The Ramanujan Machine St. Valentine's Day Challenge 2024

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
wbiz
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

The Ramanujan Machine St. Valentine's Day Challenge 2024

Post by wbiz »

Ramanujam, started Midnight (UTC) Tuesday 13th February, finishes Midnight Friday 16th February

12 Teams registered so far

https://www.boincstats.com/stats/challe ... /chat/1121

No GPU so Cores get the Scores, no requirement for user registration.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: The Ramanujan Machine St. Valentine's Day Challenge 2024

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hiya

Thanks for the heads-up !

I'm in on this, especially as I currently have 980,986 credits on Ramanujan project and I am just itching to breach the 1m mark !

regards
Tim
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:11 am Hiya

Thanks for the heads-up !

I'm in on this, especially as I currently have 980,986 credits on Ramanujan project and I am just itching to breach the 1m mark !

regards
Tim
I noticed it had been one of your favourite projects recently, that and the bovine one.

It is one of the good things about sprints is that they give you motivation to put time into low scoring projects.

Our best position was 4th and currently 6th, Boinc Australia are on our tails and cranking up, I hope we can hold them off. Seven team members have contributed so far.
Last edited by wbiz on Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrostyDog
UBT Contributor

Post by FrostyDog »

I'm all in on this one on my PC since midnight.

Australia just came zooming past us sadly.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

wbiz wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:08 am I noticed it had been one of your favourite projects recently, that and the bovine one.
Hiya

Yup, hitting the 1m mark on Ramanujan has been something I wanted to achieve so I can then concentrate on some other CPU projects where I have not yet reached the 1m mark. Just call me a pedant to want to hit 1m on as many projects as I can. !!

On the GPU side, I switch projects that support NVidia graphics cards and GPU tasks seem to be in short supply. Obviously PrimeGrid almost always has available tasks, but some other projects do not.

SETI@home and Collatz are no more and Amicable, Asteroids, GPUGrid and Minecraft have had periods when no tasks were available.

That rather leaves: Einstein (which doesn't seem to like my hosts), NumberFields, Moo and SRBase. And I'm not counting Private GFN !!

So, it's rather a question of which project is involved in a Challenge so I can switch my GPUs onto.
wbiz wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:08 am It is one of the good things about sprints is that they give you motivation to put time into low scoring projects.

Our best position was 4th and currently 6th, Boinc Australia are on our tales and cranking up, I hope we can hold them off. Seven team members have contributed so far.
I've always liked Challenges and getting people to all pull together for a worthy cause. But these days, trying to stimulate activity in some areas is harder due to the economic climate and the fact that UBT has done so well over the years and many now feel that they've "done their bit" and just want to run BOINC as and when they want to and to support those projects that they like the most or they have personal milestones they want to reach. Which is fair enough 8)

regards
Tim
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

FrostyDog wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:04 am I'm all in on this one on my PC since midnight.

Australia just came zooming past us sadly.
Boinc Australia can be sporadic so we might get the place back eventually, or we might not, we can only just keep plodding away and see what happens.

Currently a safe 7th out of ten participating teams, its a pretty small but tough line up of teams, if all twelve registered teams were participating my aspiration was that we would get 8th with a minimum of 9th.

I forgot how slow Ramanujan hands out its tasks and could have bunkered more credits in the period between the BG Sprint and the start of Ramanujan if I had remembered.
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

7th it was, BOINC Australia pulled way ahead of us, we challenged SETI.USA for a while (I think they went on a tea break) but they eventually pulled away from us. There wasn't any threat from those below us.

Seven UBT contributors, my thanks to:-

Chris
Dan
FrostyDog
Ian
Mikee
Tim

Back to marathon work and personal targets for a while.