Hi There!

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
damienh
UBT Contributor

Hi There!

Post by damienh »

Hi All,

I've just managed to join the forum and thought I'd say hi.

I started with distributed computing with SETI back around 2000. I've had a few stints BOINCing since then and was part of BOINC@AUSTRALIA for some time. I'm originally Australian but have been in London for 15-odd years now.

Currently doing BOINC on a rig with 2xTitan X Pascals and a 1950x 16-core Threadripper. I've turned it off today because of the heat! It is usually on 24/7 however. I've done a lot of World Community Grid over the years and continue with that, despite the minimal credit. I also do some Einstein, GPU Grid, Collatz, LHC. Collatz gives some crazy credit numbers ... !!

Anyway, nice to meet you all and see you around the forums!

Cheers

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Hi There!

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Damien

Welcome to the UBT forum :-)

Looks like you have a pretty impressive rig there...in fact I'm not 100% sure, but you may well be our first forum member with a Titan GPU...and having 2, just moves you further up the tree !!

You've also got a serious number of credits under your belt, so well done for that !!

Feel free to have a wander around the forum - it's been going a long time, so there's plenty to read ;-)

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hello Damien,

Welcome to the team.

Have a look around, ask any questions and make yourself at home.

Mark
damienh
UBT Contributor

Post by damienh »

Thanks for the welcome guys :) I will have a look around ... certainly does seem like this has been a long term endeavour!
UBT - PennyQ
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - PennyQ »

Glad to see a new 'face' on the forum - welcome!
The impossible we do today; miracles take a little longer

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Damien Healy wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:09 am Thanks for the welcome guys :) I will have a look around ... certainly does seem like this has been a long term endeavour!
Hi Damien

Yup - some of us have been in it for the long haul...and although a few people have dropped off, through age, disinterest, or just damaging their plastic laptops, there is still a core of members who have kept the flag flying.

Of course, there's a lot of less relevant stuff still contained within the posts here and to be honest, I know some of the very old stuff should be archived off somewhere but the "history" of the team is what makes it such good thing to be part of...(IMHO).

Given your high level of credits I've also upgraded your forum membership so there's some new sections you can now access, that are not on public display. ;-) (These are principally for Team members only hence why they are not viewable if one isn't a proven Team member).

regards
Tim
damienh
UBT Contributor

Post by damienh »

PennyQ - Thanks!

Hi Timbo,

Thanks a lot for the additional access. I'm pretty sure that you should keep the old content around - as you say, it's part of your history & identity. Doesn't mean I'm going to go and read 15 years of posts of course :)
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Damien Healy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:15 am Doesn't mean I'm going to go and read 15 years of posts of course :)
You disappoint me, who doesn't like reading 20+ pages of useless information about projects that no longer exist?! :lol:

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:24 am You disappoint me, who doesn't like reading 20+ pages of useless information about projects that no longer exist?! :lol:

Mark
Mark, you clearly haven't been monitoring much of the "old stuff" recently :lol: ...as lots of the postings about dormant projects has been moved from the publically viewable sections and is now in a non-accessible section. ;-)

(Note: There are perhaps a few snippets still lying around in various places, that I've not weeded out yet...but that'll happen in time). :-D

regards
Tim
bigsinky
UBT Contributor

Post by bigsinky »

sent you a pm in relation your collatz settings hope you find them useful

slán go fóill
damienh
UBT Contributor

Post by damienh »

Thanks a lot! I can't find a PM from you, but will send you one to discuss.