BOINCStats Challenges 2024

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

BOINCStats Challenges 2024

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

The first BOINCStats Challenge runs from 11th-16th January starting at 20:00 UTC. The featured project is SRBase.

UBT (as always) is involved, so if anyone has some spare crunching capacity, feel free to get involved.

https://www.boincstats.com/stats/challe ... /chat/1120

regards
Tim
wbiz
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Re: BOINCStats Challenges 2024

Post by wbiz »

GPU project (TF tasks) and we haven't got any GPU's running, we peaked at 9th and are sliding backwards :(
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

wbiz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:53 pm GPU project (TF tasks) and we haven't got any GPU's running, we peaked at 9th and are sliding backwards :(
Hiya

Despite me "allowing" GPU tasks to be downloaded, I've yet to receive ANY TF tasks...so, all I can crunch are CPU tasks, which do not earn significant numbers of credits.

And I upgraded my NVidia driver just for this after being prompted by BOINC Manager (although it was already at major version 474) so it should still have been good enough to allow TF tasks to be crunched.

Sadly, only 3 members of UBT are actually taking part in this Challenge:

https://www.boincstats.com/stats/157/user/list/0/0/35/0

regards
Tim
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

Tell me about it!

I've spent quite a bit of the day getting my integrated GPU's going. Windows has an absolutely stupid rule that the GPU is disabled unless there is an active login and display on the console. As I operate remotely through SSH and RDP the GPU gets disabled, so I have to maintain active VNC connections to the windows computers to allow them to run GPU tasks.

I only use one physical screen and that is used for my desktop. It has two inputs but the other input, when not selected, still switched off the GPU.

I have dummy VGA and HDMI plugs but they don't help because its not an active login through the console. I think I might be able to get round that but I've burnt my three brain cells out enough today. I'd get it going and a few minutes later the GPU was disabled yet again.

Quick calculation is that the two GPUs will probably get 250,000 credits per 24Hrs on SRBase which is three times more than me burning 56 CPU cores like I have been until I realised it wasn't enough.

The last time I tried to get the GPU's going they were only achieving the same as three CPU cores but I had to knock off at least ten cores to stop thermal throttling of the integrated GPU, the GPU wasn't worth it and I left it on CPU tasks. So at least some progress today but its still left me with problems to work out.
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

Kicking myself now for not sorting out the AMD integrated GPU's before the challenge, we would have been in 10th position now.

Tried to get my Intel integrated GPU's going but SRBase doesn't appear to do OpenCL 1.2

Currently 14th but we stand a good chance of gaining a place by the end of the challenge provided Team overehttop doesn't wake up.
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

Ended up 13th

Thanks to Mikee, Paul and Tim for their efforts and contribution.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

wbiz wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:09 pm Ended up 13th

Thanks to Mikee, Paul and Tim for their efforts and contribution.
NP

Don't use Boincstats anymore since they disabled the 'classic' version so no idea what challenges are available and don't come here as often as I used to, so it was just lucky I saw that!

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikee wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:03 am Don't use Boincstats anymore since they disabled the 'classic' version so no idea what challenges are available and don't come here as often as I used to, so it was just lucky I saw that!

Mike
Hi Mikee

You can always bookmark this link:

https://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/newforum ... 13#p120213

which has links direct to both PROJECT and TEAM Challenges.

regards
Tim