BOINC Linux installer won't work

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - DalekClock

BOINC Linux installer won't work

Post by UBT - DalekClock »

Ok, so I'm running Ubuntu 6.10 and want to install BOINC. I've tried downloading the installation file, except I can't use it as it isn't written in Western ISO or UTF-8. And I can't just get BOINC manager from Add/Remove as that doesn't get me the core client. What do I do?
Timby

Post by Timby »

Hi UBT - DalekClock, I also run Ubuntu 6.10 64bit !! I assume you are looking for the 64bit app?
Have a quick read of this thread as it contains the Boinc Client you are looking for  

http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/forum_thre ... 4629#65722

Any probs just ask away

Mark
UBT - DalekClock

If I was looking for the 64-bit version, I would have said so.
Timby

Post by Timby »

UBT - DalekClock wrote:If I was looking for the 64-bit version, I would have said so.
Same principal would apply to both systems, download the latest 32 bit app from Boinc and put it in the directory as the thread suggests !!
I believe its under /usr/bin, don't forget to rename the original client though.
UBT - DalekClock

Original client?
Timby

Post by Timby »

http://boinc-wiki.ath.cx/index.php?titl ... e_on_Linux

This may help, I don't run the x86 version but you should be able make progress with this?
UBT - PaulT

Post by UBT - PaulT »

Open a terminal window

cd ~/Desktop (or wherever you downloaded boinc to)
sudo chmod 755 filename.sh
./filename.sh
-or-
sudo ./filename.sh