Mini-Crunch 19th - 21st Jan 2007

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Halifax-lad

Mini-Crunch 19th - 21st Jan 2007

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Right well the voting for the team crunch is due to come to a end Saturday 13th January.

The project to be crunched looks like it will be Einstein@Home if Einstein is down at the time then the back-up project will be the next one down the list so at the moment SETI Beta/Astropulse.

The crunch is due to start 19th January and will end 21st January.

The aim is just to pull in as many credits as we possibly can do as a team for Einstein@Home or the next available project if Einstein is off-line.

All team members need to do is suspend all other projects to stop the WU's from been processed and allow Einstein full access to BOINC for the crunch.

Simple as that (hope thats OK for all :?: )
Last edited by UBT - Halifax-lad on Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Re: January Mini-Crunch 19th - 21st Jan 2007

Post by UBT - bobuk »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Right well the voting for the team crunch is due to come to a end Saturday 13th January.

The project to be crunched looks like it will be Einstein@Home if Einstein is down at the time then the back-up project will be the next one down the list so at the moment SETI Beta/Astropulse.

The crunch is due to start 19th January and will end 21st January.

The aim is just to pull in as many credits as we possibly can do as a team for Einstein@Home or the next available project if Einstein is off-line.

All team members need to do is suspend all other projects to stop the WU's from been processed and allow Einstein full access to BOINC for the crunch.

Simple as that (hope thats OK for all :?: )
100% gotcha loud and clear..... :D

b.
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Already running cache down in preperation for the start... .. . :!:
Einstein is one of my favorite projects, so I hope its this one.
Don't have Seti on my system (shock, horror) :shock:
Suppose I could put it on, but would prefer that I don't
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - The Prof.... wrote:Already running cache down in preperation for the start... .. . :!:
Einstein is one of my favorite projects, so I hope its this one.
Don't have Seti on my system (shock, horror) :shock:
Suppose I could put it on, but would prefer that I don't
It's not a problem.....

And it's the SETI Beta/Astropulse project, not the main SETI@home project....and the aim of the Crunch is simply to catch up with teams ahead of us.....and to use the resource of lots of members to generate some "Team spirit", to leap up the rankings and put us in a better position.

Oh, and to help the project of course...!

If Einstein is down and no work is available, (and you're not keen on SETI) just crunch for your preferred projects, as you would normally.

regards

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: January Mini-Crunch 19th - 21st Jan 2007

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:All team members need to do is suspend all other projects to stop the WU's from been processed and allow Einstein full access to BOINC for the crunch.
I would just add the following:

If you are suspending any WU's (for other projects) only suspend those that have a completion date AFTER the crunch is finished. No point suspending WU's where the completion date is BEFORE or DURING the Crunch, as you'll lose any credit if it gets uploaded after it's completion date....!

And if you want to start crunching for Einstein early, you can...and likewise, you don't have to stop when the crunch officially finishes.

All crunches start at midnight and end at midnight - in this case, the Crunch is from Friday 19th at midnight, until Sunday 21st at midnight. This gives us a total of 48 hours.

regards

Tim
Naon

Mini Crunch

Post by Naon »

Well glad you said that because i have already done that without checking team forum. (sorry)

I checked the status of Einstein's server page and found that there was only 6% WU remaining.

So i am trying to gain more credit's with Einstein, due to CP taking all of my time.

Hope it is OK because i have started ...1 ..2 .3 .. GO

(Ps.... think i am going to try a get a score board like what all you have)

(Pps.... how do i do that please PM me)

(Thats better)
Last edited by Naon on Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Mini Crunch

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Naon wrote: (Ps.... think i am going to try a get a score board like what all you have)

(Pps.... how do i do that please PM me)
What sort of scoreboard?

If you mean the User of the Day, then it's easy....

The code is this:

Code: Select all

http://myboinc.com/sigUOTD.php/cpid:0e748ca75bf3cb48ae14f70e18aa17fb/.png
except that for YOUR Stats, you replace the bit from: 0e748.....17fb

with your own CPID

But you have TWO CPID's, which I found are these:

d00d935030f6be1458e3f822f686f7e5
and
38f90446f675142ce697c8d349f7921a

(look here: http://www.boincsynergy.com/stats/index ... earchteam= )

and if you click on the small purple image in the 4th column you will see your profile - some of these need to be edited as they are wrong - you don't need to include the "http://" in the team link - which is why it appears twice - and SETI and Rosetta don't have images.....!)

(Also - Make sure ALL your projects use the SAME email address so that all your projects combine....)

So, YOUR code is:

Code: Select all

http://myboinc.com/sigUOTD.php/cpid:d00d935030f6be1458e3f822f686f7e5/.png
So your image should look like this:

If you don't have any UOTD day awards yet, then you need to ensure each of your products has a profile entered into every project account you have AND you must add a nice image to go with it....then you have a chance to get a UOTD award...!

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

If you are wanting a signiture to show all the BOINC credits then go here  http://signature.ukboincteam.com/
Gary

Post by Gary »

Are we having 2 Einstein crunches ? as its says up top starting tonight.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Gary wrote:Are we having 2 Einstein crunches ? as its says up top starting tonight.
No its that daft Tim he must have got his wires crossed :lol:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Gary wrote:Are we having 2 Einstein crunches ? as its says up top starting tonight.
Whoops... :oops:

Got THAT wrong didn't I.....that''s the trouble, travelling around in a Tardis - you never know what day it is....!

And I thought I only had a drink problem  :wink:

regards

Tim

(On re-reading the thread, it's coz I saw the 13th Jan date from Halifax - this was the END of the voting, not the START of the Crunch  :oops: )
UBT - Halifax-lad

Don't forget 5 days to go so start working your caches of WU's down now if you have any non-Einstein WU's on BOINC, that way you can get more Einstein WU's done during the crunch

URL for Einstein http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/

Just in case Einstein goes wrong SETI BETA / Astropulse came as runner up URL is http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/beta/

And in the event that is down then just choose a project you think needs some help.
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Already ruunning virtually nothing but Einstein, wu's going along nicely.
Only other thing running now is chess960 as wu's so short. 8)
Naon

Grid repuvlic

Post by Naon »

I would like to do others after this.

What will be the next target ...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Grid repuvlic

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Naon wrote:I would like to do others after this.

What will be the next target ...
I like the enthusiasm.....! Excellent... 8)

The next official Crunch will be sometime late in February.

The actual project that will be the beneficiary, has yet to be decided upon - we usually have a vote and the project that has the most votes, will be chosen (and assuming the project is online and the WU's are short enough...!)

And in the meantime, you could always join the "UBT Sneaky Club" - use the search button above to find this phrase elsewhere on the forum... :wink:

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Re: Grid repuvlic

UBT - Timbo wrote: The next official Crunch will be sometime late in February.

The actual project that will be the beneficiary, has yet to be decided upon
Depends if the gauntlet is running that month :?:
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

I'd like to participate in the mini crunch but have been unable to hook up with  Einstien so I'm assuming it's down at the moment, if so when will it be announced that it will be seti?

Also, I've just set up boinc on my newly rebuilt system with a Prescott 3.0 with HT, I just added Seti@home to it just to check all is ok and it is running 2 instances of seti, but on checking Task manager both instances are just running on one half of the cpu.

My question is, do I need to install another copy of Boinc to another folder to use the other half? as I would like to suspend Folding@home and use all available cycles for the mini crunch.

BTW, I know the second choice is the seti beta and not seti@home and will sign up for it once I get this sorted.

Many thanks

Gary
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Rockinfroggi wrote:Also, I've just set up boinc on my newly rebuilt system with a Prescott 3.0 with HT, I just added Seti@home to it just to check all is ok and it is running 2 instances of seti, but on checking Task manager both instances are just running on one half of the cpu.
What you should see on a single CPU HT machine running windows is 2 seti processes each using 50%.
The 50% is 50% of total CPU not individual CPU. ie someone lucky enough to have a quad core would see 4x25%, single core would be 1x100% etc
So I think you're ok
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

At the moment I have Folding@home running and before I added Boinc to this system it was showing 2x Folding@home each 50%. Now in Task manager it's showing 1xFolding@home 50% and 2xseti@home 16% and 1xFolding@home 18%.

Gary :?
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Rockinfroggi wrote:Now in Task manager it's showing 1xFolding@home 50% and 2xseti@home 16% and 1xFolding@home 18%.
How many boincs have you got running? looks like you might have 2, if so kill 1 of them.
With your HT CPU you should only have 2 project processes running and 1 boinc process
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Ok, just worked out a temp fix for the mini crunch.

I stopped both instances of folding@home and now both seti are running at 50% each.

BTW, I only have one Boinc client on each system, this is the only one with HT.

Thanks for your time John

Gary
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Rockinfroggi wrote:I stopped both instances of folding@home and now both seti are running at 50% each.
BTW, I only have one Boinc client on each system, this is the only one with HT.
Ahh, folding isn't boinc is it?
that explains it.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

That's right, Folding is not a boinc project though I understand it may eventually become one, I'm loathed to stop folding for them though as it was through this that I was introduced to boinc but from time to time I'm happy to stop folding as for the mini crunch to help raise UK Boincs standings in the stats.

