Any simple way to use 2 cores (1 on CPDN, 1 other projects)

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Any simple way to use 2 cores (1 on CPDN, 1 other projects)

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Is there a simple way to make Boinc 5.8.8 work with big and little WUs…………..CPDN WU 2000 plus hours - assorted other projects say 20 hours…settings connect to projects once a day, switch every 10000 mins,  97% CPDN resource share.
Does one core run CPDN and the other the rest (so giving 20 hours work for both cores)?
No, runs the other stuff on both cores so after 10 hours just CPDN left to run and 1 core unused. Tried playing  around with all the settings but cannot get it to work with any sense (none of the projects are in any deadline trouble).
Is there any VERY SIMPLE way to get CPDN running all the time on one core while other projects run on the other one and/or get BOINC to complete individual WUs before it switches projects?
It just got even better, CPDN left running others finished allowed work fetch for WCG, requests 165 seconds of work!! gets a 5hr wu but will still run out of work nearly 20 hours before connecting again…..I can see CPDN will have to bite the dust if this continues.  (Ran 2 SAP at once so was not a problem, don’t want 2 CPDN)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi,

I've got pretty much the situation you want, running on my P4 3GHz with HT.

I've got one BBC WU, which has a deadline of 21st April 2007 and which currently is running 100% on one core.

The other core is currently being switched by BOINC Manager between any of the projects I see fit to run  8)

I've also set BBC project to "no new work" - thereby leaving BOINC Manager to only get WUs from projects I "allow"  8)

Partly it's luck I guess as the deadline for the BBC WU isn't far off and I guess BOINC knows it's gotta keep crunching that one to meet the deadline.

Also: I only keep a "cache" of only 1.5 days work. And thus far on this single core I've recently been running: TMRL, RCN, Sztaki, Neuron, SETI Beta, Riesel.

So, I'm not sure there's an easy way to get BOINC Manager to specifically crunch EXACTLY the projects you want...even by setting the cache and the resource shares.

But by luck or by design, it can be made to work...!

regards

Tim
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

I only keep about a days work cache..
if I suspended the CPDN wu until it was in deadline trouble it would have to let it run 24/7....trouble is I'd be stuck with it suspended for 9 months.  Looks like abort or run 2 at once....I'll have to think about it, Boinc estimates 3 months work 24/7 a bit much perhaps (I thought 12 days for SAP was long enough. :?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:I only keep about a days work cache..
if I suspended the CPDN wu until it was in deadline trouble it would have to let it run 24/7....trouble is I'd be stuck with it suspended for 9 months.  Looks like abort or run 2 at once....I'll have to think about it, Boinc estimates 3 months work 24/7 a bit much perhaps (I thought 12 days for SAP was long enough. :?
At least you receive credits every time CPDN trickles back some results.

So, on a credit basis alone, you will still receive some healthy credits.

But on a moral basis the project can only interpret your results if you return EVERY trickle.

And at least the credits earned are quite useful - it's not like they don't reward the efforts made... :D

My ONLY concern on the CPDN projects is that (personally) I'd love to return an entire WU - but on the two projects I've tried before (CPDN and SAP) all the WU I worked on, have failed before the end. The single BBC WU I have now is at approx 50% - so still time for it to go belly up  :cry:

regards

Tim