New Graphics card slows down

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

New Graphics card slows down

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Just got a new(ish) graphics card. All installed and drivers updated but something didn't seem right with BOINC. Ran benchmarks and they had dropped from 1800/3300 to 1800/1800 which I though was weird - didn't think a graphics card would cause that.

Anyway, after going through various bits and pieces I disabled the secondary graphics adaptor and after a restart the benchmarks are back up to what they were.

Just as well I don't use 2 monitors!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Sounds about right, I assume some of the CPU power would have to be used in conjunction with the graphics card in order to support two monitors
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

I have a dual monitor set up  :?
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Sounds about right, I assume some of the CPU power would have to be used in conjunction with the graphics card in order to support two monitors
I wouldn't have thought it would have made that large of a difference though. If anything I'd have expected the benchmark to get better as it's a newer card with more memory so would have taken less processing power from the main board rather than more.

Might be interesting to see if anyone else has a dual output card and one monitor and seeing if their benchmark (and output) changes as much if their secondary output is disabled. (Windoze XP home = Start >settings >control panel>admin tools>computer management>device manager>display adaptor>right click 'secondary'>properties - 'disable device'. Make sure that the monitor used is your primary device otherwise it could get a bit dark!) Anything you do is at your own risk - make sure you backup etc....etc...
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

I turned off my secondary monitor and my benchmarks dropped hugely!

Before:
Measured floating point speed 1257.82 million ops/sec
Measured integer speed 1518.87 million ops/sec

After
Measured floating point speed 1216 million ops/sec
Measured integer speed 1033 million ops/sec

I'm turning the secondary monitor right back on!
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Both monitors on again, up to:

Measured floating point speed 1249 million ops/sec
Measured integer speed 1562 million ops/sec
Gary

Post by Gary »

If you're talking about the Measured floating point speed & integer speed, mine dropped too when I put in a new hard drive & optical drives last week, but soon returned to near what it was.
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

The only time I get probs with extra cpu usage when running two monitors is when I play games that have a heavy gfx load such as Doom3 of BF2142

Boinc projects don't seem to be affected  :wink: