Gaia@home

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
ChelseaOilman
TeAm AnandTech team member

Gaia@home

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Anyone know anything about this project being developed?

http://gaiaathome.eu/gaiaathome/
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Gaia@home

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Carl

Interesting :D and nice find :-)

Looks like a really good "science-y" type project. ;-)

Shame it only seems to support Linux applications at present...and it seems most teams so far have ZERO credits, so I wonder when they will actually start issuing tasks?

If anyone wants to join this project, here's the URL to add to BOINC Manager:

Code: Select all

http://150.254.66.104/gaiaathome

Looks like we already have a team set up as well !!

http://150.254.66.104/gaiaathome/team_d ... ?teamid=70

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

You guys really need to get out more. It was mentioned in Discord. Never know what you might find there.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:38 am You guys really need to get out more. It was mentioned in Discord. Never know what you might find there.
Well, "getting out more" is a bit of an issue right now ;-) you know - Covid-19?, Pandemic?, just basic stuff...

Seriously though, Discord has a lot going for it in many ways...but it's "user interface" is quite (IMHO) overwhelming and a bit intimidating...so, unless you keep an eye on it, most of the time, lots of stuff will just scroll by...

So, it's bit tricky to find stuff, unless you just happen to be online at a time when a discussion takes place.

I have taken a look at the BOINCNetwork group and sure enough it does have specific sections for "news" and "announcements" but unless something is "flagged up" or you know a keyword that is used for a specific thing, then you can't find it easily.

I did do a seach for "gaia" and I saw just two messages. I did another for "new project" and a few messages were listed - but it's difficult to scroll down the list as the right hand side "scroll bar" is a little bit darker than the overall background - so you can barely see it...and it's even harder to control.

Maybe someone at Discord needs to use the website a bit more and make it a bit more "user friendly" ?

(Just my 2c)....

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

I have the Discord app running all the time on my laptop. Just sits in the system tray. It makes a notification sound when people are posting. I just check to see if something interesting is being discussed. I'm currently subscribed to 10 different channels.

Does Discord default to the dark theme? You can switch to the light theme if you prefer that.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:11 pm I have the Discord app running all the time on my laptop. Just sits in the system tray. It makes a notification sound when people are posting. I just check to see if something interesting is being discussed. I'm currently subscribed to 10 different channels.
Hi Carl

Fair enough - I work from 2 different locations and using 4 different computers (3x PCs plus a mobile phone)...so, I don't have the luxury of being in one place and "using" one device all the time.
ChelseaOilman wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:11 pm Does Discord default to the dark theme? You can switch to the light theme if you prefer that.
Aha :-) I didn't know this was available..so, I've now set the "appearance" to "light" theme....much better. Thanks :-) (As you can tell, I'm still trying to figure out how this website works...and some of it is still "over my head" in terms of functions and settings).

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

I have the Discord app on my phone as well but only use it on my phone to post pictures from my phone to Discord. The pictures I can't post here because they're always too big.
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Gaia@home is sending out tasks now. Tasks only run a few seconds. This is not a good project for my currently shitty internet. I've done thousands of these tiny tasks so far and none have been validated yet so I have no clue what the credits will be.
State: All (5588) · In progress (397) · Validation pending (5123) · Validation inconclusive (0) · Valid (0) · Invalid (0) · Error (68)
Application: All (5588) · 20_Gaia@home (0) · 21_Gaia@home (0) · 22_Gaia@home (0) · 23_Gaia@home (0) · 24_Gaia@home (5588)
Last edited by ChelseaOilman on Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

I hate this project already. It literally takes longer to download/upload the tasks than it takes to run them. I don't know what these guys running the project are smoking but I want some. :banghead:
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Maybe these are just test tasks to see if the server can hold up. This has to be hammering the server quite a bit.
State: All (18821) · In progress (514) · Validation pending (16932) · Validation inconclusive (0) · Valid (0) · Invalid (0) · Error (1375)
Application: All (18821) · 20_Gaia@home (0) · 21_Gaia@home (0) · 22_Gaia@home (0) · 23_Gaia@home (0) · 24_Gaia@home (18821)
That's just since this morning for me, 5 hours.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

Not been able to get any! IIRC when a project started (in the old days at least) they used to test server and resilience by sending very short dummy tasks for maybe a few weeks before dropping usable tasks. Perhaps this what's happening now?

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Like this?
State: All (29821) · In progress (399) · Validation pending (27386) · Validation inconclusive (0) · Valid (0) · Invalid (0) · Error (2036)
Application: All (29821) · 20_Gaia@home (0) · 21_Gaia@home (0) · 22_Gaia@home (0) · 23_Gaia@home (0) · 24_Gaia@home (29821)
Currently there's only Linux tasks.
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Someone from the project just confirmed these are test tasks for the server.

FYI, I did get WUProp hours for my effort so far. 24_Gaia@home 60.67
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Starting to get tiny credit for the tiny tasks I did. Average 0.02 credits each. I have a total of 9 points so far.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:09 pm Like this?
State: All (29821) · In progress (399) · Validation pending (27386) · Validation inconclusive (0) · Valid (0) · Invalid (0) · Error (2036)
Application: All (29821) · 20_Gaia@home (0) · 21_Gaia@home (0) · 22_Gaia@home (0) · 23_Gaia@home (0) · 24_Gaia@home (29821)
Currently there's only Linux tasks.
HI Carl

I'll have to wait for a bit before I can earn such HIGH credits on Gaia !!

BOINC Manager on my 32-core Xeon wasn't working with Linux and today was the first time for me back in the office (where it lives) and I re-connected my Windows HDD and it won't boot !! It had been shutdown safely and then the original Windows HDD was disconnected and another HDD was fitted, onto which Linux Mint had been installed - so I could take part in the Wanless Sprint.

It had been running fine until a rogue power "brown out" occured and the Linux-running host somehow screwed up its BOINC Manager installation (though BOINC itself was still running and it eventually ran out of work - but I couldn't then get BOINC to download any other tasks).

I had hoped to be able to re-start crunching via the Windows HDD but on booting, it claimed that Windows had to be "repaired" and it failed to do that.

Sometimes computers can be right pains in the a$$ !!

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Hopefully the brown out didn't cause any damage to the computer.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:55 am Hopefully the brown out didn't cause any damage to the computer.
HI Carl

Me too !!

I had another of these Intel-made, 32-core Xeon mobo's and I had to move the PC to a different place at work, so I powered it down, moved it and it wouldn't then fire back up...sent an email to the supplying company (in USA) and the only help I got back from them was that "Corsair PSUs are not recommended for this type of mobo"....and that was it...no RMA number, no other help. Zilch. Nada.

So, having already populated it with 2x Xeon CPU's, 64 Gb of server-class RAM and an Extended-ATX chassis, it was put aside and then by chance another of the same type mobos was onsale from a reseller in UK, at a very cheap price, so I got it and then swapped mobo's. And it's been working fine every since...until last weekend when I found I couldn't log in remotely. :-(

So, I'm hopeful I can just re-install Windows on it - as it's not used for anything else, just crunching....so a quick format of the HDD and a re-install should do it. (fingers crossed).

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:55 am Hopefully the brown out didn't cause any damage to the computer.
Hi Carl

Well, that was "fun"...about 90 mins of installing, waiting, and downloading "stuff"...

I re-installed Win 7 Pro on the Xeon and without any prompting, it (Windows) wiped out everything from the HDD (so NO opportunity to repair the previous installation and no prompting with "are you sure you want to..."), installed the same version as was there before and of course I then had to go about installing all the mobo drivers (networking and USB ports, etc) as well as Firefox, NVidia drivers, BOINC Manager (latest Windoze version) and Anydesk (for remote access).

And then added a small number of projects URLs into BM.

But it's all working fine now on both CPU and GPU tasks :-).

Might have to look at putting Linux Mint on another PC as and when a suitable project (such as Gaia) might need some extra crunching on Linux tasks ;-)

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

The real question is, why didn't Win7 just work when you plugged the drive back in?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:13 pm The real question is, why didn't Win7 just work when you plugged the drive back in?
HI Carl

I have absolutely no idea at all... :-( One of lifes little mysteries I guess.

I could just blame :techie-hal: but in the real world, it could just be randomness and/or one (or more) driver files became corrupted (on the HDD) at some point and it took a reboot for them to surface...as usually such mobo driver files stay in memory and are only freshly reloaded into RAM following a reboot. So, while the PC is on (and it was on 24/7 for some time...weeks in fact), the files are OK, but the originals on the HDD had become damaged and were not 100%.

But it's working OK now and apart from the time factor to re-install, it's not been a massive issue (such as having to re-load lots of apps or restore lots of data files).

And BOINC didn't lose any original tasks when I pulled the HDD riginally, as I'd let the PC run them all down and report them before swapping to a Linux boot drive (and disconnecting the Windows HDD).

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

If you have a Linux host, and you want some new CPU tasks, then Gaia@home has some available :-)

(PS No Windows tasks available at present).

Check here:

http://150.254.66.104/gaiaathome/server_status.php

And here is the project URL to add it to BOINC Manager:

Code: Select all

http://150.254.66.104/gaiaathome
regards
Tim