Einstein - Someone changed my Team !!!!

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - The Prof....

Einstein - Someone changed my Team !!!!

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Not to sure if this is the right place to talk about this, if not would you please excuse me. Also if one of the moderators wants to move this please feel free to do so.

Just been checking team stats page and discovered that I did not have a listing for Einstein  :shock:
Went to Einstein project page, checked my details and discovered that I had been attached to a team called U.K. Boinc.  :evil:

I have not changed my team status for any of the projects which I crunch for, and have no idea who this "other team" are.
Account details altered back to what they should be, ie:- the BEST uk team :- UK BOINC TEAM

Anyone else know of this happening before, who this "other" lot may be, and how to stop it happening again. Is this a case of identity theft, do you suppose. Cheap way to get a good team total by hijacking another teams members.  :x

I am wondering whether I ought to report this on the Einstein site forum pages.

Any comments on this would be welcome.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Einstein - Someone changed my Team !!!!

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - The Prof.... wrote:Not to sure if this is the right place to talk about this, if not would you please excuse me. Also if one of the moderators wants to move this please feel free to do so.

Just been checking team stats page and discovered that I did not have a listing for Einstein  :shock:
Went to Einstein project page, checked my details and discovered that I had been attached to a team called U.K. Boinc.  :evil:

I have not changed my team status for any of the projects which I crunch for, and have no idea who this "other team" are.
Account details altered back to what they should be, ie:- the BEST uk team :- UK BOINC TEAM

Anyone else know of this happening before, who this "other" lot may be, and how to stop it happening again. Is this a case of identity theft, do you suppose. Cheap way to get a good team total by hijacking another teams members.  :x

I am wondering whether I ought to report this on the Einstein site forum pages.

Any comments on this would be welcome.
Hi Bob,

Two things:

1) Do you use BAM or any other account manager?
It is possible that such a manager might have inadvertently altered the team you are joined to...it shouldn't happen, but with so much "data" being chucked around, it *could* happen.

2) Please report this to Einstein admin's asap.
They may be able to find the change in the logs and then find out whether it happened as a result of a mistake or something more sinister.

Either way, please change your password on this and every other project (if they are all the same) "just in case".

regards,

Tim
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Thanks Tim, have posted the following on the Einstein site :-

Went to my team stats page and could not find my Einstein results. On checking back here found that my team had been changed form UK BOINC Team to U.K. Boinc. I did not make this change, and have no intention of changing teams now or in the future. I have reset to the correct team and changed my password so as to, hopefuly, stop this being done again. I would like to know how this was done, and what measures can be taken to stop what is effectivly identity theft from occuring again.

I will see what response this gets. Hope this is not going to be an on-going issue. Now going round changing all my project passwords to make sure this doesn't happen anywhere else.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

I've just done some updating on the stats and as far as I can see it hasn't happened to anyone else. A member called 'Gary' seems to have an ongoing identity crisis I don't think it's related.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Temujin

Post by Temujin »

it was a while ago but it does seem to have happened before see here
Gary

Post by Gary »

UBT - Mikee wrote:A member called 'Gary' seems to have an ongoing identity crisis I don't think it's related.

Mike
Know what you mean :wink: , different species every post, in one he even thought he was a Toad :shock:  :D  :lol:  :lol:
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Gary wrote:
UBT - Mikee wrote:A member called 'Gary' seems to have an ongoing identity crisis I don't think it's related.

Mike
Know what you mean :wink: , different species every post, in one he even thought he was a Toad :shock:  :D  :lol:  :lol:

Maybe he is a spy? a master of disguise, always inFrognito :dontknow:

Secret Squirrel.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Temujin wrote:it was a while ago but it does seem to have happened before see here
That's a weird thing I noticed at the time. Note, though, that the movements are internal (oo-er!) from UKBT to UKBT not BUK or UK Boinc - so it's a different 'fault'!

Image Image

Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Mikee wrote:
Temujin wrote:it was a while ago but it does seem to have happened before see here
That's a weird thing I noticed at the time. Note, though, that the movements are internal (oo-er!) from UKBT to UKBT not BUK or UK Boinc - so it's a different 'fault'!
look again, thats member movement for UK BOINC
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

I can remember when I first joined the team (a dark day for everyone) back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, I posted somewhere in here that on signing up for one of the projects (can't remember that far back) that I'd become a member of that team even though I'd clicked to join UBT.

Gary.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Mikee wrote:
Told you I'm not at my best first thing! I know I did join the wrong team at the outset at about that time - thought it was earlier though. Tim (I think) made me see the light!

Image Image