Rubik Cube

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
Temujin

Rubik Cube

Post by Temujin »

Due to its current popularity due to The Pursuit of Happyness, our office has gone Rubik's Cube mad.
I've dug out my 27 year old cube that clunks and creaks like mad and look enviously at Phils ultra smooth brand new cube.
27 years ago I used to be able to complete the damned thing in about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes but can now only get the 1st 2 layers and the top face "up", then have to resort to a cheat sheet.

Lunchtimes used to be filled with quake/unreal/CMR etc but its all rubiks now.

Anyone else een caught by the damned thing?
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

1 min 30, that beats me :D

I can do it everytime within 2mins 30s, good times within 2mins, best down to 1:40. I could only speed up using a different method. But I don't know how :D

I know someone who can do it in about 40 seconds, he was some geek who entered contests :geek:

I haven't touched it for ages, but I do love it 8)
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

DJH@GB-Ro wrote:1 min 30, that beats me :D
that was many many moons ago, its +5 min these days and thats with using a guide  :?
Gary

Re: Rubik Cube

Post by Gary »

Temujin wrote: Anyone else been caught by the damned thing?
Just dug mine out & I will not be beaten, I will complete it  :lol:
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Temujin wrote:
DJH@GB-Ro wrote:1 min 30, that beats me :D
that was many many moons ago, its +5 min these days and thats with using a guide  :?
Your 'many moons ago' technique obviously beats mine, I could possibly do it in 1:30 if I soaked the cube in WD40 to make the turns quicker :D
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

DJH@GB-Ro wrote:I could possibly do it in 1:30 if I soaked the cube in WD40 to make the turns quicker :D
Do a search on YouTube for Tyson Mao.
He can do the thing blindfolded and some of the finger flicks he uses are amazing.
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Temujin wrote:Do a search on YouTube for Tyson Mao.
He can do the thing blindfolded and some of the finger flicks he uses are amazing.
THat's ridiculous!  :lol:

This is pretty amazing too: http://youtube.com/watch?v=E7F4w0ykrzE
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

DJH@GB-Ro wrote:I could possibly do it in 1:30 if I soaked the cube in WD40 to make the turns quicker :D
WD40 is the wrong stuff to use, it eats the plastic apparently.
Vaseline is the way to go :thumbup: and even raises plenty of giggling in the office when you tell em you've lubed it up with vaseline :D
I'm getting back into it now and can manage 1:39 when everything falls into place.
Moved away from my 27 year old method, there's much faster ones around these days.
Just have to remember all the combinations now  :shock:
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

:D

I'm working on improving too www.speedcubing.com
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

DJH@GB-Ro wrote:I'm working on improving too www.speedcubing.com
The 3 yr old is impressive  :shock:
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

Never been able to complete the bloody thing, when I take it apart to cheat I have to get someone else to put it back together again  :evil: