Overclocking

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
Gary

Overclocking

Post by Gary »

What is the easiest way to do this ?

I`ve looked at many sites & forums but end up more perplexed than when I started !! :roll:
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

Don't think there is an easy way.
My opteron is only overclocked to a third of its potential, the "better" the motherboard the more options you have to overclock, and the more of an art form it is to get right.
For advice visit www.overclockers.co.uk and read the forums, they have links to other forums with advice.
Some of the pages are so funny.  I can understand wanting to have a £150 processor working at the speed of a £250 one.  Some of the big kids there and at extreme systems just go over the top to brag having the fastest overclock. Liquid cooling ok - refrigerator coolant cooling OTT but dry ice!  :roll:
Gary

Post by Gary »

Thought I`d looked at www.overclockers.co.uk, been looking at www.overclock.net (us I think)

Easy tune 5 came with the mobo which has an overclocking facility, 3% + the pc hangs or resets :(

It also has an intelligent tweaker built into the bios but it all seems be voltage settings.

Perhaps I`ll leave it alone and save for a better cpu  :D
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

After a few weeks of 'shall I shan't I' I decided to give overclocking a go. Especially as the CPU I want isn't within range yet!

Did a 'Run CPU benchmark' via the manager first to see if anything happened. Got 1692 and 3099 respectively.

Wanted to do something really basic and leave it at that. Got into BIOS and changed the FSB from 200 to 210 (200 is the base will go up to 232 but I thought that would be pushing it!) 200 to 210 is a 5% increase which is enough for me - if it worked that's it - not going any further!

It mostly worked. Ran the benchmarks and got 1799 and 3266 - an increase of 5.14% and 5.38%. Doesn't sound much but a 20 hour WU should now take 19 hours.

Just go to keep an eye on the CPU temperature - currently 39C - which, I think, is just about perfect!

The only problem I've found is that the computer doesn't soft restart - just sits there giving an occasional 'beep' - a hard restart isn't a problem - I can live with that!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Timby

Re: Overclocking

Post by Timby »

Gary wrote:What is the easiest way to do this ?

I`ve looked at many sites & forums but end up more perplexed than when I started !! :roll:
I found a gem of an application called "Clockgen" very simple and eay to use, it has rev counter style dials with all the relavant info you need to see. You also have the option to apply the overclocking at startup. I can't find the link to the download site but if you want it PM me?
Gary

Post by Gary »

Yep, already had clockgen plus a multitude of other programs.

Theres only one way to get a stable overclock & thats through the bios settings you might have to press ctrl & f1 to get access to other settings (ram timings, multiplier etc), I got mine from 2.4 to 2.6 but found a few projects didn't like o/c !

Heres some good guides for AMD chips http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=67749
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

As has already been said, the better the motherboard the more options you'll have in the bios, I got my 3.0 prescott up to 3.4 and it still runs 10 degrees under the stated temp, may even see how it goes pushed to 3.6.

Gary.
Timby

Post by Timby »

What I missed off my other post was that I don't overclock Image I did try one machine a P4 3.2Ghz and got it up to 3.6Ghz but it was not stable. That was using the OEM software supplied with a MSI motherboard.
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

i agree with what has been said before.... :)

but apart from a good motherboard/systemboard you also need a good processor the best overclocking one  if you can get hold of it is :

AMD 1700xp t/bred hard to find but well worth it if you wanna o/c
i have two (2) matched up on Epox ep8rda+ mb's...
1700 running at  2600 and both air cooled ...
400 watt psu's
cooler master fans on one and thermaltake sonic tower fanless system on the other as a trial to see how it works , been on a month now with no problems and nice and quite  :)

tip: if you start to o/c write down all you do step by step so if you come to a problem you can drop back to the last good settings...don't rush and try do it all in one day o/c your pc over a week or so let your processor settle into the new settings and and don't forget to take your side pannels off for max air flow...

any other help ......on a post card to ....................

b. :D
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Sound advice Bob, but I would only suggest removing the side panel if you have restricted airflow through your box as with good fans and good airflow it's far better to have the cool air drawn in and the hot forced out.

