Hi

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
smith639

Hi

Post by smith639 »

Hi to all. I'm Ron Smith, and new to SETI, BOINC etc. Have been interested for some time, but membership became viable with always on fast broadband.
As my PC is idle 99% of the time, and is on for about 19 hours a day, the project ought to get a fair sized wodge of processor time.
As per my profile I am male, 52 and live in Manchester, and most things interest me (cramming as much living as poss into a sad dwindling lifespan!). I was forced from work due to cancer not long ago, and have far too much time on my hands.
As a veteran of the Falkands conflict I am girding my loins for the coming 25th anniversary celebrations in June, and should sufficient synapses survive, I hope to continue my participation in the group and forum.
All the best
Timby

Post by Timby »

Hi Ron Image and Image to the best team in the UK.
Fell free to ask away if you need any advice or guidance with your Boincing, its a great friendly bunch on here and lets hope you enjoy your time with us.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Hi Ron and welcome to UBT :wave:

How about installing optimised seti apps on your PC and getting the most out of it?

Army or Navy?
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Welcome may your stay be long
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Welcome to the team  :lol:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Hi

Post by UBT - Timbo »

smith639 wrote:Hi to all. I'm Ron Smith, and new to SETI, BOINC etc. Have been interested for some time, but membership became viable with always on fast broadband......
You forgot to mention your avatar.....Timothy Taylors "Landlord".....a fine pint if ever there was......

Hmmm....just a shame my local doesn't do it.....so I'll have to go and search for some.....but not tonight....other things to do, like a VAT return  :cry: and need to be sober for that !

regards,

tim
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Hi, welcome to the team.
Be your stay be long and your crunching happy  :!:
Last edited by UBT - The Prof.... on Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Image to our team... may your stay be a long one. If you need any help just shout there will be always someone to give you a helping hand  :)

bob  :D
smith639

Post by smith639 »

Thanks for the glowing welcome!, to answer / reply to posts in order:

John, I have accepted the default settings, running SETI & Einstein after a 3 minute delay, 100/100. I may add more as I find my feet, but am open to guidance suggestions.
Army - 18 years from the age of 15

Tim, as good an avatar as you will get. As for Timmy Taylor's, I was born & bred in Keighley, so it goes down like mother's milk (followed swiftly by me)

Thanks again for welcoming me on board, if anyone is ever in my neighbourhood feel free to drop in for a coffee (with vanilla syrup and a 5" 'crown' of spray cream!)

Ron
smith639

Post by smith639 »

Tim,

Have read the Forum Membership & Usernames announcement, but I downloaded BOINC and then registered using my email address, ergo I have no username that I am aware of, can you assist please?

Ron
(New, and already a pain in the mule)
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

smith639 wrote:but I downloaded BOINC and then registered using my email address, ergo I have no username that I am aware of, can you assist please?
Hi mate
Cunningly, you're plain old Ron Smith in the seti and einstein projects :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Temujin wrote:Hi mate
Oh no he's not (at least on SETI !! - Einstein says: "Einstein@Home is temporarily shut down while we recover from a database server crash.
Please try again later." )

You really must be faster than that..... 8)

Deduct one HobNob from Temujin  :oops:

regards,

Tim
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Image Ron, good to have you on the team, as for you being a pain in the mule as you put it, that's my job in this forum and I'm not sharing with anyone  :wink:

Don't think having problems or asking questions makes you a pain, because that's what this forum is for and anyone with the answer will be more than happy to help.

Gary.
smith639

Post by smith639 »

Cheers. I'm going thru the various projects adding them using the BOINC Tools / Attach to project menu. I tried the 'one stop link' on the UK BOINC website, but it was extremely sluggish / non responsive (bit like me at 0700)
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

Welcome Ron.  

And in response to your invite for a coffee, if you're ever down here in the Smoke, I know a nice little pub that sells all of Tim. Taylors beers so join me in a pint.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
Temujin wrote:Hi mate
Oh no he's not (at least on SETI !! - Einstein says: "Einstein@Home is temporarily shut down while we recover from a database server crash.
Please try again later." )
Oh yes he was
it says so on my stats page, SO IT MUST BE TRUE :D
although Ron Smith has now mysteriously become smith639, must be that army training.
Deduct one HobNob from Temujin  :oops:
Oi, I demand my HobNob be reinstated  :evil:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

smith639 wrote:Cheers. I'm going thru the various projects adding them using the BOINC Tools / Attach to project menu. I tried the 'one stop link' on the UK BOINC website, but it was extremely sluggish / non responsive (bit like me at 0700)
This is mainly becasue the "background" scripts have to contact each project website (and assuming it's "up") that you want to join and then send the relevant data to the project and wait for them to confirm....sometimes, the projects are "down" as Einstein was last night, so there is a timeout, to allow for a response back, otherwise it fails....!

Usually it works OK, but it has dependencies!!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Temujin wrote:Oh yes he was
it says so on my stats page, SO IT MUST BE TRUE :D
although Ron Smith has now mysteriously become smith639, must be that army training.
That would be because Ron changed it last night (after I advised him "how to" via a PM).... 8)
Temujin wrote:Oi, I demand my HobNob be reinstated  :evil:
Well, I s'pose I was a little bit harsh  :wink: .... I'll put it to a vote:
"should Temujin have his Hobnob back????"

All in favour say "AYE"....

regards,

Tim
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

John,
UBT - Timbo wrote:should Temujin have his Hobnob back????"
You can have my vote for a percentage of the Hobnob.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

RodEllery wrote:John,
UBT - Timbo wrote:should Temujin have his Hobnob back????"
You can have my vote for a percentage of the Hobnob.
Well as we're talking about virtual HobNobs, you're welcome to virtual 10% of my missing virtual HobNob :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Hi

Post by UBT - Timbo »

smith639 wrote:.....As a veteran of the Falkands conflict I am girding my loins for the coming 25th anniversary celebrations in June, and should sufficient synapses survive, I hope to continue my participation in the group and forum......
So how coincidental about this:

"Man buys Sea Harrier on eBay for £10k"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/27 ... t_harrier/

Any chance we could form a UBT squadron?....there's a Spitfire that regularly flies over my house (just north of Cambridge) during the summer....I'll see if I can borrow that !!

regards,

Tim
smith639

Post by smith639 »

Let Temujin have his Hobnob, and if we do form a squadron, can we use unleaded petrol or LPG to do our eco-bit?
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

smith639 wrote:Let Temujin have his Hobnob
:thumbup:
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
Well, I s'pose I was a little bit harsh  :wink: .... I'll put it to a vote:
"should Temujin have his Hobnob back????"

All in favour say "AYE"....

regards,

Tim
You forgot to give us the number of premium rate phone vote line (cover the cost of the Hobnobs either way then) :lol:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:You forgot to give us the number of premium rate phone vote line (cover the cost of the Hobnobs either way then) :lol:
Ah, well, there hangs a tale.
UBT has suspended its phone-in voting amidst reports that members were duped into paying to submit entries for online voting that had already closed.

Thousands every week for the last four years paid £1.80 each to enter a "once in a blue moon" vote, offering prizes of up to 20,000 Hobnobs, run by the erstwhile distributed computing team. According to an independant investigation by the Rockinfroggi, many had no chance of winning because a shortlist of 2 people with the correct entries was picked 45 days before lines officially closed at 2am.

The alleged ruse brought in up to £3.60 a day from members of the forum, or a total of £13 4s 6d over the forty years the voting operated. The voting was managed for the team by telecoms services firm Frankly Not My Fault & Co. Frankly sales director Frank Franks allegedly sent an AirMail letter to lemurs employed by the firm telling them "make sure they [UBT] never find out you are picking the winners early!" in 2003. It is expected that the local zoo will launch an investigation into the allegations.

UBT said it "knew nothing" of apparent irregularities by Frankly. It denies any impropriety.

"UBT knew nothing of this and is shocked to hear of these allegations," according to a statement from UBT . "Just over a month ago UBT instructed the city accountancy firm Scratch, Sniff and Payup to carry out a full, independent review of UBT and Frankly current interactive systems and processes.

"The review has now been completed and we are confident, on the basis of Scratch, Sniff and Payup's findings and our own research, that our voting procedures are being operated fully in accordance with the Dead Sea Scrolls - and that no members are being selected before lines have closed.

"We are investigating further but do anticipate bringing back our voting as soon as possible," it added.

In a statement, Frankly Not My Fault & Co said it had removed staff implicated in the alleged scandal pending an investigation. It said it has revamped its voting handling policy since the start of March and "all vote entries throughout the entire period are now considered equally and fairly, whether handled directly by Frankly Not My Fault & Co or by its telecommunications partners, using a randomised computer programme, running on a highly reliable ZX81."

"Frankly has in no way benefited financially from any errors in procedure in the past and will continue to keep its processes in line with any future  guidelines," it added.

UBT admitted that it had become the target of angry calls from its 5 members as a result of the alleged fraud. Details of the allegation were due to be screened in an episode of EastEnders, dubbed "TV's Dirty Den Comes back again", due to air soon.

Previous targets of complaints over TV phone-ins have included Punch and Judy, the Search for Max Factor and even childrens' program Debbie Does Dallas.
I rest my case....!

regards,

Tim