BOINC Games Sprints 2023

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

BOINC Games Sprints 2023

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

Just in case anyone is interested, these are the dates for the 6 Sprints organised by BOINC Games for this year:

Extreme Sports Winter X Games - 01/27/2023 01:00 (UTC) - 01/29/2023 01:00 (UTC) - SRBase

Skiing Alpine World Ski Championships - 02/15/2023 14:00 (UTC) - 02/19/2023 14:00 (UTC) - SiDock

Golf Masters - 04/06/2023 12:00 (UTC) - 04/09/2023 12:00 (UTC) - MilkyWay

Tennis Wimbledon - 07/10/2023 20:00 (UTC) - 07/16/2023 20:00 (UTC) - NumberFIelds

Sailing World Championships - 08/16/2023 05:00 (UTC) - 08/20/2023 05:00 (UTC) - Asteroids@home

Rugby World Cup - 10/24/2023 19:00 (UTC) - 10/28/2023 19:00 (UTC) - Project to be Determined

I took part in the first Sprint, but for some strange reason, my BOINC credits were not actually counted towards our Teams Sprint total on BOINC Games - I do not know why, as the BOINC credits were applied to my project account *before* the official end of the Sprint.

UPDATE: It seems my registration on their website took a while to work it's way through to their stats collecting "scripts" and hence my account was not included in time in order to allow my credits to be "counted". Not that it matters much.

regards
Tim
wbiz
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Re: BOINC Games Sprints 2023

Post by wbiz »

On the starting blocks after thinking I was going to be an hour late :dance:
ChelseaOilman
TeAm AnandTech team member

Post by ChelseaOilman »

NumberFields@Home is the BOINCGames sprint.
07/10/2023 20:00 (UTC) - 07/16/2023 20:00 (UTC)

CPU and GPU tasks. The GPU tasks are poorly optimized, CPU tasks do just as well. I'm doing both.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

wbiz wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:49 pm On the starting blocks after thinking I was going to be an hour late :dance:
Hiya

Yup - I'm in too, but just on GPU tasks, as I've got a few other CPU tasks in my cache I want to finish first. 8)

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Anyone have tasks running on the old 3.00 app? Seems it's a 32 bit app and runs slower.

Microsoft Windows (98 or later) running on an Intel x86-compatible CPU 3.00 (default)
Microsoft Windows running on an AMD x86_64 or Intel EM64T CPU 4.00 (default)
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Looks like we're in a pretty solid 4th place so far.

@wbiz My 2 Beelink systems have earned almost 100K points combined so far in this sprint. Not bad!
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:33 pm Looks like we're in a pretty solid 4th place so far.

@wbiz My 2 Beelink systems have earned almost 100K points combined so far in this sprint. Not bad!
Hi Carl

Yup - looks like this Sprint might turn out well for UBT.

Team stats:

https://www.boincgames.com/sprint_details.php?id=13

I just wish a few more members would register and take part, as this is supposed to be a TEAM, rather than just 4 techy nerds who enter (almost) EVERY Sprint !! :o :shock: :shock:

Individual member stats (all teams):

https://www.boincgames.com/sprint_users.php?id=13

regards
Tim
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:33 pm Looks like we're in a pretty solid 4th place so far.

That is very impressive, the last numberfields sprint (on FB) I was getting 30k/day, I think I'm getting a little more this time and using less energy.

Once the points started rolling in we were 3rd for a while, then 2nd.

BoincGames appears to have lost some appeal, twelve teams consisting of thirty three users. On those figures UBT has 45% more active members than average

I'm not sure if I like the longer sprints or not, there are pros and cons.
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

wbiz wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:04 amI'm not sure if I like the longer sprints or not, there are pros and cons.
Yes they're longer but there's fewer of them.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

wbiz wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:04 am BoincGames appears to have lost some appeal, twelve teams consisting of thirty three users. On those figures UBT has 45% more active members than average

I'm not sure if I like the longer sprints or not, there are pros and cons.
Hiya

I think the higher cost of energy has put a lot of people off crunching regularly and I sleep my home PC overnight to save some pennies on the leccy bill (which all adds up over a month).

The FB Sprints are tied into the F1 races, as a concept, while BG is more like a project challenge and takes place to on dates to honour specific moments in time.