Gary. :)
UBT - Halifax-lad

Rockinfroggi wrote:I'd like to participate in the mini crunch but have been unable to hook up with  Einstien so I'm assuming it's down at the moment, if so when will it be announced that it will be seti?
Just start SETI BETA if you get no joy with Einstein :wink:
Alan Pull

Post by Alan Pull »

Einstein has been up and working perfectly since lunchtime.   Please remember that you will have to remove any app_info.xml-file you may have in your projects/einstein-directory, then restart Boinc.  Lets make this a smashing crunch.
Timby

Post by Timby »

Just downloaded the first WU for the impending Crunch 15.7Megs, now thats what I call a WU!!!!!

I know the start date is the 19th, but is that 00.00 tonight?
UBT - Halifax-lad

Timby wrote:Just downloaded the first WU for the impending Crunch 15.7Megs, now thats what I call a WU!!!!!

I know the start date is the 19th, but is that 00.00 tonight?
Start date is whenever u want to start it :wink:
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Alan Pull wrote:Einstein has been up and working perfectly since lunchtime.   Please remember that you will have to remove any app_info.xml-file you may have in your projects/einstein-directory, then restart Boinc.  Lets make this a smashing crunch.
Couldn't see any app_info.xml-file in the project folder, does that mean I'm good to go? and what do those files relate too :?:   :?

Gary
Timby

Post by Timby »

Rockinfroggi wrote:
Alan Pull wrote:Einstein has been up and working perfectly since lunchtime.   Please remember that you will have to remove any app_info.xml-file you may have in your projects/einstein-directory, then restart Boinc.  Lets make this a smashing crunch.
Couldn't see any app_info.xml-file in the project folder, does that mean I'm good to go? and what do those files relate too :?:   :?

Gary
I would guess so Gary, I didnt have the file either and all appears to be running fine, apart from the size/length of WU!! :hmph:  and the odd Validation error :dontknow:

Timby
Alan Pull

Post by Alan Pull »

The app.info file is a relic from the days when there were various optimised clients for Einstein - so don't worry if you haven't got one - just delete it if you have.
UBT - Halifax-lad

I'm doing SETI instead this weekend 8)
UBT - NyeD

Post by UBT - NyeD »

I have downloaded a three day cache for Einstein and am now good to go. 8)
UBT-Shaman

Post by UBT-Shaman »

I'm crunching and mmm is it a tasty cereal!

8)

Robin
x
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Einstein stats

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Here's the current stats graphs, courtesy of BOINCstats:

Einstein stats:
Credit per day, over the last 60 days:

Total Einstein credit, over the last 60 days:

Hopefully, we should see a nice rise in stats over the next 2-3 days...

regards

Tim
UBT - Janea

Post by UBT - Janea »

Well I'm going away for the weekend but shall ask hubby not to turn the PC off and to check everything is running smoothly.

Have just left a few small WU's running (those under 2 hours) and my nice big Einstein is crunching away.

I like thise big crunches.
Alan Pull

Post by Alan Pull »

Looks like we off to a good start - I think we'll gain a place in the Einstein World Ladder tomorrow.  Nice to see we have so many team spirited members supporting the crunch.
Last edited by Alan Pull on Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveO

Post by SteveO »

Been a lil lax with helpin out here so I'm gonna Crunch with you guys this weekend.
UBT - Janea

Post by UBT - Janea »

Well that's typical  Spent all night on my Einstein WU - a nice big 50+ hour one - and when I came down this morning there were dozens of messages saying it exited with zero status and it it happens repeatedly to reset it so I lost a whole night's crunching  :(
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Ah - you're not a real BOINCer until something like that has happened!

Welcome to the club!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

thanx for the email announcing the einstein crunch, it reminded me of days gone by, its been a long time since I crunched anything, it happens after a format, completely forgot to install boinc again, anyway I got 2 computers crunching einstein now, gonna format a 3rd and install linux and have it crunching aswell.

More Power to the CPU.

Pedro
UBT - PennyQ
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - PennyQ »

My second S5RI WU is just about done, and I've now got 4 more of them at 5hrs each plus a couple of S5R1a 'shorties', so it's romping along nicely.  Luckily Einstein itself is looking reasonably stable too (famous last words...)
The impossible we do today; miracles take a little longer

UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

UBT - PennyQ wrote: Luckily Einstein itself is looking reasonably stable too (famous last words...)

well thats it now.....down hill from here on  :wink:

b. :D
UBT - Halifax-lad

Pedro wrote:thanx for the email announcing the einstein crunch, it reminded me of days gone by, its been a long time since I crunched anything, it happens after a format, completely forgot to install boinc again, anyway I got 2 computers crunching einstein now, gonna format a 3rd and install linux and have it crunching aswell.

More Power to the CPU.

