Dual Boot

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Halifax-lad

Dual Boot

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Is it possible to have a dual boot, XP from one hardrive, Linux from another :?:  If so how :?:
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Never tried it with separate drives, I've always dual booted from the same drive and Linux loads it's own boot manager, either lilo or grub.

Gary.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Just took an old computer apart today, the harddrive still works found all my old info I thought I had lost, so was wanting to try and play with Linux but by using it on this other drive
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Yep, thats no problem
during the linux install you'll be asked where you want to install linux, just point it at the 2nd HD.
It will normally then ask you which OS you want as boot default
It will then write to the MBR of the 1st HD and you'll get a boot-time menu
should work fine
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

I have used bootit for several years and found it a good program. It allows me to have drives running several partitions and boot to any of them.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

Have the free trial on your old system :wink:
UBT - PaulC

Post by UBT - PaulC »

When your in linux you can either use lilo or grub as a boot loader. If this is setup correctly you can dual or tripple boot in to various OS's

It;s what I use on my wee PC that has windows / fedora core / debian

Paul