NAS box for storing CD and DVDs

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

NAS box for storing CD and DVDs

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

I'm just interested to know what sort of solutions people are using to "rip" their music and video (DVD) collections to a NAS box?

Part One:
I've been using VortexBox to rip CDs but have found that in quite a few cases, the titles of the tracks and even the name of the artist and the album have not been recognised. (And then it's a question of going back to these "Un-named" folders and pulling out the original CD again and renaming all the tracks :-( ) And then using MP-Edit to tag all the specific parts of the file).

I've tried some other software, that runs on Windows, and it's not very satisfactory. I've even installed Daphile (which is a bit like VortexBox in that it is a dedicated OS that takes over the entire PC). But that has limitations and seems a bit clunky.

Some others suggest to use FooBar 2000, and others say Media Player is good enough - but VortexBox rips to both high bit rate MP3 *AND* loss-less FLAC and I really want both types of files. It's just that VorteBox seems to be unreliable with regards to skipping tracks and the file naming and identification process...

which leads on to:

Part Two
I want to now rip my DVD collection to my NAS box...and thus far the only software that might do the job is WinxDVD (which is a free download).

Has anyone tried this or found a better solution? Ideally I want to retain the "special features" of the DVD as some software just converts the films to MP4 (say) and the special features are lost.

So, what say you?

regards
Tim
chriscambridge
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Re: NAS box for storing CD and DVDs

Post by chriscambridge »

Personally I would use Netflix, and/or Amazon Prime, and/or NowTV (Sky movies).

You can get a free 30 day trial for Netflix and Amazon Prime.

If you leave NowTV every few months, before you leave they will offer you a deal such as 3 months half price.

These services have many of the classics as well as of course most of the latest releases, can stream in HD and UHD, and only cost around £10 per month (with no contract).
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Chris

Thanks for the suggestion...and those are fine for the newer films that are coming out (or have been made available online).

However, I have a lot of concert DVDs (featuring bands I like) that are not available and I just want to put them on a NAS box so I can access whenever I want rather than having to search for the disc, put it in a player and then wait for it to load up.

Also, a lot of DVDs I have are Special Editions, with extra footage, or with some additional features that are simply not on the streaming services.

regards
Tim
chriscambridge
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Post by chriscambridge »

oh okay, yeah streaming services can't really offer any solutions for that.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi
I was looking at this post and did a quick google search and saw "Handbrake". I've had it on the desktop for ages and forgot what it was! I think I ripped some things and found a few MP4 files that I think I ripped a couple of years ago. Just used VLC Player to see the quality and they seem fine. Free to use.
https://handbrake.fr/

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Mike

Thanks for the input.

Handbrake is video conversion software that can be used to convert from one video format to another. I've used it in the past but it only works "on demand" - ie you have to load up the software, put in the disc and then instruct the software what you want to do with it (choosing file format, resolution etc) and it then does it's job and then it just sits there. I'm not sure if/how it works with the multi-channel audio (ie 2-channel, 5.1, DTS/Dolby Digital etc), or even different languages options on DVDs and subtitles.

What I was looking for is something more along the lines of how the VortexBox (OS) software works - you power up a dedicated PC, load in the disc, it does what it needs to do (basically making a full copy of the DVD), then it ejects the disc and you load up another one. All the files are saved to the local PC HDD and in due course you can cut & paste those files onto the NAS box.

I know there are certain issues with regards to "piracy" issues (in terms of copying DVDs)...coz otherwise, I could get into some "under the counter" trade, selling exact copies of existing DVDs...but given that you can go to CEX or most charity stores and get DVDs for 50p or a £1 or so, I doubt there's a market for me to involve myself ;-)

regards
Tim