Saying that in the height of summer it can help to remove it and train a desktop fan on your system.

But as Bob says, one step at a time and every system differs so it is a case of trial and error.

Gary.
Timby

Post by Timby »

I read with envey all you overclockers cranking up the CPU, I don't object to the practice just never got around to seriously giving it a try.
I would reccomend a great case that has good airflow and thats a Jeantech Phong 11. Just rebuilt my main home PC into one of these and was very pleased with the quality, just need the new CPU to finish it off. Looks like a trip to Novatec SOOOOOON. LOL
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

I've read some good reviews on that case Timby and it's a great price to.

Gary.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Well if you're talking cases, its difficult to beat an Antec P180.
Has a separate compartment for the PSU and hard disks and has 3 mighty and whisper quiet 120mm fans.
Wifeys new core2 is sat in it right now, overclocked a tad and running at 41C
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Last question of the day as I feel I'm exceeding my quota of posts.
Is it usual for over clocked cpu's to only register in boinc at their base speed as my 3.0 HT system is over clocked to 3.4 and registers as such with soft sandra, Aida 32 and in the bios yet boinc benchmarks it at 3.0?

Gary.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Rockinfroggi wrote:Last question of the day as I feel I'm exceeding my quota of posts.
Is it usual for over clocked cpu's to only register in boinc at their base speed as my 3.0 HT system is over clocked to 3.4 and registers as such with soft sandra, Aida 32 and in the bios yet boinc benchmarks it at 3.0?
Yes, its normal.
But, if you run Seti and use chickens V2 optimised app, it reports the actual speed in the stdout
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Temujin wrote:
Rockinfroggi wrote:Last question of the day as I feel I'm exceeding my quota of posts.
Yes, its normal.
But, if you run Seti and use chickens V2 optimised app, it reports the actual speed in the stdout
Thanks John, that answers that then, I'm not too bothered about what it shows as long as I'm crunching at my full potential.  :)

Gary.
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

If i could suggest a cpu to you it would be a intel core 2 duo.
My E6400 std clock is 2.13 per core, currently its ticking along very happy @ 3.6 on water but what is more amazing is that it was also running on the standard cooler @ 3.4

Does make for an expensive upgrade as you will probably need what would basically be a whole new p.c.  :(

See my sigi for whats in mine.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Nice set-up Jay, my only problem at the moment is money, or should I say the lack of it, as I've been unable to work for the past 2 years and at the moment looks like it may be another year before I'm fit enough to work again.
My fourth system I threw together with odds and ends I had lying around from upgrades I had done for family and friends, though I did splash out on a Seasonic 600w PSU.
Once I have some money in the bank again It's my aim to build my dream system from scratch, but I'm sure by then there will be the usual advances in  top dog components.

Thanks for the tip anyway, and nice looking set-up you have there.

Gary.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Been running my 3.0 HT at 3.4 for a while now with no ill effects so have just upped it to 3.75 (big jump for me) and so far the temp is still well below the max stated.

So if I go poof in the next few days you'll know I pushed too far.

Gary. :violent2:
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Rockinfroggi wrote:Been running my 3.0 HT at 3.4 for a while now with no ill effects so have just upped it to 3.75 (big jump for me) Gary.:violent2:
jump/frog  :)

but nice o/c there..

b. :D
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

Thats the way to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdbsnEYr0wA
Extreme overclocking.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

jaysback wrote:Thats the way to do it.
Extreme overclocking.

Image you think that's for real? I've seen a freezer unit attached to a heavily modded system but that's ONE STEP BEYOND. Think I'll stick to the palm leaf I wave over my cpu. Image

Gary.
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Oh my god thats extreme!!!!!
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

AH!
You mean like the vapochill or the prometia.
I had a promi mach 1 with an athlon xp 2500 under it.
Used to run it at 2650mhz @ -35 under load as far as i recall, but its been a while.
Also tried peltier cooling before that.
I managed to loose a XP19000 to condensation due to the neoprene spliting while i was away for the weekend :(
I think i ran that at nearly 2000mhz @ -5 (full load) but that was a real long time ago.

