Going to build a third PC.

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
djg2008
Active UBT Contributor

Going to build a third PC.

Post by djg2008 »

Hi and sorry for the absence. I have stopped for now on Folding@Home and I am returning to BOINC.

I have made an investment into a new CPU which will be onboard graphics and exclusively 16 cores for various projects to rake up what I can.

All the best,
Dave.
Folding@Home

BOINC
ChelseaOilman
TeAm AnandTech team member

Re: Going to build a third PC.

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Just built 2 Ryzen 7950X systems and building a 3rd this weekend. One mini ITX build and two full towers. All three with 360 AIO CPU coolers. The mini ITX has an RTX 4070 GPU and one of the full towers has an RTX 4070 Ti GPU. 2nd full tower will get a GPU when I get back to my winter home in Texas.
djg2008
Active UBT Contributor

Post by djg2008 »

Beastly looking rigs! If I had extra dispensable income, I'd be throwing money towards something beastly. I just have to make do modestly lol :)

To be honest, I switched the BOINC installation drive on the Ryzen across to the HDD as opposed to the SSD it was on. I don't run it on the other PC anymore, only the Ryzen.

I had some teething issues with the BOINC manager at first, forgot how to do stuff. I think I'm back on track now after a day, and straight back to NumberFields (cpu) and PrimeGrid (gpu)! :D
Folding@Home

BOINC
djg2008
Active UBT Contributor

Post by djg2008 »

November update. I'm at 3 parts now (cpu, gpu, psu) and I'm already down just short of £1100.

Folding@Home

BOINC
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

djg2008 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:46 pm November update. I'm at 3 parts now (cpu, gpu, psu) and I'm already down just short of £1100.
Hiya Dave

There's only one word to describe the cost: OUCH !!

But, OTOH, it'll keep you warm during the winter and if you get a snazzy case like the examples shown above, you get free in-room lighting as well !!

Hope the build goes well and the improvement to your stats makes all the effort (and cost) worthwhile !!

regards
Tim
djg2008
Active UBT Contributor

Post by djg2008 »

Hi Tim,

Thanks! I tend to use the cpus and gpus on both i5 and ryzen a lot more these days.

This i7/4070 will be dedicated, so hopefully it goes on to discover some great things for the future.

This year especially has shown me little faith in humanity at large, but our small contributions may just help to save humankind. Here's to wishful thinking.

Dave
Folding@Home

BOINC
wbiz
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Post by wbiz »

Prices appear to be rising at the moment, not sure if this is the pre-Black-Friday fake rise or the Xmas robbery has started, unless we are heading into another component shortage?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

wbiz wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:03 am Prices appear to be rising at the moment, not sure if this is the pre-Black-Friday fake rise or the Xmas robbery has started, unless we are heading into another component shortage?
Hiya

I think most PC parts normally are based on US $ costs and so if the exchange rate changes between GBP and USD, then this can affect import, trade and retail pricing...so a small blip at the prime cost level and this can make prices go up (or down !).

Take a look here and see how GBP has traded against USD over the last 20 years:

https://www.oanda.com/uk-en/trading/ins ... s/gbp-usd/

Click on the "30 D" setting and then drag the bar (underneath the plots) and see how far the rate has come down - in winter 2007, it was over US $2 to the 1 GBP...and currently about US $2.21 to the pound !!

PS: Since the Tories came into government 13 years ago, the general trend has been a weaker GBP vs the USD. Which means UK sterling does not get as many USD in exchange, so anything made and costed in USD is going to be more expensive as the rate gets worse. :-(

regards
Tim
djg2008
Active UBT Contributor

Post by djg2008 »

I think there might be after Christmas sales. At least that's what the guy in the PC store said. I guess we'll see :lol:

I don't order online myself, but I imagine you'll find deals over the coming months.

It's just a shame I brought the items already that could likely save me some cash. It slows the project of building this computer down.

Still, it'll be more worth it once it's finished - small blessings :)
Folding@Home

BOINC
djg2008
Active UBT Contributor

Post by djg2008 »

Just an update.

So this won't likely happen now until either later on this year or early next.

Financial circumstances changed and also my 3060 fan died, and I've decided not to be replacing it.

Instead I will retire this ryzen as just a media center. At the moment, it's just CPU crunching. The 3060 GPU, without a fan - when it hits just over 100c, the system shuts off (kernel 41 error). I'm not replacing that proprietary fan part or buying a new 3060 either. This HP Omen has been a bad experience all around really. I'm forever more going to be having PC's built at a specific shop that specializes in it.

I'll try to remember to post an update if I can.
Folding@Home

BOINC
wbiz
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Post by wbiz »

djg2008 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:18 amFinancial circumstances changed and also my 3060 fan died, and I've decided not to be replacing it.
Isn't it still under warranty?
ChelseaOilman
TeAm AnandTech team member

Post by ChelseaOilman »

djg2008 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:18 amFinancial circumstances changed and also my 3060 fan died, and I've decided not to be replacing it.
If you have room in the case use one of these next to the GPU.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0929 ... =UTF8&th=1

It's cheap and works quite well.

If your 3060 only has 2 fans here's a 2 fan version of that GPU cooler.

https://www.amazon.com/Wathai-Brushless ... r=1-2&th=1
djg2008
Active UBT Contributor

Post by djg2008 »

The 3060 only had a single working fan. It can run idle, but any game or GPU intensive process will quite quickly overheat the GPU.

I now have a solid plan of action, and although the i7 will eventually come, it's now deferred for the time being. I'm going to upgrade my lower end PC first.

I won't be doing anything regarding warranty, as 1) it's likely out, and 2) this HP factory build has caused me more issues than would be solved by building a better rig through a company that sells parts as well as pre-built/custom built PCs. I think I will have a better time going down that route, as I'm searching for rigs that will last a decent amount of years, not just 1 or 2 tops before they start failing.
Folding@Home

BOINC