UBT Birthday - email contents (if you didn't receive it !)

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

UBT Birthday - email contents (if you didn't receive it !)

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Dear UK BOINC Team member

Firstly, let me welcome you to the Team, if you've joined recently. Our distributed computing "Team", crunching work units for many BOINC projects, has been climbing up the various ranking charts over the last few months, and I'm very pleased to advise you that our Team now comprises over 1,000 members !!!!

We've made fantastic progress since the last Team email was sent in January 2007 and I'm very pleased to say that we're:

in 2nd place in UK
- we've consolidated our position in the UK, and we're now catching up with the 1st place UK Team !! in 32nd place in the world
- we're up 4 places since Jan 2007 and we'll probably be in the World Top 30 by the end of Summer !!

So, here's a "it's nearly Summer" newsletter for your enjoyment!

Coming up:

It's our Birthday!
Chat room party
Logo Competitions

1) Forthcoming Team 3rd Birthday on 23rd June

The UK BOINC Team (aka "UBT") will soon be celebrating it's 3rd Birthday on 23rd June 2007.

To celebrate, we're inviting EVERY UBT member to join in and to crunch for at least ONE day (24 hours) over the period of Friday 22nd - Sunday 24th June.

So to "organise" this, I thought that we would name this as the "UBT Birthday Crunch" (our "Crunches" are now world-famous as some other teams have even "copied" the concept) which is that: once a month, some of the Team members vote to crunch exclusively for one specific project....in fact, we've just finished a Crunch in aid of the World Community Grid and our World ranking and daily credits totals increased substantially....so a belated THANK YOU to all who participated!

(see here: http://www.boincstats.com/stats/team_gr ... cg&id=6429 and see the "credits per day" graph !! )

The aim of any "Crunch" is to firstly benefit the projects, so that more WUs are returned within a short space of time. But it also helps the Team, as our UK and World ranking on the chosen project improves and this normally raises our profile and more people join us...

So, for our Birthday Crunch, we'd like you to crunch for any project you like!!!

And our aim is to have our HIGHEST EVER daily credits total. Our current "RAC" (Recent Average Credit) is around 190,000 credits per day.

(see here: http://www.boincstats.com/stats/boinc_u ... 25bf7eb076 )

but this has been achieved by approx 490 members....and yet we have over 1,000 members actually joined to the Team....so, there's maybe 50% of the Team who aren't active anymore....so, we'd love it if YOU would come back to crunching for BOINC....this is YOUR chance to crunch again....and to help us maybe break the 250,000 credits in a day mark! Or maybe half a million over 2 days - now that really would be worth celebrating about !!

2) Chat room Birthday Party and VIP Chat.

On our forum (here: http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/uk-boinc-team-forum.html)
any registered forum members can "chat" in real time to any other forum member. This is useful if members have a technical problem and need an "instant" response to a query. Other times, they just might feel like having a chat...!

Our Chat room is open 24/7 - but for the Birthday weekend, I'd like to hold specific "sessions", when members can be guaranteed that there'll be someone "in there" to speak to anyone who "pops in"...

And for our Birthday Weekend, invitations are being sent to various senior BOINC "developers" as well as all the various "Project Administrators", inviting them to visit our chat room and to "speak" to our members in real time about BOINC and about their project.

A timetable of the "sessions" and "Special Guests" will be posted on our forum here:

http://forum.ukboincteam.com/viewtopic. ... 8907#18907

3) Two Competitions!

We'd also like to encourage any of the creative genius' out there to design a new logo for the Team.

There's two we'd like:
a) A logo for our forthcoming 3rd Birthday
b) A UK BOINC Team logo (to be used to hopefully "lure" more members to join us).

The graphic needs to be colourful and informative and should include the UBT website name. ( www.ukboincteam.org.uk )

So, if there any graphics guru's are out there, who can put together a decent logo, we'd greatly appreciate it.

And as a "token" incentive, all entries will be voted on and the winning
design(s) will win a competition prize - I'm sure I can find a sponsor who'll donate a prize or two that people might find "useful".

Then YOUR design will made available (in it's final form) to all members, who can post them anywhere (that's legal and won't cause problems with other peoples forum).....in order to publicise the Team.

Image parameters.
Format: GIF or JPEG - other popular formats can be accepted (such PNG, PSD). GIF files can be animated if you want !!
Size/Shape: Aspect ratio can be up to 5x width (max) to 1x height (i.e. 1000w x 200h) and ideally in a rectangular "strip" shape, (rather than square or circular) and the design needs to be suitable so that it can be "scaled" so that at say 400x80, it will still be "readable".
Licence: By providing this artwork you agree that it can be used exclusively by the Team. As such, we will ask all contributors of logo's to sign a form, which allows the Team to use the logo free of charge and without royalty.
Entries: Any number of entries can be made.
Voting: All entries will be made available in our Team forum (excepting those that fall outside the normal accepted standard of decency and honesty, etc) so that each may be voted for. The votes cast will determine the winner of each category. Only forum members can vote and I will act as sole arbiter in the event of any dispute.

Closing Dates:
Birthday logo: 17th June 2007
Team logo: 23rd June 2007

Images can be emailed back to me, or you can post them in the forum here:

http://forum.ukboincteam.com/viewforum.php?f=16

All comments/suggestions/feedback welcome !

Keep on crunching !

regards and thanks for helping to make the UK BOINC Team so highly placed in the UK and World ranking charts.

Tim
Founder, UK BOINC Team

- Join the UK BOINC Team crunching for: SETI, CPDN, BBC CCE, WCG, Einstein, LHC, Predictor, BURP, Sztaki, Rosetta, XtremLab and many, many more: http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/uk-boinc-team.html

- Check our YOUR ranking position via our website

- Get a Team "Real Time" Stats Signature logo (that can be displayed on your own website or on a forum

- Please ensure that you join our Team on EVERY project you're attached to....you know it makes sense...!

- Visit our Team forum: http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/uk-boinc-team-forum.html and keep up to date with the latest developments via our RSS feed.

PS This is a one-time mailing - we don't share your email address, nor do we bombard you with "stuff" which is of no use to you. If you want to opt-out of receiving any further emails from the UK BOINC Team, please feel free to get in touch.

The final bit:

Joining a Team of like-minded people, and crunching for BOINC is a great way of contributing something back to man-kind. Numerous types of projects are now online, with science, bio-medical, climate and number crunching projects all benefiting from peoples' donations of PC resources. And with PC's being so powerful these days, these contributions can usually be made with little or no impact on the normal everyday use of your PC.

Our Team has been formed to help promote every BOINC project and to hopefully allow them to achieve the results they need, whether it's finding a cure for AIDS (WCG), understanding the effect of changing weather patterns (CPDN), designing a new science tool (LHC) or just trying to find ET (SETI@home).
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Been working hard on coming up with a new team logo but my creative juices seem to have dried up and PhotoShop is not like riding a bike, after a few years not using it I'm having great fun trying to find my way around again :oops:

I'll keep at it and hope others are coming up with better ideas than I'm producing at the moment.

Wonder if drugs or alcohol would help the creative process   :shock:

Dried Up old Frog
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Rockinfroggi wrote:......
I'll keep at it and hope others are coming up with better ideas than I'm producing at the moment.
No one has submitted anything yet !!
Rockinfroggi wrote:......
Wonder if drugs or alcohol would help the creative process   :shock:

Dried Up old Frog
I'm pretty sure that many famous "artists" have resorted to various stimulants in the past....and it didn't "hurt" their abilites and may well have enhanced them....

Maybe just maybe, you've got one masterpiece still left inside you...hic....hic

regards

hic

Tim

hic...hic