However, I'm not quite sure about why the "Tennis WImbledon" Sprint is only over 6 days (when it is a 14 day event) and the "Rugby World Cup" Sprint is over 4 days when the event is about 58 days long (8 Sept - 28 Oct).

But it is what it is, so at least BG are organising something to generate some interest in BOINC.

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:21 amI think the higher cost of energy has put a lot of people off crunching regularly and I sleep my home PC overnight to save some pennies on the leccy bill (which all adds up over a month).
Keith — 07/04/2023 1:20 PM
Still can't fathom how you can produce excess power over your consumption. I generated 2MWh also last month. My bill for that month was still over $1500. I too am paying $.050 kwh for peak and $0.36 for off-peak.
That's dedication!!! :shock:

You learn lots of stuff over in Discord.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:47 pm
Keith — 07/04/2023 1:20 PM
Still can't fathom how you can produce excess power over your consumption. I generated 2MWh also last month. My bill for that month was still over $1500. I too am paying $.050 kwh for peak and $0.36 for off-peak.
That's dedication!!! :shock:
Hi Carl

$1500 for a months usage of leccy seems an awful lot, esp if "Keith" is actually generating 2MWh of leccy himself as well. Maybe he has many inefficient hosts with power hungry GPUs?

And is that right? paying 5c per kWh for peak use and 36c per kWh for OFF peak?

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:07 pmAnd is that right? paying 5c per kWh for peak use and 36c per kWh for OFF peak?
I suspect that's a typo on his part and the peak rate is $0.50 not $0.05.
He's heavy into astronomy and BOINC projects that are related to astronomy.
As you can see from his avatar ---> https://einsteinathome.org/account/87612

He lives in California which has an electrical grid that can't meet demand. California highly encourages solar systems to help with the situation. May be the highest electric rates in the continental USA.

His post in Discord was in response to pututu another California resident.
pututu — 07/02/2023 9:54 AM
Just got my Jun electricity bill. Peak rate has gone up by almost 25% to $0.51 per kWh

https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... eight=1025

[9:56 AM]
Just trying to run enough rigs to offset the extra power generation from the solar panels.
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Keith Myers is the #6 producer in Numberfields right now with his collection of equipment.
https://numberfields.asu.edu/NumberFiel ... id=1316872

I'm all the way down at #13.
https://numberfields.asu.edu/NumberFields/top_users.php
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:27 pm Keith Myers is the #6 producer in Numberfields right now with his collection of equipment.
https://numberfields.asu.edu/NumberFiel ... id=1316872
Hi Carl

Thanks for the link.

He's got some serious GPU processing power there for NumebrFields:

10x RTX3080's and 3x RTX2080's spread across just 5 hosts...! :shock:

Plus 2x 128-core AMD CPU's and 3x 32-core AMD CPUs. (These are not being used on NumberFields from what I can tell) :o

UPDATE: He also has 10 hosts crunching Einstein:

https://einsteinathome.org/account/87612/computers

8 hosts on GPUGrid:

https://www.gpugrid.net/hosts_user.php? ... rid=516740

8 hosts on Universe@home:

https://universeathome.pl/universe/host ... rid=212647

and I'm not even going to list all the other projects he has joined...

Most of these hosts are active TODAY across multiple projects !

That will surely rack up some big leccy bills !

regards
Tim
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

That's not much of a discount for off-peak in California, in UK peak is £0.395/kWh and off-peak £0.158/kWh. Our standing charges have gone up to £0.62 a day for dual rate electricity. Taken from British Gas figures who are not my supplier.

I guess California has a lot of Solar supplying the grid which of course goes offline at night.

UK also have peak demand rates available where you are heavily penalised for using electricity in the early evening but discounted the rest of the day.

More recently we have variable demand rates which are priced by the half hour according to demand and bulk market prices, these are calculated in advance so you can plan ahead but I imagine will become real time.

With fully variable rates In some circumstances the price can go negative and they pay you to burn electricity but these are rare and short lived. This comes about because distributors are penalised for not consuming electricity they have committed to using.

