Weird things happening

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Janea

Weird things happening

Post by UBT - Janea »

Right - something very strange has occured today and I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them.

Last night I decided to close down my PC because it has been on for three days - and after running for too long it starts getting veeerrrryyyy sllloooowww.

I had a whole string of WU's which hadn't started, which were half way through and some which were almost finished,  including SAP and a new Climate Prediction one, about a dozen uFluids, about 6 Xtremelabs, a Seti Beta, Nanohive, Einstein, Protien and various others.

This afternoon I turned it back on and all except two were showing as ready to report but there was no sign of the SAP (which needed another 780 hours) and CP (3344 hours to go).  And I know the SETI Beta hadn't run for more than a few minutes.

All very strange (I'm running version 5.8.15)   :?:  :scratch:  :dontknow:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Jane

Sounds like BOINC Manager has got itself in a "fix".

Windows can sometimes have issues if certain applications don't free up the memory they have used, with a result that over time, BOINC has less memory available to it and hence things start running more slowly, as Windows starts using more swap space on the hard drive, to make up for the loss of available physical memory.

As a result, BOINC and some project applications can find they don't have enough memory to run....with a result that BOINC loses it's connection to the "localhost" and suddenly it can't find the XML files that tell BOINC Manager what it should be doing.

And so you appear to lose the projects.

If you haven't installed any recent applications, you can "go back" to how it was (after you allowed those missing BOINC applications to download new work), by choosing to reset to a recent "restore point" (It's the "System Restore" program in the "System Tools" on the "Start" button).

This hopefully will restore you to point where BOINC is working again.

regards

Tim