Antique systems

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
Rockinfroggi

Antique systems

Post by Rockinfroggi »

I am trying to breath some life into an Antique Pentium II system for a friends daughter. As they live around 300 miles away I'll probably be stuck with it here for about 6 months.
Are there any projects particularly suited to slow old systems as I may as well put it to work while it is here.

Gary.
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Something with short WUs might make sense. Try Xtremlab (for a P4 two work units done in under ten minutes). Same with chess960@home, though work is less available and the deadlines are VERY short, i.e. the same day. Xtremlab is wht I'd recommend.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Thanks DJH, I'll get it hooked up to the network today.

Gary.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Xtremlab is also my recommendation
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Antique systems

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Rockinfroggi wrote:I am trying to breath some life into an Antique Pentium II system for a friends daughter.......
I'd endorse XtremLab as well...

I have an aging PC used as a print server. OK, so it's a Dual CPU Pentium 3 @ 800MHz with 64Mb of memory !!!! - http://xw01.lri.fr:4320/show_host_detai ... stid=33655.

Crunches XtremLab WU's in under 10 minutes.....and there's loads work, so hardly have to spend any time making sure it's still crunching....

regards

Tim
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Thanks all, I'll give Xtremlabs a go first then and see how it does, but I thought I'd read a few bad reports on it somewhere in the forum something about not getting credits for WUs crunched?

Gary.
DJH@GB-Ro

Re: Antique systems

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

UBT - Timbo wrote:I have an aging PC used as a print server. OK, so it's a Dual CPU Pentium 3 @ 800MHz with 64Mb of memory !!!! - http://xw01.lri.fr:4320/show_host_detai ... stid=33655.

Crunches XtremLab WUs in under 10 minutes.....and there's loads work, so hardly have to spend any time making sure it's still crunching....
'Average download rate 35093.26 KB/sec' If only :D
UBT - Halifax-lad

Rockinfroggi wrote:Thanks all, I'll give Xtremlabs a go first then and see how it does, but I thought I'd read a few bad reports on it somewhere in the forum something about not getting credits for WUs crunched?

Gary.
Nope credits keep on flying out
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Rockinfroggi wrote:Thanks all, I'll give Xtremlabs a go first then and see how it does, but I thought I'd read a few bad reports on it somewhere in the forum something about not getting credits for WUs crunched?
Speaking for myself alone, I have never had a problem and always been granted credit *touches wood*
UBT - Halifax-lad

minimum quorum = 1

So you get credit straight away
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Well poo, been sitting watching the first WU crunch away and progress to no more than 1% after an hour so I had a look at the home page and see it does not support win ME so until I find the required upgrades needed on ebay to get xp running on this I'll have to try something else.

Having no luck with Chess960@home either, am I flogging a dead horse with this old lump?

Gary.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Rockinfroggi wrote:Well poo, been sitting watching the first WU crunch away and progress to no more than 1% after an hour so I had a look at the home page and see it does not support win ME so until I find the required upgrades needed on ebay to get xp running on this I'll have to try something else.

Having no luck with Chess960@home either, am I flogging a dead horse with this old lump?

Gary.
Hi Gary,

Take a lookie here: http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/ubt-whichproject.html

and scroll towards the end of the page

I'd suggest Chess, Neuron or maybe uFluids....!

If you go to the Team website http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/uk-boinc-team.html and then click on "All the Projects we support", and select a project - the right page will then show the project home page. Just look through it for "Applications" and you should see the types of PC's that can connect. Make sure you have enough memory and HDD space as well as the correct OS...

regards

Tim
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
Rockinfroggi wrote:Well poo, been sitting watching the first WU crunch away and progress to no more than 1% after an hour so I had a look at the home page and see it does not support win ME so until I find the required upgrades needed on ebay to get xp running on this I'll have to try something else.

Gary.
Hi Gary,

Take a lookie here: http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/ubt-whichproject.html

and scroll towards the end of the page

I'd suggest Chess, Neuron or maybe uFluids....!

If you go to the Team website http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/uk-boinc-team.html and then click on "All the Projects we support", and select a project - the right page will then show the project home page. Just look through it for "Applications" and you should see the types of PC's that can connect. Make sure you have enough memory and HDD space as well as the correct OS...

regards

Tim

Thanks again Tim,

Chess was just throwing up computation errors, neuron is not accepting new accounts but uFluids seems to be crunching slowly but surely so I'll leave it on that for the time being.

Gary.