I remember when we were young, scientists were convinced every household would get a refrigerator sized atomic power station, many satellites have had micro nuclear plants. Unfortunately the levels of stupidity and vandalism means we can't risk having that amount of nuclear material in public hands.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

wbiz wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:02 am Unfortunately the levels of stupidity and vandalism means we can't risk having that amount of nuclear material in public hands.
Hiya

...and the woke brigade will be up in arms that terrorists could burgle peoples homes, remove the nuclear-based power plant and then build dirty bombs to de-stabilise governments or businesses that they disagree with !

One would hope that as the world moves towards sustainable energy production, and away from fossil fuels, that the environment will improve, but it will take time, esp with an ever increasing and aging population.

But I am sure that countries and investors in the fossil fuel business are going to be dragging their heels over closing down production - and already there has been a significant shift in diversification from the middle east, towards investing in tourism and sports, just so they can generate profits in those areas which (they hope) will replace their income from oil.

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Seems the BOINCGames sprint is over and we barely held on to 4th place. The stats page is showing all zeros for the last hour update. The sprint may have ended an hour early. Hope nobody was holding on to a large bunker for the last hour. I backed off the other day when we were over a million ahead of Rechenkraft.net but Rechenkraft.net started having large updates so I fired up my clients again just in time to hold them off.
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

Next BoincGames sprint in 16 hours.

05:00 UTC 16/8/2023

https://www.boincgames.com/sprints.php
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

wbiz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:54 pm Next BoincGames sprint in 16 hours.

05:00 UTC 16/8/2023

https://www.boincgames.com/sprints.php
Hiya

Thanks for the reminder - as I *HAD* forgotten about it. :-(

And I'm not sure I'll be awake at 6am BST !!

I wonder which project they'll choose?

My bet is on Universe@home as they have plenty of tasks available right now ! (and presumably, these are left-overs from the FB Sprint of around 3 weeks ago ??).

regards
Tim
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

I'll wind some Universe tasks up early and see what happens, long timeouts on Universe so I can suspend them for the duration of the sprint if another project is chosen.
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

Asteroids!
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

11 PM here. Asteroids is much better than Hemorrhoids! :lol:
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

Comfortable 6th at the moment and catching up with the Czech National Team .... but anything can happen.
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

We are 5th :dance:

.... and accelerating!
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

wbiz wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:01 amAsteroids!
Wow - you were awake early...you deserve a medal for that !!

I've had to go out today so I had no chance to switch projects, but it's been done now but I have some tasks from other projects that need to finish first.

But I'll probably be adding to the teams total credits over the next few hours.

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:05 am 11 PM here. Asteroids is much better than Hemorrhoids! :lol:
You know you can get a cream for it !! :) :) :)

Or, in a worse case scenario, a trip to the hospital !

But I don't want to PILE on the agony :lol:

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:01 pmBut I don't want to PILE on the agony :lol:
We would be doing better on this sprint if BAM didn't revert the settings for Asteroids to "No new tasks" soon after I went to bed. Woke up this morning to computers doing nothing! Had to go to the BAM site and make changes there for them to stick. Can't recall ever having that issue before. That's AGONY! :evil:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:13 pm We would be doing better on this sprint if BAM didn't revert the settings for Asteroids to "No new tasks" soon after I went to bed. Woke up this morning to computers doing nothing! Had to go to the BAM site and make changes there for them to stick. Can't recall ever having that issue before. That's AGONY! :evil:
Yeah - that's not so good.

But you're doing well right now - currently 3rd (out of 135) in the BG individual stats !!

https://www.boincgames.com/sprint_users.php?id=14

I've still yet to register any Asteroids credits (for this Sprint), but the quorum is "2" so my "Awaiting validation" tasks should earn credits soon.

regards
Tim
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:59 pm
wbiz wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:01 amAsteroids!
Wow - you were awake early...you deserve a medal for that !!
Nothing heroic about it, for most of my life I've had around 10 hours sleep a week. Only recently I've started using taurine and get around 3 to 4 hours most nights. I woke up at 2:30am this morning, I'm never short of things to do, there is never enough time and as you get older time races by a lot faster.

Free-DC appears to only be getting asteroid stats once a day so we can't see how the team are progressing individually but on BG I did see the progress step up twice.

