Hi everyone :)

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
Random Daz
UBT Contributor

Hi everyone :)

Post by Random Daz »

Hi,

Just introducing myself :)

Darren
ChelseaOilman
TeAm AnandTech team member

Re: Hi everyone :)

Post by ChelseaOilman »

I see you made it. Welcome to UBT!
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

Another got past security! Welcome to the team.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

damienh
UBT Contributor

Post by damienh »

Hi Darren,

Welcome aboard! Where are you based? Mind you, our last member joined from Texas, so that’s going to be hard to beat :)
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Darren,

Another new face, welcome to the team.

Mark
UBT - PennyQ
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - PennyQ »

A hearty welcome! Everyone here is friendly and helpful, so if you have any questions, there will always be someone who can give some sort of an answer.
Penny
The impossible we do today; miracles take a little longer

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

DarrenSteer wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:19 pm Hi,

Just introducing myself :)

Darren
Hi Darren

Well done - you passed the initiative test...!! :oops:

Welcome on-board and hope you enjoy your membership.

Any questions, feel free to ask. 8)

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikee wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:35 pm Hi

Another got past security! Welcome to the team.

Mike
Hi Mike

Y'know I've tried to make it as hard as possible for people to join the forum, but despite all of this, they still find a way and want to sign up !! ;)

And while I left the "door open" (on the security measures) yesterday morning, so that Darren could join, I had a brief surge in spambot registrations...so, it appears that spambots are trying to register 24/7 - which doesn't surprise me. :-(

But since Darren signed up, the door was closed again (yesterday afternoon) and since then just ONE spambot has tried to register. So, the security measures do work but I accept that it does make it harder for real crunchers to join.

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Ah but how much crunching power do these Spambots have? Could we sign them up and turn them to the dark side? :lol:
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Guess Darren doesn't want to talk to us. Does he crunch BOINC tasks?
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:53 pm Guess Darren doesn't want to talk to us. Does he crunch BOINC tasks?
Yes he does - https://www.boincstats.com/stats/-1/use ... rojectList

Maybe he's shy? :lol:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:37 pm Ah but how much crunching power do these Spambots have? Could we sign them up and turn them to the dark side? :lol:
Hi Mark

Unless we can install a nice script on the forum that downloads onto new members computers and which then installs BOINC and a few non-intrusive projects in the background, then there's little chance we can use their additional crunching capability (mores the pity !!).

Plus we might accidentally "infect" lots of PCs and then become the target of GCHQ/MI5/NSA/CIA etc :oops:

And I doubt we really want that !

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

I think it's safe to say the only reason this person joined the team was because your team is whitelisted for Gridcoin. He was very active on the boinc-radio section of the Discord boinc channel tonight and I see him in the Discord Gridcoin channel as well. TBH it's part of the reason I joined this team as well but I'm more interested in boinc than Gridcoin. Gridcoin is just a diversion for me.
Random Daz
UBT Contributor

Post by Random Daz »

Hi again,

And sorry I live quite a hectic life - and yes I use gridcoin but that's defo not the only reason I joined the team :)

I changed from gridcoin team to a whitelisted one - but also a whitelisted one that suits where I'm from and has a helpful forum and stuff about just Boinc stuff. I know I'm terrible at replying for ages - I hadn't actually logged in here for a while.

Also as a side note the team requirement has now been removed anyway, but I still had to put some thought into what team I wanted to join :P

I love science mainly - I found gridcoin through Boinc as I started crunching again after not for a long time - my project before this was Seti which I'm sure a lot of yours was too lol :)

And I'm from London, UK - which was the real reason I joined and because I love science :)

Hope you have all been ok.

Darren
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi again Darren,

Nice to hear from you again...

Life can be hectic (speaking from experience) so, don't worry if you need to do "other stuff" as BOINC is still just a nice hobby...and as you say, it's useful for the science too, so some good comes from it, unlike some other hobbies....y'know like beer mat collecting, or train spotting ;-)

Talking of Gridcoin, yesterday was actually the very first day I received a "reward" from GRC...it wasn't much - about 48 GRC - but it's nice to know that some benefit was received after having crunched many different "whitelisted" projects - and of course that the Team is also "whitelisted" and hence members can receive such payments. :-)

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Darren,

Don't worry about it, we've had people join the team and be members for years and not post once! :)

Mark
Random Daz
UBT Contributor

Post by Random Daz »

lol oh well there you go then - I'm somehow already doing better than some that never posted once haha.

And with the new release of gridcoin - there is no whitelisted or blacklisted (or grey listed for that matter) teams at all anymore lol... The team requirement has been completely removed now :)

Not to mention some other really nice improvements and features - which might explain your reward :)

Sorry to sound like an ad - i promise I'm not - just liking the new stuff i guess lol.

Darren
Random Daz
UBT Contributor

Post by Random Daz »

Also I wanted to change my forum name to Random Daz as that's what I am going to change it to on Boinc projects as well etc...

I did try to PM an admin but I can't PM at the moment as I'm still a new user lol.

Could an admin help me out with the name change if possible? :)

Thank you if you can.

Darren
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

DarrenSteer wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:32 pm Also I wanted to change my forum name to Random Daz as that's what I am going to change it to on Boinc projects as well etc...

I did try to PM an admin but I can't PM at the moment as I'm still a new user lol.

Could an admin help me out with the name change if possible? :)

Thank you if you can.

Darren
HI Darren

Name changing is my remit...so I'm happy to do this for you...and as you've now posted 5 times, you've now qualified to have your forum membership upgraded, after which I'll ping you a PM so as to sort out he name change.

regards
Tim
damienh
UBT Contributor

Post by damienh »

Hi Darren,

Welcome back. Good to have another Londoner :)

I've not tried the gridcoin integration. Perhaps it is worth another look ... so maybe the (not) ad worked?
Random Daz
UBT Contributor

Post by Random Daz »

Thank you Tim,

And also hehe damienh lol :)

Darren