Bandwidth throttling petition launched

Add links or just chat about things you've found elsewhere on the web...or just add a "plug" for a local event happening near you...!
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Bandwidth throttling petition launched

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Well, I knew it was going to happen and end in tears........

The facts are:
There are still some ISP's claiming to offer UNLIMITED ADSL service....when, as we all know, BT hasn't upgraded it's "last mile" cable network (beyond copper) in years. (Quite a few countries now run fibre optic cables, from the local "cabinet" at the end of the road to the home !!)

Net result: As more people sign up for ADSL, so the "network" is running out of bandwidth...

So, while the Beeb and others are claiming the future is all online and hyping things UP, the fact is that many ISP's haven't got the infrastructure to offer unlimited bandwidth, and so are now putting in place "caps" to prevent people using their "unlimited" service to the full. What's the point having access to say IPTV, if you run out of your "allowance".....this could even be deemed to be "censorship" if taken to the extreme. (Or is it a ruse to get people to pay higher subscription charges???)

Even Virgin Media (ex-Telewest) have done this and their network was planned to have plenty of over-capacity....but even they run copper from cabinet to house!!

Someone has now drawn up an petition on the PM's website to get some action on this:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/broadbandripoff/

Deadline is: 31 May 2008 so, plenty of time to sign up...

I doubt it will get very far, but there's some hope that, once in the public domain with a bit of media interest, that something might happen...

regards,

Tim
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Signed sealed and delivered.

Never mind the quality feel the width :roll:

Gary.
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

All done  8)
Timby

Post by Timby »

:twisted:   All done as well
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Me too.
sigma-7

Post by sigma-7 »

Me as well... I don't think it will help though as i signed up for over 100+ of these petitions but you never know :D
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Also done

Terry
smith639

Post by smith639 »

Similarly Signed.
Whilst I was on there I set up my own, feel free to view & sign if you so choose:
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/rec ... flict.html

Ron
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Signed also had friend who was there thankfully still around like yourself.

Terry
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Just signed your petition, Mr Smith.