Asteroids held up very well in the early rush, I downloaded about 800 tasks in the first twenty minutes and there were only a couple of small delays.
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:05 pmI've still yet to register any Asteroids credits (for this Sprint), but the quorum is "2" so my "Awaiting validation" tasks should earn credits soon.
So far for me: State: All (3070) · In progress (738) · Validation pending (1246) · Validation inconclusive (1) · Valid (1083) · Invalid (0) · Error (2)
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

Would be getting quite a number of credits from members but only the three of us are registered for BG

Code: Select all

ChelseaOilman		62,482
Luigi Naruszewicz	12,040
UnionJack		9,902
UBT - wbiz		5,741
Chris			1,866
Roger Braddick		1,705
James Clarke		827
Glenn C			808
UBT - Timbo		172
Beast			163
Niallos			110
Validation isn't too much of hit for me this time at around 10%, its so frustrating when your up around 50% on the last day of the sprint.

State: All (1567) · In progress (779) · Validation pending (75) · Validation inconclusive (0) · Valid (709) · Invalid (0) · Error (4)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

wbiz wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:11 am Would be getting quite a number of credits from members but only the three of us are registered for BG
Hiya

Yes, it is quite sad that there isn't much UBT support for many of the Team Challenges, though for many, you do not need to register your participation.

But that is down to members preferences so we have to accept this.

Sadly, BOINC Games only includes the credits from registered members that are then collated to produce the "team total" (as opposed to Formula BOINC who collate the stats from the *entire* teams membership, whether the individuals are registered with FB or not).

Thankfully, we do quite well in the BG Sprints in spite of this as many teams registered on BG also do not have many members signed up. :o

regards
Tim
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

Looks like the Czech Team are bunkering credits, don't know why, it can make sense on FB as it can increase your points but on BG it doesn't make any difference and adds risk of something going wrong.
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:36 pmYes, it is quite sad that there isn't much UBT support for many of the Team Challenges, though for many, you do not need to register your participation.
Out of curiosity I clicked on the members link at the bottom of the page and sorted by posts. Is it correct that this forum is over 20 years old yet less than 50 people have ever posted?

Skillz tried to post here but couldn't log in.
Seems people still don't know. I do not, nor does anyone choose the projects for the Sprint. They are randomly picked by the server/site itself.
State: All (6810) · In progress (741) · Validation pending (2275) · Validation inconclusive (1) · Valid (3776) · Invalid (0) · Error (17)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:03 pm Out of curiosity I clicked on the members link at the bottom of the page and sorted by posts. Is it correct that this forum is over 20 years old yet less than 50 people have ever posted?

Skillz tried to post here but couldn't log in.
Hiya

So, what you are seeing is a restricted set of membership stats as many members accounts have been marked as "Inactive" (and hence are invisible) due to not having logged in since 1st January 2020.

And from what I can see (as an admin), is that there are 392 members who *have* posted at least ONCE on the forum since the forum started on 13th March 2006 - so just over 17 years on THIS platform - we had an earlier forum on Yahoo groups originally (IIRC).

We have had more forum members - at one time it was around 550 or so - but I also deleted a lot of accounts some time ago, if the member had NEVER posted anything AND that they had not visited the forum for since the start of 2020.

So, that cut out quite a few people, many of whom by now might have lost all interest in BOINC although I'm sure that some accounts were most likely from spam-bots !

As for Skillz? - it depends on which email account he might use to register here, as some free email providers have been blocked simply due to the number of spam membership requests.

If you are in contact with him, please get him to PM me on one of the project websites and I can set an account up for him.

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:00 pmIf you are in contact with him, please get him to PM me on one of the project websites and I can set an account up for him.
From Skillz on the the BOINCgames Discord channel:
Skillz — Today at 1:07 PM
Hosting a forum doesn't cost a lot of money nor does it require a lot of resources. If he doesn't want to pay for hosting anymore tell him I can throw the site on one of my servers for free.
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

@Timbo Turns out it was the FB forums he couldn't see unless logged in. And he can't log in.

Seems I never set up an account there either. If your not logged in you can't even see the forum to read posts. Kind of messed up.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:45 pm @Timbo Turns out it was the FB forums he couldn't see unless logged in. And he can't log in.

Seems I never set up an account there either. If your not logged in you can't even see the forum to read posts. Kind of messed up.
Hiya

OK, so Skillz had issues accessing the FB forum - I'm not surprised as (I seem to recall that) 2 years ago, he was being highly opinionated on the forum, making many negative comments during the period when ODLK was chosen as the Sprint project and one of the committee members (who knew about the choice of project in advance), chose to download many tasks before the Sprint started (and hence had a head start :-( ).

He also took umbrage with another forum member who he accused of being a troll and he sent me PMs asking for specific details about the IP address of the account for this suspected troll.

So given this less than considerate attitude, his account was made inactive and all of his posts were deleted from public view (which if memory serves me, he had requested - but don't quote me on that !!).

So, it isn't "messed up" as plenty of members have been logging in and reading posts that have been made.

If Skillz wants his FB forum account reactivated he only has to ask (via you, if needs be !!).

And you are free to open your own account on the FB forum if you want. You can use any forum name you want, if you prefer. And I'll activate the account when I am next online as it's nearly time for bedtime here in UK !

Also, I received a very abusive PM that was sent from someone (via a project website) when the 13th FB Sprint ran into trouble and I had to cancel the Sprint and then re-instate it once it was fixed - and this "lowlife" was reading the public pages of the forum and used the information being posted to be abusive - so I simply switched this function off temporarily, thereby preventing this "lowlife" from accessing any further posts.

I have raised a formal complaint with the project and they are investigating this "lowlife" as he/she created a new account on the project just to send abusive PMs...so they are looking into their server logs to see which IP address they used and their email address.

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

And it seems Asteroids is out of tasks.
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:22 am And it seems Asteroids is out of tasks.
I cached everything up, unfortunately I can't transfer them to you :(

Mind you, my full cache is probably only an hours work for you.

UBT is currently 5th and may overtake Gridcoin today :dance:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:22 am And it seems Asteroids is out of tasks.
Hiya

Yup, my Asteroids bunker has run dry...

I wonder if the BG admins actually give any advance notice to the chosen projects to check whether the project is going to have enough tasks for the period of the BG Sprint?

I do this with the FB Sprints and in some cases, the admins have actually generated an increased number of available tasks, (for the Sprint period), just so they can benefit from the extra demand for work units.

This has helped ensure that FB members do not have to "go without" tasks once they have switched over to the designated project.

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:39 pmI wonder if the BG admins actually give any advance notice to the chosen projects to check whether the project is going to have enough tasks for the period of the BG Sprint?
I doubt it. Seems this is fairly common with this project if you read through the posts.
https://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/forum ... d=911#7860
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

wbiz wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:32 amMind you, my full cache is probably only an hours work for you.

UBT is currently 5th and may overtake Gridcoin today :dance:
We had already passed Gridcoin before I went to bed last night. We're going backwards now.

I still have a bunch of tasks waiting to be verified.
State: All (8644) · In progress (1) · Validation pending (1758) · Validation inconclusive (5) · Valid (6857) · Invalid (0) · Error (23)
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

We managed to get back to 4th place. Not by much though. Less than a day to go.I still have Validation pending (1021).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:31 pm I doubt it. Seems this is fairly common with this project if you read through the posts.
https://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/forum ... d=911#7860
Hiya

Just read the posts you linked to for which many thanks.

It does seem strange that the BG admins are not reviewing the daily situation with regards to the choice of Sprint project and the availability of tasks...especially if they are only available cyclically (and this is not being taken into account !!).

In the case of FB Sprints, there are 2 projects selected randomly, one as the primary choice and another as a back-up...so if something happens to the first choice, (such as the project server goes offline or is shut for emergency maintenance) then the selection can be switched at any point up until an hour or so before the official start time.

regards
Tim
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

We finished 4th, a game of attrition.

Asteroids is the Czech National Team's own project which might be a bit awkward for them.
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

I just started getting new Asteroid tasks and still have Validation pending (648) from the last batch.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

wbiz wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:51 am We finished 4th, a game of attrition.

Asteroids is the Czech National Team's own project which might be a bit awkward for them.
Hiya

If you look at the latest BG Sprint stats (for Asteroids), you can see which team was well supported by the following:

This is number of active members (who earned Asteroids credits) vs total registered members on BG:

15 of 24	Planet 3DNow!
9 of 18	TeAm AnandTech
7 of 17	Rechenkraft.net
7 of 12	Gridcoin
6 of 8	GPU Users Group
5 of 8	Czech National Team
3 of 8	Ukraine
2 of 7	[H]ard|OCP
4 of 4	AMD Users
3 of 4	UK BOINC Team
2 of 3	BOINC@AUSTRALIA
2 of 3	The Final Front Ear
1 of 3	Crunching@EVGA
1 of 3	USA

1 of 1	BOINC Synergy
1 of 1	In Science We Trust

0 of 3	The Knights Who Say Ni!
0 of 3	XtremeSystems
0 of 1	BOINC.Italy
0 of 1	Dutch Power Cows
0 of 1	Ecigator
0 of 1	Keep The Fire Alive!
0 of 1	L'Alliance Francophone
So, clearly some teams are not getting as involved in either the chosen project or the Sprint itself (generally)!

regards
Tim
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

I can't see BG surviving, there are still numerous anomalies on their website and bickering on their forums followed by long periods of silence. It was a good try but appears to have lost momentum at the important establishment phase. I haven't bothered to follow the politics other than knowing there were some.

The absence of some of big teams is good for the smaller teams but is also undermining confidence.

The clumsy registration method is not helping, nor is both the team and the individuals having to register.

We shall see.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

wbiz wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:54 pm I can't see BG surviving, there are still numerous anomalies on their website and bickering on their forums followed by long periods of silence. It was a good try but appears to have lost momentum at the important establishment phase. I haven't bothered to follow the politics other than knowing there were some.

The absence of some of big teams is good for the smaller teams but is also undermining confidence.

The clumsy registration method is not helping, nor is both the team and the individuals having to register.

We shall see.
HIya

I do know a bit more about some of the issues they have faced on the website side of things - for instance the developers/code writers have not "delivered" all of the functions that were asked for (and paid for) and as such I think the admin(s) is/are trying to find alternatives to re-write the coding so it works as they wanted.

And one can also see that they have seen the issues that befell the FB website and they have tried an alternative approach, which is fair enough.

But as you mentioned, it hasn't quite "set the world alight" in terms of membership and if anything they have rather diluted the whole approach of FB, by setting up a "rival" set of Challenges, rather than being patient and allowing Sebastien the opportunity to resolve some of the contentious issues with the FB Sprints.

Those issues have now been (mostly) addressed and the forum has settled down and there are fewer arguments or disruptive members spouting off and causing issues.

BG has just one more Sprint planned and their Marathon will continue until the year end.

So, we shall see what happens over time.

Stats-wise: If you want to see WHICH MEMBERS are actually getting involved with BG Sprints, take a look at this below:

Notes: The "Totals" figure shows how many times the members has earned BOINC credits on a specific Sprint project, compared to the actual number of projects they have an account with.

So, "5 of 5" means they participated AND earned BOINC credits on all 5 of the Sprints AND that they had registered on the BG website before the one (or more) of the Sprints were announced.

Whereas "2 of 3" means they earned BOINC credits on 2 Sprints, but they were only registered on 3 out of the 5 Sprint projects chosen so far...so, they were either a later registrant on the BG website AND/OR they do not have a BOINC account on a selected Sprint project. But for 1 Sprint they did not earn ANY credits on the selected Sprint project.

And in the case of the "0 of x" means they were registered with BG but did NOT earn ANY BOINC credits during ANY of the Sprints that they were registered for.

Totals	Member			Team
5 of 5	LtFerrante	(no team)
5 of 5	Coleslaw	[H]ard|OCP
5 of 5	Dirk Broer	AMD Users
5 of 5	Contact		BOINC Synergy
5 of 5	p3d-cluster	Planet 3DNow!
5 of 5	JagDoc		Planet 3DNow!
5 of 5	Herby44		Planet 3DNow!
5 of 5	FritzB		Planet 3DNow!
5 of 5	Florian		Planet 3DNow!
5 of 5	Boone		Planet 3DNow!
5 of 5	joe carnivore	Rechenkraft.net
5 of 5	Skivelitis2	TeAm AnandTech
5 of 5	crashtech	TeAm AnandTech
5 of 5	Skyman		Ukraine

4 of 5	vaughan		AMD Users
4 of 5	olsen_gg	Planet 3DNow!
4 of 5	MrBad		Planet 3DNow!
4 of 5	Magiceye04	Planet 3DNow!
4 of 5	Yeti		Rechenkraft.net
4 of 5	gemini8		Rechenkraft.net
4 of 5	Orange Kid	TeAm AnandTech
4 of 5	mmonnin		TeAm AnandTech
4 of 5	Bikthar		TeAm AnandTech

3 of 5	Ciceronian	AMD Users
3 of 5	Detlef Erdmann	Planet 3DNow!
3 of 5	yoyo_rkn	Rechenkraft.net
3 of 5	Skillz		TeAm AnandTech
3 of 5	kiska		TeAm AnandTech

2 of 5	HardOCPtest	[H]ard|OCP
2 of 5	Euphoriabuzz	AMD Users
2 of 5	Dingo		BOINC@AUSTRALIA
2 of 5	bunteck		BOINC@AUSTRALIA
2 of 5	Opolis		Crunching@EVGA
2 of 5	vmv		Czech National Team
2 of 5	Vit Kliber	Czech National Team
2 of 5	nenym		Czech National Team
2 of 5	forest		Czech National Team
2 of 5	ThrasherX-17	Keep The Fire Alive!
2 of 5	X_FISH		Planet 3DNow!
2 of 5	Stony666	Planet 3DNow!
2 of 5	Landjunge	Planet 3DNow!
2 of 5	eiernacken1983	Planet 3DNow!
2 of 5	MaxAMD400	Rechenkraft.net
2 of 5	dhh		Rechenkraft.net
2 of 5	csbyseti	Rechenkraft.net
2 of 5	Armin Gips	Rechenkraft.net
2 of 5	waffleironhead	TeAm AnandTech
2 of 5	Mardis		TeAm AnandTech
2 of 5	emoga		TeAm AnandTech
2 of 5	NOSNHOP		XtremeSystems
2 of 5	bluestang	XtremeSystems

1 of 5	wareyore	[H]ard|OCP
1 of 5	motqalden	[H]ard|OCP
1 of 5	EXT64		[H]ard|OCP
1 of 5	bcavnaugh	Crunching@EVGA
1 of 5	[DPC] hansR	Dutch Power Cows
1 of 5	Black-Eagle	L'Alliance Francophone
1 of 5	Nussi98		Rechenkraft.net
1 of 5	Kolossus	Rechenkraft.net
1 of 5	Frank [RKN]	Rechenkraft.net
1 of 5	CFJH		Rechenkraft.net
1 of 5	dimus		Ukraine

4 of 4	JStateson	GPU Users Group
4 of 4	Michael Berger	Rechenkraft.net
4 of 4	cellarnoise2	TeAm AnandTech
4 of 4	UBT - Timbo	UK BOINC Team
4 of 4	ChelseaOilman	UK BOINC Team

3 of 4	Aurum		In Science We Trust
3 of 4	ydeeps		Planet 3DNow!
3 of 4	koschi		Planet 3DNow!
3 of 4	Pokey		TeAm AnandTech
3 of 4	Stephen Hunter	UK BOINC Team

2 of 4	entity		BOINC.Italy
2 of 4	4bc3		Czech National Team
2 of 4	neletma		Planet 3DNow!
2 of 4	Michael H.W. Weber	Rechenkraft.net
2 of 4	Mach5		XtremeSystems

1 of 4	Outlaw9876	Planet 3DNow!
1 of 4	fethelix	Planet 3DNow!
1 of 4	Fardringle	TeAm AnandTech
1 of 4	yankton		The Knights Who Say Ni!

3 of 3	Keith Myers	GPU Users Group
3 of 3	Ian&Steve C.	GPU Users Group
3 of 3	Freewill	GPU Users Group
3 of 3	UBT - wbiz	UK BOINC Team
3 of 3	Jason Jung	USA

2 of 3	GWGeorge007	GPU Users Group
2 of 3	scarletdeath	Gridcoin
2 of 3	magic_sam	Gridcoin
2 of 3	jamescowens	Gridcoin
2 of 3	boinceyboincey6657	Gridcoin
2 of 3	belovachap	Gridcoin
2 of 3	EreignishorizontPlanet 3DNow!
2 of 3	Michael C	Rechenkraft.net
2 of 3	AsgardBeast	The Final Front Ear

1 of 3	Applejacks	[H]ard|OCP
1 of 3	Cruncher Pete	BOINC@AUSTRALIA
1 of 3	micropro	Gridcoin
1 of 3	Maverick-F1	Planet 3DNow!
1 of 3	fuzzydice555	TeAm AnandTech
1 of 3	mikey		The Final Front Ear
1 of 3	Vester		USA
1 of 3	Nick Name	USA

2 of 2	Weber462	Gridcoin
2 of 2	Duron		Planet 3DNow!
2 of 2	Tamagoch	Ukraine
2 of 2	ale4316		Ukraine

1 of 2	tlgalenson	GPU Users Group
1 of 2	Neurodog	TeAm AnandTech
1 of 2	boris1993	Team China

1 of 1	ComicalEng	BOINC Synergy
1 of 1	CallMeFoxie	Gridcoin
1 of 1	ceVoIX		Planet 3DNow!
1 of 1	Lotoot		Rechenkraft.net
1 of 1	Kyr		Rechenkraft.net
1 of 1	b-bone		TeAm AnandTech
1 of 1	Purple Rabbit	The Final Front Ear

==NON-PARTICPANTS BELOW==

0 of 5	pututu		[H]ard|OCP
0 of 5	planetclown	Crunching@EVGA
0 of 5	erde-m@Planet 3DNow!	Planet 3DNow!
0 of 5	Icecold		TeAm AnandTech
0 of 5	Endgame124	TeAm AnandTech
0 of 5	Scott Cox	The Knights Who Say Ni!
0 of 5	Dromage	Ukraine

0 of 4	jarda		Czech National Team
0 of 4	Dadu from Silesia	Czech National Team
0 of 4	pipin		Planet 3DNow!
0 of 4	Ken_g6		TeAm AnandTech
0 of 4	[VENETO]francesco.nandi	Ukraine

0 of 3	Paul_AMD	AMD Users
0 of 3	AlbertCZ	Czech National Team
0 of 3	joeybuddy96	Gridcoin
0 of 3	Jack75		Gridcoin
0 of 3	barton26	Gridcoin
0 of 3	Rekrut		Planet 3DNow!
0 of 3	re_SET		Ukraine

0 of 2	dannyridel	AMD Users
0 of 2	Mr. Kevvy	GPU Users Group
0 of 2	N0vas		Rechenkraft.net
0 of 2	Lassejulius	Rechenkraft.net
0 of 2	Bommer		Rechenkraft.net
0 of 2	voodoo5_6k	TeAm AnandTech
0 of 2	Bikthar		TeAm AnandTech
0 of 2	Pooh Bear 27	The Knights Who Say Ni!

0 of 1	Darren Li	----
0 of 1	michalrz	[H]ard|OCP
0 of 1	ecigator	Ecigator
0 of 1	bjstateson	GPU Users Group
0 of 1	Sinirlan	Gridcoin
0 of 1	PeakMars	Gridcoin
0 of 1	Inventatorul1	Gridcoin
0 of 1	Dodecahedron	Ukraine
0 of 1	badgerdash	Ukraine
So, you can see that some people just cannot be bothered with BG and yet quite a few have got involved.

regards
Tim
wbiz

Post by wbiz »

I was surprised BG even attempted to pay someone to write the project. The effort required in writing a specification probably far exceeds the effort in writing the code yourself, a lax specification and contracting out is always a road to disaster.

Producing something like BG or FB websites isn't complicated, the back-ends are just tedious long-winded database projects, a lot of planning can save a lot of work further down the line. There are probably libraries, frameworks etc which might help but I don't use or understand such things. For the few occasions I need a compliant front-end I do use a framework, the very simple w3.css, I hate doing front-ends and that really takes the sting out of it without a lot of learning.

I suspect BG has fallen into exactly the same problems that were moaned about on FB - you can please some of people etc etc

Putting your stats a different way ....

286 person-sprints happened
292 no-shows