I have begun to Fold

Various OTHER distributed computing projects, such as Folding@home, Dimes, Majestic-12, etc
djg2008
Active UBT Contributor

I have begun to Fold

Post by djg2008 »

I want to help make some breakthroughs for Alzheimer's Disease on my 3060 GPU
Folding@Home

BOINC
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: I have begun to Fold

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi djg

No worries :-)

And if you want to look at our team stats, click here:

https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/45392

regards
Tim
djg2008
Active UBT Contributor

Post by djg2008 »

Thanks. Yeah that site just confuses me as to why no BOINCStats or WUProp by Bypassing BOINC itself. It's just the thought my graphics card can help with Alzheimer's Disease really appeals to me right now. It's what my dad suffers with.
Folding@Home

BOINC
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

djg2008 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:11 am Thanks. Yeah that site just confuses me as to why no BOINCStats or WUProp by Bypassing BOINC itself.
Folding@home has NOTHING to do with BOINC - it is simply a different way of using the spare computing capability of your host PC for a good cause :-)
djg2008 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:11 am It's just the thought my graphics card can help with Alzheimer's Disease really appeals to me right now. It's what my dad suffers with.
The efforts that Folding@home is making in terms of researching various "ailments" is significant and so it is a worthwhile "distributed computing" project to be involved with. :-) So, keep on going, for as long as you want :-)

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman
TeAm AnandTech team member

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Folding@home is what got me interested in distributed computing. I ran that project when it first started and was a mod on their forum for around 10 years. In the beginning there was only CPU work to be done. You got 1 point for completing 1 task. Things have changed dramatically since then. Over the years they tried different clients. There was a Google client that ran in a browser. There was a client that ran on a Sony Playstation 3 with the Cell processor. There was an Android client. Then they worked with ATI to develop a GPU client. And they did attempt to integrate with BOINC because so many requested it. It proved to be to difficult. In the end they decided to just stick with their own client.

In other news you can now earn Gridcoin running F@H.
https://www.reddit.com/r/gridcoin/comme ... coin_from/

I've been earning Gridcoin on all the whitelisted BOINC projects.

wbiz
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Post by wbiz »

Wasn't Rosetta@home doing some of the Folding@home work in the last couple of years?
djg2008
Active UBT Contributor

Post by djg2008 »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:32 pm Folding@home is what got me interested in distributed computing. I ran that project when it first started and was a mod on their forum for around 10 years. In the beginning there was only CPU work to be done. You got 1 point for completing 1 task. Things have changed dramatically since then. Over the years they tried different clients. There was a Google client that ran in a browser. There was a client that ran on a Sony Playstation 3 with the Cell processor. There was an Android client. Then they worked with ATI to develop a GPU client. And they did attempt to integrate with BOINC because so many requested it. It proved to be to difficult. In the end they decided to just stick with their own client.

In other news you can now earn Gridcoin running F@H.
https://www.reddit.com/r/gridcoin/comme ... coin_from/

I've been earning Gridcoin on all the whitelisted BOINC projects.

I don't have a clue about all that kind of earning Bitcoin and that sort of thing. It looks far too complicated (and I joined the Gridcoin discord, but still - if I need to follow videos and run extra software and such, then I'm not so sure about it myself).
Folding@Home

BOINC
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

djg2008 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:25 pm I don't have a clue about all that kind of earning Bitcoin and that sort of thing. It looks far too complicated (and I joined the Gridcoin discord, but still - if I need to follow videos and run extra software and such, then I'm not so sure about it myself).
Hi

As far as I know, you earn Gridcoin (and NOT "Bitcoin") by simply crunching tasks on Folding@home and being registered to be rewarded with them.

So, IIRC, you have no need to run other software (other than the Folding@home app) or do much more than go through the registration process.
Quick Start Guide: Earning Gridcoin from Folding@home

After passing a network-wide poll, Folding@home has been added to the list of Gridcoin-incentivized projects!

This guide is mainly targeted at existing Gridcoin/BOINC crunchers who will be familiar with the terminology and already completed some steps I'm skipping over here. If you are new, go to this guide to get started. This assumes you already have BOINC installed and are solo crunching. Pool crunchers will need to switch to solo crunching.

Find your CPID. If you don't know it, go to the wallet under hamburger menu > settings > researcher wizard > projects.

1) Download the Folding@home client from https://foldingathome.org and start installation

2) When prompted, create a username with the format: friendlyname_GRC_CPID
Note:
2a) Friendlyname can be any name you want
2b) GRC must remain in the middle and be capitalized
2c) CPID should be your CPID (I think this is your BOINC CPID)

3) Not required but helps promote Gridcoin: enter team # 226804 (or users can enter "45392" in the client software to join the "UK BOINC Team" on "Folding at home", as you have already done :-) )

4) Setting up a passkey is optional but strongly suggested as you will get more F@H credit which means more GRC

That's it! You will start receiving rewards once you have completed some workunits. Note this process can take 2-3 days depending on scrapers, how long your first workunit takes, etc. If it takes longer than that, ask for help on our discord :).

But I'm sure Carl can give some pointers on this (If you do not mind, pretty please?)

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

That 1st link was aimed at people that already had their Gridcoin wallet set up. There was another link in that post to how to set up Gridcoin in the 1st place for people that aren't set up already: https://www.reddit.com/r/gridcoin/comme ... _faq_2022/

Basically to earn Gridcoin you need a Gridcoin wallet and a BOINC client installed and running all the time together on the same computer. I have it running on my laptop which is always on. Gridcoin gets your CPID and tracks all your other BOINC clients running on different computers. It may seem a little confusing to set up but once done there's not much to do but keep the wallet and BOINC client running. There's solo earning which I do and recommend or you can join a pool. Solo earning requires a certain amount of Gridcoin as a stake to get you started.

Here's a direct link to the Gridcoin site: https://gridcoin.us/#GridcoinWallet

There are setup guides there as well.

I'm signed up at southexchange.com to sell and convert my earned Gridcoin into Bitcoin.
djg2008
Active UBT Contributor

Post by djg2008 »

Sorry just don't trust it. I even gave it the benefit of the doubt by installing it, but it's gone now and won't be coming back. I just don't feel it is legit. I wish to simply be Crunching for science instead. As it was in the beginning.
Folding@Home

BOINC
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

As a solo cruncher on Gridcoin I'm currently earning about $5/day just from running BOINC projects that are whitelisted on Gridcoin. That's over $150/month at todays low crypto prices. It has no effect on running my BOINC projects at all. I've been doing this for years with no issues. I could earn more if I only did whitelisted projects but I do the projects I want to whether or not they will earn me some Gridcoin. I'm running a lot of computers right now so it's worth it for me.
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

This is what my SouthXchange account has in it right now after moving Gridcoin from my wallet to SouthXchange last November.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.