CPDN Future

Section supporting all the various Climate Change projects: CPDN, CPDN Beta, Quake Catcher.
UBT - Halifax-lad

CPDN Future

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Found this on CPDN forums, all sounds good just hope most of them go ahead
Here is an update on developments are far as the modelling done via CPDN; in order of which they will happen over the next two years. Some are in the "proposal" stage so may not come to anything if the reviewers & funding bodies don't fund it, I'll put a (P) for those:

1) optimized (CPU & file I/O) HadCM3L model to come out of beta testing soon (1-2 months)

2) 80-year workunits to redo some of the more interesting results of the BBC experiment with different forcings (a 1920-2000 and 2000-2080). These workunits would use (1) and probably happen in 1-3 months.

3) I think we'll be doing another experiment or two with the HadAM3 model (9-times higher resolution model from the Seasonal Attribution Experiment)

4) regional model (UK MetOffice PRECIS Programme HadRM3 model, see http://www.precis.org.uk) embedded with the HadCM3L global model (which generates the boundary conditions for the region). We'll probably do regions of southern Africa and US Pacific Northwest and work with scientists from those area ((P) -- Microsoft is hopefully going to fund this, I'm going to Seattle with Richard Jones of the MetOffice for meetings next week).

I find this project very exciting (and I hope Microsoft does :-) as it will allow scientists from countries that don't have a lot of computer resources to take advantage of setting up experiments with CPDN, having the huge CPU power thanks to the participants, and then being able to use data they would otherwise never have been able to get.

5) high-resolution global modelling, with the latest generation MetOffice model (HadGAM1). this is at 4 times the resolution (i.e. "half" the hadcm3 resolution, but not quite as high as HadAM3)

The experiment is led by William Ingram of the MetOffice (and Oxford too now) to do an in-depth study of cloud feedbacks within the model (i.e. the positive & negative feedbacks of clouds on the climate etc). The modelling code is quite a bit different, and we are keeping things in 64-bit for the first time, so it could take a gigabyte of RAM to run, as well as a 64-bit PC!

6) HadCM3 but use a higher resolution ocean with hopefully no flux corrections (P)

7) amongst the modelling, a big part of the project work will be getting the results online for scientists (Milo is doing a lot in this area as Tolu & I tend to get bogged down on the BOINC client/modelling side).

So you can see (as ever) there are a lot of apps on CPDN!
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

Carl is in Seattle at this very moment talking to Microsoft about the regional climate model, so we've got our fingers crossed.  MS seem to be getting involved in campaigning about climate change, so hopefully they'll smile on CPDN.