I would like to save up for a converted vapochill, these can do around -50 or lower.
Put that with a xeon 5150 and i would like to be around 3.7 or maybee a little more per core.

DREAM MODE OFF.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

I think your dreams run way higher than mine Jay, my next build keeps changing on paper as new gear comes out, but I doubt I'll go for anything more than water cooled when the funds are available.

Gary.
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

Its the old case of " If I just wait a little longer I can get ..........."
Been there a few times. lol.
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

jaysback wrote:Thats the way to do it.
Extreme overclocking.

-200C ooooh thats cold - I wonder if I can inject Nitrogen into a High boost engine.

Any one know of a Nitrogen outlet  8)  :twisted:
phucco

Post by phucco »

If you had a dewar to store it in (unfortunately they are quite expensive) then you could just come see me and I'll tank you up  8)

Here's out the back of the lab:

The one of the right is "Ultra High Purity" LN2 used for semiconductor stuff.
The two smaller ones are just bog-standard LN2 that I use for general freezing of things  :P
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Geeez  :shock:   lookin at that yard makes me think twice, looks like a nuclear death star bomb factory  :lol:
Time for some research on this one, I'm gona need at least an injector and a pump that won't freeze, hmmmm wonder if a NOS (Nitrous Oxide) fogger and pump will do the job coz that stuff can get silly cold. :toothy3:
Why and How the hell is Nitrogen so cold?
Should of stayed in school and studied chemistry instead of running off to the ATC-RAF to play with planes  8)
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Just fitted the same CPU cooler Timby bought last week and my CPU temp on my over-clocked HT has gone from around 62C down to 46.5C and mobo temp is down from 38C to 33C.

And boy is it quiet, no more Image keeping me awake at night.

Gary.
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Out of curiosity :oops: what model is it?
Gary

Post by Gary »

Rockinfroggi wrote:Just fitted the same CPU cooler Timby bought last week and my CPU temp on my over-clocked HT has gone from around 62C down to 46.5C and mobo temp is down from 38C to 33C.

And boy is it quiet, no more Image keeping me awake at night.

Gary.
lol, I had similar problems, solved mine with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro.

What did you get ?
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

DJH@GB-Ro wrote:Out of curiosity :oops: what model is it?
It's the Arctic Freezer 4, for us poor peeps still using socket 478 :oops:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/spec ... ?AC-FREEZ4

Gary.
cris keys

Post by cris keys »

Def go for Core 2 processors for overclocking. My E6300 runs at 3.335 GHz (stock is 1.86 GHz) and under 45C with my Zalman CPNS9700 .

I converted from AMD XP3400+ to my new set up (still with 2Gb of RAM) for just a tad over £400.

13th place in single host average for Climate prediction  :D

http://boincstats.com/stats/user_stats. ... ate=&or=16
Timby

Post by Timby »

cris wrote:Def go for Core 2 processors for overclocking. My E6300 runs at 3.335 GHz (stock is 1.86 GHz) and under 45C with my Zalman CPNS9700 .

I converted from AMD XP3400+ to my new set up (still with 2Gb of RAM) for just a tad over £400.

13th place in single host average for Climate prediction  :D

http://boincstats.com/stats/user_stats. ... ate=&or=16
Image  Image
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Stop it i'm getting jealous :(
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Ignore them, works for me  :lol:
Gary

Post by Gary »

Temujin wrote:Well if you're talking cases, its difficult to beat an Antec P180.
Has a separate compartment for the PSU and hard disks and has 3 mighty and whisper quiet 120mm fans.
Temujin,

This is one of the cases I'm thinking of ordering today, bit concerned whether my Hyper type r PSU will fit in as a few reviews say theres not much room ?
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Gary wrote:This is one of the cases I'm thinking of ordering today, bit concerned whether my Hyper type r PSU will fit in as a few reviews say theres not much room ?
DJHGB-Ro mentioned similar concerns also.
It took my Akasa wotsitdoodah PSU no trouble and is meant to take any "standard sized" PSU.
In the lower compartment that houses the PSU and HDs, theres a PSU cage but I removed that and fixed my PSU directly to the backplane of the case.
Without the cage there loads of room but I could imagine some people might be concerned about space if they keep the cage.
I didn't even think about keeping the cage, it was like "well I don't need that", so out it went.