Pedro
Welcome back to BOINC any problems just ask away
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Pedro wrote:thanx for the email announcing the einstein crunch, it reminded me of days gone by, its been a long time since I crunched anything, it happens after a format, completely forgot to install boinc again, anyway I got 2 computers crunching einstein now, gonna format a 3rd and install linux and have it crunching aswell.

More Power to the CPU.

Pedro
Welcome back  :lol:  :lol:
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

Still no S5R2's for me  :(
Should see some over the weekend crunch though.
Timby

Post by Timby »

jaysback wrote:Still no S5R2's for me  :(
Should see some over the weekend crunch though.
No I only have S5RIa WU's at the mo, when are the S5R2's due? Any idea of size/time to complete yet?
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

I think i may of amagined up those S5R2's, could of swawn that i read about them at some point.
To many late nights building pc's then overclocking the nuts off them.
That reminds me - better go to bed as i have work at 07.00  :shock:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

After 24 hours of crunching (since midnight on Friday night), the Einstein Mini-Crunch has so far netted: 28,162.96 credits...

and as the Team daily RAC is a mere 13,726.54 (according to the project), it seems we're on our way...

Keep on crunching...!

regards

Tim
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Iza crunchin boz Iza crunchin :roll:

I take it that pending credits are not going to help the mini crunch? as I seemed to have amassed 1,636 for Einstein  :cry:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

According to BOINCStats we had our best ever performance yesterday with over 30,000 credits AND a World place climb to (ahem) 47. If this is repeated today then we should go up another to the heady heights of 46!

Image Image

UBT-Shaman

Post by UBT-Shaman »

I've crunched so much it makes my teeth ache. i want soup for a week after this!

Still, good to see we're on the up up up!  8)

Robin
Timby

Post by Timby »

Been crunching so hard I had to look twice in the mirror this morning

By this evening it was looking more like

Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Timby wrote:Been crunching so hard I had to look twice in the mirror this morning

By this evening it was looking more like

looking at your RAC I'd say you've been crunching for the rest of us, still, just over an hour to go and I can stop and use the loo and get something to eat, phewwwwwww
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Rockinfroggi wrote:Iza crunchin boz Iza crunchin :roll:

I take it that pending credits are not going to help the mini crunch? as I seemed to have amassed 1,636 for Einstein  :cry:
Well, the pending credits WILL help the project and the team score, but sadly won't be specifically "counted" within the context of the Crunch stats.

However ALL credits count whether issued straight away or at some point later....so it's all worthwhile stuff....!

regards

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:According to BOINCStats we had our best ever performance yesterday with over 30,000 credits AND a World place climb to (ahem) 47. If this is repeated today then we should go up another to the heady heights of 46!

Einstein up by 32,876.40 in the last 24 hours.

Overall stats:
start:  5,743,109.34 (as of 00:01 on 20th Jan)
after 24 hours: 5,771,272.30 (as of 00:01 on 21st Jan)
after 48 hours: 5,804,148.70 (as of 00:01 on 22nd Jan)

Total achieved: 61,039.36

....well done everyone....!

regards

Tim
UBT - Janea

Post by UBT - Janea »

Well it appears to have done the job because it looks to me like we've gone from 46th to Team Ranking 31.  What a result! :blob3:
Semmy

Post by Semmy »

Aye, looks like a cracking effort by all involved!
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Janea wrote:Well it appears to have done the job because it looks to me like we've gone from 46th to Team Ranking 31.  What a result! :blob3:
Hi Jane

Methinks you're putting idea's into our heads..... :wink:

31st place in Einstein is nearly 3 million credits ahead of us.... :oops:

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/team_st ... &to=100#30

regards

Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

No - she's right! Well sort of - if you mix 'n' match.

31st highest RAC - which is still pretty good.

Image Image

Alan Pull

Post by Alan Pull »

Our RAC for the week prior to the Crunch was around 11.2K, it seems to be peaking now at over one and a half times that (17.4K).  This will of course decline again, but vividly indicates one of the most successful crunches ever.  Deserves a round (of beers or cheers) to all those team spirited members who took part.
UBT - Janea

Post by UBT - Janea »

That's strange - cos if you got here
http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/top_teams. ... &offset=20

it says we're No 31.  

I guess Boincstats.com gives a different ranking to the Einstein website.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

thats cos its sorted by RAC rather than total credit
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Janea wrote:That's strange - cos if you got here

it says we're No 31.  

That's right - but that's the RAC order rating you're looking at. Click on the 'total credit' near the top right and the table will list it in total credit order.

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Janea wrote:That's strange - cos if you got here

it says we're No 31.  

Hi Jane,

OK - the link YOU gave shows us at 31st place in terms of Recent Average Credit (which is to be expected as the Crunch meant we returned more WU's than we would do normally).

Whereas, the info I was basing the "placing" on, relates to the Total Overall Credit ranking....!

So, we're both right !

regards

Tim