Wanna crunch HARD? Check the CPU ratings

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Wanna crunch HARD? Check the CPU ratings

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Have been looking around to replace some old hardware as my Financial Year end comes up at end of March and I'm sure I can "waste" some of the Governments "dues" on re-equipping with some decent PC's....might even help my RAC up from the 500-700 range, as I'm being trounced by some of the new members... :oops:

So, took a look at the latest results for CPU's running BOINC....

And no surprise the Core 2 Duo's seem to be dominating (except for the expensive new Xeons on course !)

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/host_cp ... st=0&or=10

So, am gonna have to take the plunge soon enough.

regards

Tim
Timby

Post by Timby »

Mmm interesting, I wonder what you opt for? I have just ordered a new CPU that will be in place for the weekends crunch, so should boost the RAC a little, can't say any more as SWMBO might be watching Image
I am quite lucky in one respect living close to a well known Helicopter manufacturer, our CPU coolers are BIG Image Image
Temujin

Re: Wanna crunch HARD? Check the CPU ratings

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Timbo wrote:And no surprise the Core 2 Duo's seem to be dominating
So, am gonna have to take the plunge soon enough.
I can thoroughly recomend a Core 2 Duo 6600 :thumbup:
Can't comment on other projects but on Seti with V2.2 Chicken Soup, mine is hitting 2000RAC see here
The 6600 is the 1st of the core2s with 4MB L2 cache and is only a bit more expensive than the 6400 but its a whole lot cheaper than a 6700.
Good value and a good choice
Timby

Post by Timby »

I am trying to get my god son signed up. just built a system for him, QX6700 Quad Core, 2Megs of Cosair matched ram, two 300Gig SATA2 HDD, NVidia 8800GTX Graphics card and two DVD writers and XP64 bit edition, cost a small fortune but dose it fly!!
Ideal bit of kit for crunching, all he does with it play games with it!!!!
Last edited by Timby on Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Timby wrote:I am trying to get my god son signed up. just built a system for him, QX6700 Quad Core, 2Megs of Cosair matched ram, two 300Gig SATA2 HDD, NVidia 880GTX Graphics card and two DVD writers and XP64 bit edition, cost a small fortune but dose it fly!!
Ideal bit of kit for crunching, all he does with it play games with it!!!!
Surely, it would have been cheaper to buy him an Xbox360, a PS3 AND a Wii...and then he can get all the games he wants to play from his mates.... :oops:

As for the cost of the kit....what did that little lot cost? a bit more than tuppence ha'penny. :shock:

regards

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Wanna crunch HARD? Check the CPU ratings

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Temujin wrote:I can thoroughly recomend a Core 2 Duo 6600 :thumbup:
Can't comment on other projects but on Seti with V2.2 Chicken Soup, mine is hitting 2000RAC see here
The 6600 is the 1st of the core2s with 4MB L2 cache and is only a bit more expensive than the 6400 but its a whole lot cheaper than a 6700.
Good value and a good choice
Hi John,

I've always been a "fan" of CPU's with high levels of "on-die" cache - makes a lot of sense keeping recent instructions etc "in-house" rather than having to be pulled in from main memory....

My old 6-way HP server had a Meg of cache on each Xeon CPU (couldn't afford the 2Mb cache versions), and once I get the mobo sorted, it'll be back in action, but only on the shorter WU's as the CPU's are only rated at 700MHz....!

The 6600 certainly looks the part.....and maybe once the quad/octo core versions come out at sensible prices, then I'll upgrade to that. But multi-CPU die's seem to be the way forwards now, given that the increasing core speeds is a non-runner now....no point "busting a gut" to go faster.....but plenty of reasons to have more CPU's going fast...

regards

Tim
Timby

Post by Timby »

As for the cost of the kit....what did that little lot cost? a bit more than tuppence ha'penny.  
About a weeks wages for you Tim, no seriously just over 2K, it has a flashy case with 2X 250mm fans, seasonic PSU etc, just a bit nerve racking when switching on for the first time??
I think he will use it for mixing tracks for the band he plays in, he plays lead guitar.