Say 'No' to 0870

Add links or just chat about things you've found elsewhere on the web...or just add a "plug" for a local event happening near you...!
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Say 'No' to 0870

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

0870 numbers are a pain in the **** (or *** if you're American) and cost a lot more than ordinary calls. Some bright spark (who should be nominated for sainthood) has created this website where you can search for an 0870 number that you've been given and, in many cases, give you a normal landline number which can be as little as one tenth of the cost.

I've just used it for the first time to search for a service number given to me by PC World and it actually found an equivalent 0800 number. I'm well chuffed.

Try it out at http://www.saynoto0870.com

Chris.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Been using it for a long time now, just never shared it :lol:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Say 'No' to 0870

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris Suddick wrote:0870 numbers are a pain in the **** (or *** if you're American) and cost a lot more than ordinary calls. Some bright spark (who should be nominated for sainthood) has created this website where you can search for an 0870 number that you've been given and, in many cases, give you a normal landline number which can be as little as one tenth of the cost.......
Great posting - like Halifax, I've had this website as a shortcut on my desktop for ages.

So many firms now use 0870 as a revenue earner, keeping you on hold for ages, playing you countless messages about why they are so good and why they appreciate you calling (sic) and "we're ever so busy, we just don't have enough operators to answer all our lovely customers calls".....

yeah, right !

More like....let's keep this person on hold even longer so we can earn even more dosh from them.....

For some time now, 0870 has been a non-geographic number that ISN'T related to the actual cost of a national rate call, as the phone operators PAY the licensees of the number a percentage share of the call revenue....

And thankfully, OFCOM last week announced a change (to happen NEXT YEAR) where there'll be more transparency about the actual cost of calls to 0870 and they will introduce a new non-geographic number range starting 03, that'll be cheaper with no "pay back" to the licensees....

Then, let's see how many firms relinquish their 0870's in order to prive they really care...and how many keep them as profit-making mechanisms.

BTW: To have an 0870 number, you need an actual landline number....and the named website makes it obvious what the ACTUAL landline number is that the 0870 re-directs to.....clever stuff....

PS incensed mode > "off"

regards

Tim

PPS If you know the REAL landline number associated with an 0870, then you can submit this to the website and it'll update it's database accordingly...!