waiting for memory?

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
ghosttrain

waiting for memory?

Post by ghosttrain »

Help.  I'm new to boinc so bear with me. I was running rosetta and climate jobbie on this computer, the climate job was going nowhere so I ditched it.  Now rosetta shows waiting for memory.  In the projects window it shows 100% resource share.   AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: waiting for memory?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

ghosttrain wrote:Help.  I'm new to boinc so bear with me. I was running rosetta and climate jobbie on this computer, the climate job was going nowhere so I ditched it.  Now rosetta shows waiting for memory.  In the projects window it shows 100% resource share.   AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!
Mostly, BOINC will do this - giving sufficient memory to the project application.

The CPDN WUs take FOREVER....so assume each WU will take say 6-9 MONTHS.....but they do give good credit, so they are worth the long term effort.

Rosetta (and most other project WUs) take far less time..... 8)

In the end, it depends on how much memory your PC has....best to have at least 512Mb and ideally 1-2 Gb to ensure BOINC and the various project applications have enough, leaving you with spare for your normal PC "stuff".

Edit: In fact, seems you only have 256Mb !!  :oops:

see here: http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/show_ ... tid=493993

Suggest you consider getting some more !!

The resource share is just the percentage given to each project. If you ran two projects, then each nominally would be running at 50%, three projects and they would each be at 33%, etc.

The 100% does not mean they are using 100% of your CPU resources.

regards,

Tim
ghosttrain

Post by ghosttrain »

I have moved to a laptop for most work but this is not suitable for crunching as I don't like leaving it on 24/7.  

This computer is 5 years old and basicly only used for said crunching.  Will have to work out the pros and cons on which way to go.  Thanks anyway.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

ghosttrain wrote:I have moved to a laptop for most work but this is not suitable for crunching as I don't like leaving it on 24/7.  

This computer is 5 years old and basicly only used for said crunching.  Will have to work out the pros and cons on which way to go.  Thanks anyway.
Best be careful with laptops as they have a tendency to overheat as the processor is running flat out all the time.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:Best be careful with laptops as they have a tendency to overheat as the processor is running flat out all the time.
.....Also laptops tends to have low efficiency heatsinks on the CPU and rely on fans to expel the heat....and old laptops may have "dusty" fans that aren't at their peak, in terms of expelling the heat that builds up within a confined space....

And you don't have to run 24/7....esp. in these days of energy conservation and "saving the planet's resources....!"

regards,

Tim
smith639

Memory

Post by smith639 »

If you can let me know the type of memory you need I may have some gathering dust, which you can have for free, gratis, pro bono etc.

Ron Smith

P.S. Don't say anything to the other Yorkshiremen, I would be drummed out in shame
ghosttrain

Post by ghosttrain »

Thanks for that.  I'm going to give it a good clean this weekend (promise) and check (as you can probably tell, I can use a computer to carry out tasks but ask me how it works....total meltdown  :shock:   ).  With regard to running the computer 24/7, it's a trade off really isn't it.  If you don't run it you don't do any work, if you do the work you use up energy.  Damned if you do damned if you don't.

If this works I'll make a donation to the charity of your choice
smith639

Post by smith639 »

That is noble of you. It would be SAMA 82 (South Atlantic Medal Association 1982), as I am a Falklands veteran, and this is the 25th anniversary.

If and when you get the memory and it works OK, I will send you the details.

Ron Smith
ghosttrain

Post by ghosttrain »

Looking at your avatar, you're a fine judge of beer
smith639

Post by smith639 »

I'm a Keighley lad born and bred (though lad is stretching things a bit) but now living in Manchester
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

In the meantime if you wish to do some folding then consider WCG. I crunch that on a computer with 256Mb memory, or for more credits per hour ABC@home will also work with your memory.
ghosttrain

Post by ghosttrain »

Rosetta is trickling away for the moment (fingers crossed)
ghosttrain

Post by ghosttrain »

OK my old Falklands veteran

I have two of figure C, that is 168-pin, 5.25-inch DIMM chips
I have no expansion slots..  This means that each stick is 128m.  Hope you can help

As it's the 25th anniversary of the Falklands and my nephew was also there, send me details and I will make a donation anyway.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

ghosttrain wrote:OK my old Falklands veteran

I have two of figure C, that is 168-pin, 5.25-inch DIMM chips
I have no expansion slots..  This means that each stick is 128m.  Hope you can help

As it's the 25th anniversary of the Falklands and my nephew was also there, send me details and I will make a donation anyway.
Sorry for butting in on this but if you are unsure of the max your motherboard will take it might be an idea to pop over to http://www.crucial.com/uk/ and run their Activex program which will tell you exactly what types of memory and how much your board will except.

Gary.
smith639

Post by smith639 »

Ok I will see what I can do.
Your nephew might want to visit the SAMA 82 website at
http://www.sama82.org/
Which can also be used to donate via Paypal

Ron
ghosttrain

Post by ghosttrain »

Thanks for that froggi I got to here

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listpar ... Media+5206

Sending donation via paypal today. If you can't help let me know.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

ghosttrain wrote:Thanks for that froggi I got to here

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listpar ... Media+5206

Sending donation via paypal today. If you can't help let me know.

Glad it was of help, just thought it made sense for Ron to be able to see if he had the right memory to send to give your system a good boost.

Gary.