AAARRRGGGHHH

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

AAARRRGGGHHH

Post by UBT - Terry »

Just bought this http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/spec ... l?MBB-2562
And it won't post cry cry gotta send it back AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: AAARRRGGGHHH

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Terry wrote:Just bought this http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/spec ... l?MBB-2562
And it won't post cry cry gotta send it back AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH
Couldn't have been "assembled and tested" properly....are you sure the memory is seated correctly...?

regards,

Tim
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Yeah went through everything even reseated cpu it's dead cry cry
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Terry wrote:Yeah went through everything even reseated cpu it's dead cry cry
Try taking out the memory and leave the CPU in place....if memory (sic) serves, the initial POST might not need the memory to be in place.

Also, makes sure all the power connections are firm - it might just be the PSU can't receive the "power good" signal from the mobo.

Has the CPU got it's own power cable (usually a 4 pin (2x2) molex connector).

regards,

Tim
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

and also check the PSU is man enough for it, I've had that happen myself
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Are you getting any signs of life? mobo lights CPU or case fan running post error beeps or verbal post?

Re: Your messages to me as to the PSU, as John says it could be this, 400W PSU should run what you showed me but if as I said it's a generic PSU (as you said it came with the case) then I would look at replacing it for a branded one.

Have you removed the mobo and tried to power it without anything, no memory, no CPU?

Edit, BTW, never ever try to cut corners by reseating the CPU without refitting the heatsink and fan, even for a 5 second test (I do know people who have done this)

Gary.
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Re PSU Nova Tech say its man enough but ive got resavations on that as its only 400w but i'm not running a moniter from it just the board.
I'm getting a green light on the board and it fires up all fans etc but thats it
I'm not gonna mess about too much as i'm pretty much a novice at this so sending it back they said sounds like a faulty board...

Thanks for the tips

Terry
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Terry wrote:Re PSU Nova Tech say its man enough but ive got resavations on that as its only 400w but i'm not running a moniter from it just the board.
I'm getting a green light on the board and it fires up all fans etc but thats it
I'm not gonna mess about too much as i'm pretty much a novice at this so sending it back they said sounds like a faulty board...

Thanks for the tips

Terry
Probably the best bet if you are not confident but just a quickie, the lights might give some indication, i.e. is it one light on static, flashing more than one light? either the mobo manual or website should be able to tell you if this indicates a fault, if not, let me know what the lights are doing and I will check it out when I get back from the hospital.

Gary.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Hi Terry

I don't want to bang on about the PSU but...

Just done a google for your motherboard and the first review I found tested the board with a 700w PSU :shock: (see here)

Do you know anyone locally that you could borrow a higher capacity PSU from just to test it before returning it?
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Temujin wrote:Hi Terry

I don't want to bang on about the PSU but...

Just done a google for your motherboard and the first review I found tested the board with a 700w PSU :shock: (see here)

Do you know anyone locally that you could borrow a higher capacity PSU from just to test it before returning it?

Hi John, when Terry asked me the question in PM I did advise that he would need a better PSU if he was adding a high end graphics card or any other power hungry add ons but he plans to use it for crunching only in which case a good efficient 400W PSU should cope but obviously leaves no room for later upgrades.

Gary.
Darren

Post by Darren »

Lots of motherboards beep to tell you what's wrong.
My old P3 450 used to refuse to start up unless there was a monitor plugged into the graphics card.
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Ive tried a lot of different things from your sugestions and help from someone local and still nothing no beeps nothing but fans on and green light on otherwise zilch so back to novatech for my new baby.
Borrowing my bro's lap top at mo so still got 1x 1.86 Ghz and 1x 1.7 Ghz cores running so i can wait a few more days :cry: