New to UK BOINC

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
imatts

New to UK BOINC

Post by imatts »

Good day all,

I'm Ian Matthews task crunching for SETI@home.  I have only recently joined the SETI project (5 Apr) and have been quietly doing my own thing until yesterday when I joined UK BOINC.  I'm a pom living in New Zealand so I think my joining the UK group shouldn't cause too many raised eyebrows!  

I tend to leave my machine on all of the time, so the tasks crunch non-stop.  I'm not sure how performance is measured, but I have been surprised that it's taken 2 weeks to break the 10k barrier - I thought it would be quicker looking at the other users into the 100s of millions!  Perhaps my throughput is slow or I just need to stick at this for a lot more years.

Hope to be able to partcipate in other aspects of team activities.

Cheers,

Ian
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi and welcome to the team - good to have you.

10K in 2 weeks is very good going actually - works out around 1400 a day so I assume you have a VERY fast computer or more than one!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Image  to our team... may your stay be a long one. If you need any help just shout there will always be someone to give you a helping hand. :hello2:

bob.  :D
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Welcome, enjoy your stay
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Welcome to the team :lol:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Welcome aboard Ian :wave:

edit
I tell you what Ian, if you were to run the chicken optimised seti app on that core 2 6600, you'd get a much more satisfying 2000+ credits a day from it :D
Last edited by Temujin on Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Image to the team Ian, keep on crunching and your credits will soon mount up. Good to have you on the team.

Gary.
Timby

Post by Timby »

Image Ian, great to have you on board as another team member. As has been said before just ask if you want any help as there are plenty of people willing to offer assistance!
imatts

Saying hello to the Team

Post by imatts »

Good day all,

Thank-you for the very friendly welcome.  After two weeks I'm already close to admitting 'I'm Ian Matthews and I have a SETI problem'!.  I have been bitten by the SETI@home bug - apart from having a whizz of a screensaver, I find myself subconsciously checking for milestone credits - first 500 then 1000, now 10k and so on - am I the only one?  It's quite irrational and something of a worry - I haven't been like this since I swapped marbles as a boy 40 years ago!  Joking aside, the bottom line for me is that my spare PC capacity and vacant staring at credits is doing some good.

Ian
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Check out the thread for optimised clients (new chicken soup), if you don't already have it you may be able to boost your credit per hour by running it (on intel).
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

welcome to the group. May your stay be long and your credits MASSIVE