Problem in Vista making me nervous

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
DJH@GB-Ro

Problem in Vista making me nervous

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

My hard disk seems to be active 100% of the time. Nothing to do with BOINC. It does not run as a service, or start automatically, and I've started up and it's never opened. In the HD activity monitor I have many hundreds of 'svchost' which seems to point to almost everything.

Take a look at this:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u271 ... o/help.gif

You can see all the BOINC files it seems to be reading, well they're just a few of the many hundreds, maybe over a thousand files svchost.exe seems to be reading (it's sorted be read B/min) like messenger, firefox, outlook, even though nothing is running!

What's going on?  :cry:
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Woohoo, they all disappeared, gone from around a thousand to around 20 things using HD activity in the last minute. Bet they'll come back.

Spoke too soon, many hundreds appearing... p****d off
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Not had the problem myself but a google for svchost.exe returns a bagfull of stuff, mostly saying it is very often hijacked by malware or virus

Have you got any AV software installed?
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Temujin wrote:Not had the problem myself but a google for svchost.exe returns a bagfull of stuff, mostly saying it is very often hijacked by malware or virus

Have you got any AV software installed?
Yep, Norton Internet Security Full Suite 2007 Vista version, has spyware and everything, and Vista has Defender etc.

I read it could be some indexing? :?

I'm barely using the computer recently due to revision for exams, but noticed the non-stop HD light and noise today
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

I think it could be this:
SuperFetch

Windows SuperFetch enables programs and files to load much faster than they would on Windows XP–based PCs.

When you're not actively using your computer, background tasks—including automatic backup programs and antivirus scans—run when they will least disturb you. These background tasks can take up system memory space that your programs had been using. On Windows XP–based PCs, this can slow progress to a crawl when you attempt to resume work.

SuperFetch monitors which applications you use the most and preloads these into your system memory so they'll be ready when you need them. Windows Vista also runs background programs, like disk defragmenting and Windows Defender, at low priority so that they can do their job but your work always comes first.
Would explain why my most used programs are up there.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... fetch.mspx

EDIT: Opened services, found superfetch and stopped it, blissful lack of activity.

Problem found and solved :D
Last edited by DJH@GB-Ro on Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Post by Gary »

all before I finished writing my post too, good show !
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

DJH@GB-Ro wrote:Problem found and solved :D
Nice one Doug :thumbup: