SwissNic has re-entered the building...

Section supporting all the various Climate Change projects: CPDN, CPDN Beta, Quake Catcher.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

SwissNic has re-entered the building...

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Just a quickie...
Seems SwissNic is back crunching again....:wav: now there's some more SAP WU's to crunch... 8)

TBH, I was getting worried he'd gone away...!

Welcome back Nic...

regards

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

I hope you're right, but I think he set up BOINC on a friends machine, perhaps in service mode.  Now that work is available again, I think the machine is crunching, perhaps without the owner being bothered.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - JohnR wrote:I hope you're right, but I think he set up BOINC on a friends machine, perhaps in service mode.  Now that work is available again, I think the machine is crunching, perhaps without the owner being bothered.
Shame we can't tell, as he's hidden his computers from public view....!

Wonder what's happened to him then...?

regards

Tim
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

I can't help I'm afraid. I was talking to him in September by messages in the forum, but they stopped without reason. I did send a couple in Sepember & October without answer :cry: .
I do miss our SAP Cheerleader and his contest with Gregory, it was fun. :cry:
gregoryw
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by gregoryw »

I enjoyed the competition and the little bit of banter as well.

SwissNic, if you're reading this, why not make a posting here again?
gregoryw
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by gregoryw »

PS, I'd resume the competition, but this time against JohnR, but know that I'd lose this time. (I have one more SAP-capable machine, but don't want to include that on the project, because then I'll exceed the reporting deadline for several WUs on the main CPDN project by quite a bit.)
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

I can see the final places in SAP being Boinc Synergy 1 and 2 and UBT 3,4 and 5, and I'm not bothered in what order.
The only problem I can see at this time is Dandelion.  He has (I think) 8 or more Celerons all full with about 9 wu's each and he will keep down loading more.  When the last wu is sent he will continue crunching for months to come as he did in December.  That will take him past TheParkinPig, but wmjekag is safe as he always has a full stock and also crunched when most people were out of work.
The reporting deadlines in CPDN only matters to our computers, CPDN will accept results after the deadline.  As a matter of fact I started crunching because of the BBC programs last March and uploaded my first completed model after several failures last Monday. :D
I have another BBC wu due in April and a CPDN wu on the same computer that is over 60% completed. I think I'll do those 1 at a time and prioritise SAP on the other core and my other computers. This will maximise my credits while there is work to download, then with a full cache try to hold my place from Dandelion who has done over 5000 credits a day.
SAP are waiting for the results of the project extension and the quicker we can send in results the better.
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

If you do put a CPDN or BBC model on standby (which is fine, don't worry about the deadline), let it run for a day or so every couple of months.  Or just give it 2% share + keep in memory.  The servers need to know it's still going, and a single trickle will be enough to do that.

My personal target for this extension is to have successfully completed at least 1% of all models myself.   I missed it last time by a very small margin (38 models completed by me, 3855 for everyone, = 0.986% :-( ).  Don't care where I come in the rankings, although 10th is a nice round number I wouldn't object to keeping!

Perhaps Temujin/TheParkingPig may want to run a few models again himself, I'm sure Pardeep would be happy :-)
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

MikeMarsUK wrote:Perhaps Temujin/TheParkingPig may want to run a few models again himself, I'm sure Pardeep would be happy :-)
Nope, I'm all done & dusted with SAP I'm afraid.
Its full speed ahead with Seti for me.

PS
and its Parkin not Parking, dya think I can't drive or summat  :D
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

If you wish to see some fast hardware, then look at Hassan's computers. 4 computers with 16 cores, the 2 x 2 core machines have the fastest times to complete wu's I have ever seen.  But their RAC will be less than the 4 core and the 8 core computers.  In a couple of weeks I expect to see them as the top 4 computers. :cry:

But the results will soon be pouring in :)