Challenge 2nd December NumberFields@home Subfields 3/7

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
djg2008
Active UBT Contributor

Challenge 2nd December NumberFields@home Subfields 3/7

Post by djg2008 »

https://www.boincstats.com/stats/challe ... /chat/1108

I will be participating. I have recently purchased credit with The Science Cloud which I found out via PrimeGrid project/discord. This allows me to afford premium server resources per hourly cost. I will be using over $140 of credit for the NumFields challenge above (along with both of my own CPUs/GPUs at home with me). I see our team is participating it says in the list; so I look forward to raising the stakes and seeing how we rank after the 9th December.

I couldn't seem to find this topic anywhere else on the forum, so I thought I would take a punt and post it, in case no one was aware.
Folding@Home

BOINC
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Re: Challenge 2nd December NumberFields@home Subfields 3/7

Post by Jeffers »

I've re-attached to this project. I have run it before but it's been quite a while.
djg2008
Active UBT Contributor

Post by djg2008 »

I have in fact bookmarked the link I posted above, primarily because it has a "countdown timer" on the challenge at the bottom. It is a challenge initiated by Colombia, but I have seen very little on it anywhere. I found Decic fields was not great credit/task, hence I stopped just short of 2M. I only intend to return to try and help the team place well in this challenge. The last challenge I even attempted was the Reimman's Birthday Challenge back in September. Now I am pressing to reach Double Bronze in WW before it finishes and trying to get it to 10k hrs in WUprop. Both should be achievable before the NFS@home challenge starts (91M/100M & 9300/10000 hrs so far). I used some droplets to make sure I would definitely reach my target, and now I can save the droplets for the challenge.
Folding@Home

BOINC
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

djg2008 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:52 pm https://www.boincstats.com/stats/challe ... /chat/1108

I see our team is participating it says in the list; so I look forward to raising the stakes and seeing how we rank after the 9th December.

I couldn't seem to find this topic anywhere else on the forum, so I thought I would take a punt and post it, in case no one was aware.
Hi djg

UBT is always participating (as a named Team) in all of the BOINC stats Challenges, as I asked Willy (the BOINC stats admin) to include UBT in every Challenge...which saves me the hassle of keeping tabs on when these Challenges start and end.

So, for the astute amongst us, just visit here:

https://www.boincstats.com/stats/challe ... m/overview

and you can then see which Challenges are "upcoming".

regards
Tim
djg2008
Active UBT Contributor

Post by djg2008 »

That is a useful tip! Thanks.
Folding@Home

BOINC
djg2008
Active UBT Contributor

Post by djg2008 »

That guy in 1st on TSBT is literally pulling 2.25 million a day. I can't compete to that.

I started about an hour late and it should continue at the rate I have pulled. Should be about 345,000/day.
Folding@Home

BOINC
stephenhunter
Active UBT Contributor

Post by stephenhunter »

I had no idea about this, well spotted. Pretty poor at NumberField, but I can help a little
djg2008
Active UBT Contributor

Post by djg2008 »

I found disabling CPU entirely helps. Letting the GPUs run NumFields exclusively seems to speed things along more than including CPUs.
Folding@Home

BOINC
stephenhunter
Active UBT Contributor

Post by stephenhunter »

My GPU just about manages to refresh my screen! Keep meaning to buy a new one, but something else always seems to get priority At the moment it's a moot point, as I'm not getting any NumberField tasks. There are tasks to send, there just not getting to me :tap:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

The member stats (after 3 days and 6 hours of crunching) for this Challenge are here:

https://www.boincstats.com/stats/challe ... redits/0/0

and for UBT the following are contributing:

(Top 10 users shown, plus UBT members outside the Top 10):

Code: Select all

Username		Team Name		Rank	Total credit
PecosRiverM		The Scottish Boinc Team	1	7,661,610
Cruncher Pete		BOINC@AUSTRALIA		2	3,711,840
Chooka			BOINC@AUSTRALIA		3	2,016,960
djg2008			UK BOINC Team		4	1,315,710
AXm77			BOINC@Poland		5	1,213,740
davidBAM		The Scottish Boinc Team	6	1,159,950
NudgeyNR		BOINC@AUSTRALIA		7	721,710
Herby44			Planet 3DNow!		8	718,080
Megacruncher TSBT	The Scottish Boinc Team	9	652,080
New user		New user		10	606,210
UBT - Timbo		UK BOINC Team		24	187,770
Stephen Hunter		UK BOINC Team		36	79,860
paul			UK BOINC Team		68	18,150
Gordon Lack		UK BOINC Team		99	4,290
Michael			UK BOINC Team		100	4,290
There's still 3 days and 18 hours to go, so plenty of time for members to get involved with this NumberFields challenge ;-)

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

This Challenge has now ended and the final placings can be found here:

https://www.boincstats.com/stats/challe ... redits/0/0

The UBT contingent did OK-ish, although djg2008 should be congratulated for finishing in 3rd place (overall) out of 153 participants.

Code: Select all

Username		Team Name		Rank	Total credit
PecosRiverM		The Scottish Boinc Team	1	16,933,620
Cruncher Pete		BOINC@AUSTRALIA		2	5,553,900
djg2008			UK BOINC Team		3	4,514,400 (+1 place)
AXm77			BOINC@Poland		4	3,431,010 (+1 place)
Chooka			BOINC@AUSTRALIA		5	3,057,450 (-2 places)
Herby44			Planet 3DNow!		6	2,279,310 (+2 places)	
davidBAM		The Scottish Boinc Team	7	2,030,490 (-1 place)	
NudgeyNR		BOINC@AUSTRALIA		8	1,585,980 (-1 place)	
apohawk			BOINC@Poland		9	1,387,650
Megacruncher TSBT	The Scottish Boinc Team	10	1,342,770 (-1 place)	
UBT - Timbo		UK BOINC Team		27	442,200 (-3 places)		
Stephen Hunter		UK BOINC Team		32	275,550 (+4 places)		
paul			UK BOINC Team		58	73,260 (+10 places)	
Michael			UK BOINC Team		69	58,410 (+31 places)	
Gordon Lack		UK BOINC Team		94	15,510 (+5 places)		
So, well done to those who contributed...and sadly I was the only UBT member who actually dropped places over the last 3 days :-(

regards
Tim
djg2008
Active UBT Contributor

Post by djg2008 »

It was a team effort, and one I am glad to have been a part of!

Hopefully this inspires a few new recruits to come on board after seeing we placed quite well overall!!

I had fun, and glad we finished 4th of 17th as a team. It was exciting, but expensive. I put $400 into my thescience.cloud account since the beginning of the month to get as much crunching as I could possibly get on the go.

I started the challenge (almost a clear hour Late too I might add!) on the 2nd with 8 T4 gpus plus my own two (no cpu tasks almost the whole challenge). Then by the second day, I rented another 8 to make 16xT4 gpus. That kept me in 4th, I've been watching every day intently.

Then yesterday morning (early hours on the 9th) with about 10 hours left, I went from 16 -> 52 T4 GPUs running. I finished up with about just over 11,000 tasks completed across all computers during the window of the challenge. After renting the last 36 T4s, I also decided to run CPU tasks additionally on the Ryzen (I wanted to see how much Decic's WUProp would be boosted in the final hours - and I was surprised to discover it pushes it a Great Deal with 12 tasks/12 cores).

I've gone off GFN I am sorry to say, which is why I am not participating in the final series challenge, sorry! They killed it for me with the primality testing changes in the new version of Genefer application recently pushed. Now it seems I can not raise a lot of credit in GFN unless I go to 20, and even then it is mix-and-match. Also my I5 cannot validate about half of all the GPU tasks (16, 17 Mega, 18) because of some error on that system. I preferred the old GFN for some reason.

Now I shall stick with NumFields for a little while longer (mainly for WUProp hours data, 1 more Decic 9/10 for badge, and to push towards 10M credit) on my AMD Ryzen (12 CPU tasks @ 1 per thread, and 1 GPU task also).

After that, back to LHC. My phone cpu threads and the I5's gpu can keep on handling Einstein@home, which is cool.
Folding@Home

BOINC
stephenhunter
Active UBT Contributor

Post by stephenhunter »

Nice one mate, superb effort. 3rd overall is a great achievement :clap:

Sorry I couldn't help out more, but I did my best (although I pulled it a day early, because I got the dates wrong!)

Should catch you next year when I get a 4090 :lol:
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

I was running this project throughout the challenge but I didn't appear in the rankings?
Or was there an opt-in that I missed?
ChelseaOilman
TeAm AnandTech team member

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Jeffers wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:47 pm I was running this project throughout the challenge but I didn't appear in the rankings?
This is one of those projects that you need to consent to having your data/stats exported. Did you do that?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Jeffers wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:47 pm I was running this project throughout the challenge but I didn't appear in the rankings?
Hi Jeff,

As Carl mentions, I think you need to give permission to the NumberFIelds project, to actually export your stats data.

And looking at your BOINCstats graphic in your "footer", "NmbrField" is not listed...so you need to log in to their website:

https://numberfields.asu.edu/NumberFields/

And once in your account, go to "Preferences for this project" and click on the link there and then click on "Edit Preferences" and where you see a section that says "Do you consent to exporting your data to BOINC statistics aggregation Web sites?" - ensure this is "ticked" to "allow" and then click on "Update your preferences" and your stats can then be exported.

regards
Tim
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:18 pm
This is one of those projects that you need to consent to having your data/stats exported. Did you do that?
I'd missed that one, done it now....
djg2008
Active UBT Contributor

Post by djg2008 »

stephenhunter wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:49 pm Nice one mate, superb effort. 3rd overall is a great achievement :clap:

Sorry I couldn't help out more, but I did my best (although I pulled it a day early, because I got the dates wrong!)

Should catch you next year when I get a 4090 :lol:
Haha, it probably wouldn't be hard to beat me soon enough! I find I am dedicating my time to BOINC now, and micromanaging 3 systems whenever I check in (regularly but at any / all hours free). It is my systems that let me down some though.

I wouldn't really have a clue building a computer like, I need to add 2 16GB sticks of Hyperx DDR4 RAM into the Ryzen.

A system like a 4090 would be amazing but likely out of my price range sadly. Cloud droplets are expensive but good for challenges. I wouldn't know where to begin building a really grand spec system. The thought terrifies me of wrecking components that are really dear and costly to replace - even more terrifying is the prospect of running Linux on it.

Thanks for the msg, it did feel like a great achievement!
Folding@Home

BOINC