Hello

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
gavinjb.boinc
Active UBT Contributor

Hello

Post by gavinjb.boinc »

Hi all, I am Gavin.

I am 47 year old Disabled person who uses my computer to play games and use the internet to do research and do voluntary work with a local company.
Nimbus Disability, (https://www.nimbusdisability.com/)

My PC

Motherboard: B550M DS3H
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
Ram: 32 GB
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 Supper

Boinc

I have been using boinc for the last few years on and of, I mainly get projects regarding health research so at the moment I only get Tasks from World Community Grid, but I am Open to suggestions for other health related projects
wbiz
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Re: Hello

Post by wbiz »

Welcome Gavin!

Likewise I bias towards health/biology projects so target denis@home, World Community Grid and rosetta@home. SiDock also has health tasks usually but I don't prioritise that so often.

denis and rosetta work is very sporadic, I have a soft spot for denis as their comms are very good.

Andy
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Gavin

Welcome to the forum !

Hopefully you can have a wander through the place here and see what's been going for the last few years.

But it has gotten a little bit quieter here, as some members have slowed down their involvement with BOINC (possibly due to age, or life commitments, or just getting bored) and of course the recent hike in energy bills has had an effect as well.

I think Andy has neatly summed up the projects that have health applications available most (or sometimes some) of the time.

There is one other project which you can look at: RNA World - but that rarely if ever has any tasks available...but it might do in the future?

https://www.rnaworld.de/rnaworld/server_status.php

So, I'd be tempted to leave your main focus on WCG (and leave your task preferences at 100%) and then set your "Resource share" on each of the *other* projects you want to assist to 0%.

Then leave them all set to "Accept new work" - then you can contribute to WCG most of the time, but when WCG runs out of tasks, if any of the other projects have tasks available, then BOINC Manager will just download one task per CPU...so the host machine will be kept busy pretty much all of the time.

I need to check if any of the BOINC health projects can use your GPU...I don't think any do at present - so, if you do find any other project that want to dedicate your GPU to their research, just make sure that (for that project) you DISABLE the "Use CPU" preference on that specific project website, as then your CPUs will always be crunching health-related tasks.

regards
Tim
gavinjb.boinc
Active UBT Contributor

Post by gavinjb.boinc »

Hi Tim

Thanks

Gavin
Last edited by gavinjb.boinc on Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
ChelseaOilman
TeAm AnandTech team member

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Unless you want to get on a spam list you might want to remove your email address. I PMed Tim.
gavinjb.boinc
Active UBT Contributor

Post by gavinjb.boinc »

Thank you all everything is sorted now
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Gavin

Excellent !!

regards