if you run dual core (1MB is a bit of a tight squeeze for two 450MB models...).

Some rosetta WUs will be pleased too (it's unpredictable though, just depends on how big the protein is).
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Cheers Mike! :D