If your anywhere near north Northamptonshire, you're more than welcome to come over and check it out if you want.

edit
In fact, just had a look and theres loads of room in there, even a little slot under the PSU to push unused cables.
Theres an inch all around the PSU and near enough 3 inches before the fan.
Only thing that I found a bit tricky was routing the cables through to the HDs simply because the cables were so long
Gary

Post by Gary »

Temujin wrote:
Gary wrote:This is one of the cases I'm thinking of ordering today, bit concerned whether my Hyper type r PSU will fit in as a few reviews say theres not much room ?
DJHGB-Ro mentioned similar concerns also.
It took my Akasa wotsitdoodah PSU no trouble and is meant to take any "standard sized" PSU.
In the lower compartment that houses the PSU and HDs, theres a PSU cage but I removed that and fixed my PSU directly to the backplane of the case.
Without the cage there loads of room but I could imagine some people might be concerned about space if they keep the cage.
I didn't even think about keeping the cage, it was like "well I don't need that", so out it went.

If your anywhere near north Northamptonshire, you're more than welcome to come over and check it out if you want.

edit
In fact, just had a look and theres loads of room in there, even a little slot under the PSU to push unused cables.
Theres an inch all around the PSU and near enough 3 inches before the fan.
Only thing that I found a bit tricky was routing the cables through to the HDs simply because the cables were so long
My psu is 160mm or 6 1/4 " long, the cables have metal clasps ( can add or remove cables) adding another 40 ish mm, worried about that fan being in the way.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

I'm back at work now but will measure things for you when I get home tonight
Gary

Post by Gary »

Temujin wrote:I'm back at work now but will measure things for you when I get home tonight
Thanks Temujin, I just ordered the case with some other bits !

Apparently if the fans in the way it can be taken out but if needs be I'll get another psu.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Gary wrote:Apparently if the fans in the way it can be taken out but if needs be I'll get another psu.
Aha, thats right, it can even go at the other end so you have PSU - HDs - Fan
I might even try that meself

Good choice BTW
[edit]snip[/edit]
my only gripe with it is that its a hunking great big thing
but dead quiet
Gary

Post by Gary »

Temujin wrote:
Good choice BTW
[edit]snip[/edit]
my only gripe with it is that its a hunking great big thing
but dead quiet
Ta, I was thinking of getting one after reading a case comparison test, seeing your praises of it earlier in this thread was the clincher !

The case I have isn't exactly small, its such poor quality it sounds like an old corrugated tin shed on a windy day  :D
TheBritScott

Post by TheBritScott »

cris keys wrote:Def go for Core 2 processors for overclocking. My E6300 runs at 3.335 GHz (stock is 1.86 GHz) and under 45C with my Zalman CPNS9700 .
Can you tell me what voltages you are running on your motherboard (also what mobo) and what voltages you are running your ram at?

Thanks.

I think my memory is my down fall on mine, but it could be my voltages wrong.

I have ASUS P5B-E same CPU and HS/F

TBS
Gary

Post by Gary »

Gary wrote:
Temujin wrote:Well if you're talking cases, its difficult to beat an Antec P180.
Temujin,

This is one of the cases I'm thinking of ordering today, bit concerned whether my Hyper type r PSU will fit in as a few reviews say theres not much room ?
I did get a new psu an Antec truepower trio 650 watt, masses of cables  :shock:  after some mails sent to Antec support it turns out the psu was duff !  

Got a full refund now using an Antec Neo HE 550 its modular so its not so messy with the cables, anyone who has a P180 case and needs a new psu I recommend this one
Semmy

Post by Semmy »

Well just got my first water cooling system settled in and running, only problem is it now runs sooo cool I think I need to overclock it :)

(For reference, its on my AMD64X2 5200, aircooled @ 47degrees, watercooled @ 30degrees on full load)

Pending a AMD64X2 6000 I might have to have a play.