BOINC 5.8.11 for all platforms out

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
DJH@GB-Ro

BOINC 5.8.11 for all platforms out

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Go get it  8)
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Gone got it!

Anyone else wanting to do this can get it from here.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Timby

Post by Timby »

Image Yep got it Image
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:Gone got it!

Anyone else wanting to do this can get it from here.
Thanks Mikee, I should have given a link  :oops:
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Hi people
Can i assume that they got the bugs out then coz read 5.811 wasn't quite ready??
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Terry Caney wrote:Hi people
Can i assume that they got the bugs out then coz read 5.811 wasn't quite ready??
BOINC has never been quite ready since the 1st ever release :wink:
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Get where your coming from he he  :lol:
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

I'm looking forward to when they give out a version with the sorting by columns feature that was in the test version 5.8.6 8)
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Is there a problem with 5.8.8 or any new features with 5.8.11 that make it worth upgrading again as 5.8.8 was not long ago :?:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

DJH@GB-Ro wrote:I'm looking forward to when they give out a version with the sorting by columns feature that was in the test version 5.8.6 8)
A very long time ago, you could sort by columns, which was very useful...must have been one of the early v4.x releases. And for some reason they dropped it. :roll:

Am still waiting for the time, when you can specify your own project preferences locally - i.e. if project "x" out of work/not contactable, etc then crunch project "y".

regards

Tim
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:Is there a problem with 5.8.8 or any new features with 5.8.11 that make it worth upgrading again as 5.8.8 was not long ago :?:

Thinking the very same thing Mark.

Gary.
UBT - Halifax-lad

If your version works fine there is no need to upgrade at this moment it time, I would leave it until a version with major changes come out. Only changes are work fetch policy and small other improvements, nothing drastic
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

I don't see why people are so relunctant to upgrade, only takes seconds, don't have to uninstall old ones or anything. Even stops any running instances of BOINC. A lot of people seemed to be having some problems with 5.8.8, I didn't have any but it's nice to be up to date and know I won't come accross those solved problems.  :D
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Have just upgraded, took about 30 seconds and now crunching away merrily again. No problems at all 8)
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

DJH@GB-Ro wrote:I don't see why people are so relunctant to upgrade, only takes seconds, don't have to uninstall old ones or anything. Even stops any running instances of BOINC. A lot of people seemed to be having some problems with 5.8.8, I didn't have any but it's nice to be up to date and know I won't come accross those solved problems.  :D
Depends on your connection speed (takes several mins on mine) and how many machines you need to update. Also one of my machines would not restart Boinc after the update and I had to shut it down and restart it so unless there are major advantages I would not rush to "upgrade" again as 5.8 has no advantage to me over the previous version anyway (if anything it is harder to force a work fetch with it).
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Didn't  think about multiple machines :oops:
I like 5.4.11 if DepSpid didn't recommend later versions, I'd still use it. I've even gone back to 5.4.11 just to get more SAP models then come back to 5.8.x  :oops:
UBT - Chris Suddick

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

DJH@GB-Ro wrote:I don't see why people are so relunctant to upgrade, only takes seconds, don't have to uninstall old ones or anything. Even stops any running instances of BOINC. A lot of people seemed to be having some problems with 5.8.8, I didn't have any but it's nice to be up to date and know I won't come accross those solved problems.  :D
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Chris.
Gary

Post by Gary »

wouldn't work for me, had to reinstall 5.8.8.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Also there is no need to upgrade if your BOINC client already does what you need it to, there are no major changes in this release that warrant everyone downloading it straight away
UBT - Halifax-lad

The only big change is really for Linux users they have attempted to alter the benchmarks to make them more equal with Windows users.

And there was also a major bug to do with the scheduling of BOINC but thats about all.

The one for me is going to be the column sorting version just as soon as the bugs are worked out